1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NaNoWriMo!

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Aikanaro, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] W00T! NaNo is but a month away! Let us all join in and write works of exceedingly bad fiction together!

Basic idea - Write 50000 words in one month. Which is 1667 words per day. That month would be November, for those who are numerically challenged. :)

So, what SPers do we have joining the random insanity this year?

www.nanowrimo.org

(Forums open tomorrow)

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmmmmm, sounds like just the motivation I need to transfer that short story I wrote into a full fledged novel. I'm on it!

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I did it last year, and got hooked.

This year i will write a srequel; a sequel filled with flashbacks, making it half-prequel :p

Then agaiun, last year's work is stuck at 72K of words and I feel physically ill at even thingk about it.

*sigh*

Can't wait. I prolly end up pulling the "plot" out of my backside on October 31st...

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Rotku's decided to give it a shot this year. And waht's more, I've convinced my dad, who's always wanted to write a book, to try as well.

Should be a lot of fun :)

5. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Im gonna do for a laugh even if i suck

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I would