1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NBA All-Stars (2013, of course)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dogsoldier, Jan 3, 2013.

1. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My votes for All-Stars. Quick notes on my criteria: 1, I haven't looked at how the fans are voting and therefore have no idea how it looks like; 2, I try to give as much credit to the quality of team play as I do to individual play-- that is, if you are putting up 20 ppg on a team that is 2nd or 3rd in the league, that is worth more to me than if you are putting up 23ppg on a team that will not make the playoffs; 3, remember, for the first time, the NBA has essentially removed the "center" designator, meaning none need to be on the team at all; and 4, my starting line-up reflects the 5 players whom I think are playing the best out of the 12 I have selected.

West:
    F Kevin Durant, OKC
    F David Lee, Golden State
    G Chris Paul, LA Clippers
    G Kobe Bryant, LA Lakers
    G Russell Westbrook, OKC
    Bench: F/C Tim Duncan and G Tony Parker, Spurs; G/F Andre Iquodala, Denver; G James Harden, Houston; F Blake Griffin, Clips; C Marc Gasol, Memphis; F/C LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland. (Really struggled w/ inclusion of Gasol and Iquodala--both of their games, statistically, seem slightly down. However, they are both playing big minutes for teams that are more successful than ever, and each of them are key parts of that success. I ultimately believe players should not be overly penalized because they play for deep, athletic, well-coached teams where 8-10 players are capable of contributing on a nightly basis--and therefore, their statistics may not look as gaudy as, say, Kobe's).
    Honorable Mention: C Dwight Howard (this one is contentious--though I figure he'll actually be on the All-Star team this season, probably at the expense of Gasol or Duncan, in reality his statistics are arguably the same as Tim Duncan's--the difference being the Spurs are actually winning, plus Duncan is shooting over 80% [remember when he couldn't shoot them?] from the free-throw line, while Howard's inablity to shoot free-throws has literally lost games for the Lakers this year), G Damien Lillard, G Stephen Curry, G Jamal Crawford, F Serge Ibaka (he should be the 13th man on this squad, in my opinion--he's having an excellent season and has improved significantly each season he's been in the league), F Zach Randolph, G Mike Conley, F Danno Gallinari, G Ty Lawson, C Omar Asik, F Chandler Parsons, C Al Jefferson, G O.J. Mayo, F Andrei Kirilenko, F Kevin Love (in reality he'll probably make the team, too, but he's missed a lot of games for a relatively underachieving team, and I don't think he deserves to make it this season).

East:
    F LeBron James, Heat
    F Carmelo Anthony, Knicks
    F/C Joakim Noah, Bulls
    G Dwayne Wade, Heat
    G Rajon Rondo, Celtics
    Bench: F/C Chris Bosh, Heat; C Tyson Chandler, Knicks; F David West and G George Hill, Pacers; F Josh Smith, Atlanta; G Jrue Holiday, 76ers; G Monta Ellis, Bucks.
    Honorable Mention: G J.R. Smith, C Al Horford (he's quietly put together a good season for a surging Atlanta team and is much like Ibaka, above--he should be the first player put on the team if someone is out due to injury or something), G Jeff Teague, F Danny Granger, C Roy Hibbert, F Luol Deng, G Brandon Jennings, C Brook Lopez (his stats are significant and I gave him a pretty close look), G Deron Williams (I am assuming in reality he'll make the team due to name recognition, likely at the expense of Hill, Holiday, or Ellis--but if you look at his stats, this season he's only the 3rd-best point-guard in the East behind Holiday and Rondo--plus his team is falling in the rankings & he's been publically blamed for his coach's firing), F Paul Pierce, G/F Evan Turner.

Overall, I see a pretty interesting trend. Many of these guys are not the All-Star "perenials" we've seen over the past decade or so. No Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, or Ray Allen, for instance, and I'm not sure how many of the guys I think deserve to be All-Stars this season will still be in All-Star form by next season already (like Dwayne Wade or the indefatigueable Kobe--both of whom will probably keep making the All-Star team based on name-recognition, even when their games decline). I think it's just a matter of time before guys like Evan Turner, Brandon Jennings, Damien Lillard, Stephen Curry, and Chandler Parsons are All-Star level talent each season.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I generally have no problem with your picks. I'd tweak a little here and there, but they are all solid. At least Kobe won't be able to call his team old and slow.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Kobe, actually forgot an adjective to describe his team - not good. While it is true that the Lakers have players who are "old and slow", the real problem is that everyone who doesn't fit that criteria is simply not that good. There's only 3 guys on the team that I would describe as old. The other 9 just aren't playing very well.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hmm - segueing into a Lakers beef.

Old (in NBA terms) - MWP, Kobe (although playing well, he is old, has a lot of mileage and it shows on the defensive side -- he's not playing good D at all), Nash, Gasol (although maybe more a function of injuries, they are old-man injuries), Jamison (if he ever plays again), Blake (ditto for different reasons).

Not Good - Duhon, Morris, Meeks, Clark, Sacre.

Good enough for the role they should be playing - Ebanks (no idea why he isn't getting time in this offense - he's athletic, quick and can defend reasonably well), Jordan Hill (good energy guy, foul prone, but so what?)

I would think, though, that if Dwight were playing like Dwight, a lot of these issues would fall into place. He's not though, and it's hard to tell if that's because playing with Kobe sucks the life out of you (not far-fetched), he's not 100% (well, he's not, but how far off is he?), the offense doesn't work for him (maybe), ANY offense that doesn't feed through him doesn't work for him (which is slightly different than the initial playing with Kobe blows concept), or something else.

My personal opinion is that Kobe is ball hogging too much and Dwight is not Dwight. Even if it means losses, I'd like to see Kobe taking 10 less shots a game, with those shots being split among Dwight, Nash and Pau mainly. There are just possessions where everyone on the floor, in the stands, watching TV and on Mars all know that Kobe is just going to shoot and that's that. That's not basketball and it plays into the other teams' strategies, which generally involve having Kobe get his, while everyone else doesn't. That frustrates the other players and makes them less interested in playing defense (or offense).

Bleh.

5. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

^Yeah, my personal opinion is Sacre and Morris aren't good enough to play in the NBA yet. To be brutally honest.

Duhon is, IMO, a strong third-option as a point-guard or shooting guard (i.e., he should be buried on the bench as a 11th or 12th man). Duhon, Sacre, and Morris are getting way too much burn for a team to be successful in the West. They don't defend, are offensively inconsistent, are turnover-prone, make bad decisions, lack confidence, and draw the attention of the other team's predators, who know they can get easy stats against these 3.

With the exception of one game maybe this entire season, when I've seen Jamison play I've been extremely unimpressed. He not only looks slow and old, but tentative, and at times, just lazy--or so completely confused about what he's supposed to be doing out there that he might as well just be lazy.

Meeks had a decent season or two in Philadelphia, but yeah, so far, his game reminds me what a great back-up shooting guard Shannon Brown was. He at least seems to play hard.

I think one of the problems with Dwight is that he's just not nearly as good an offensive player as some want to give him credit for. His hands are just okay, he can't reliably shoot from farther than 8 or 10 feet, obviously he sucks at the free-throw line, and even the jump hook he relies heavily on is somewhat inconsistent. He's an average passer, though he is relatively unselfish, but he has no particular eye for exploiting the defense (he's no Hakeem, Ming, or Sabonis, guys who could easily pile up 8 or 10 assists against teams if they attempted to double them every time down the court). He can get offensive boards, but other than Pau, there is no one else in the low post to take defensive pressure off of him--so he has to work hard all the time. He is legitimately big, aggressive, and athletic, but now that both his stamina and explosiveness are somwhat lacking due to this injury (as an guy with five discs that are either ruptured or bulging myself, I certainly sympathize), he's struggling. And despite his sunny disposition, he lacks emotional control on the court (though honestly, this makes him eerily similar to his predecessor). He also seems overly defensive when it comes to criticism, too. Perhaps he didn't feel that until he came to LA and is still trying to figure out how to deal with it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.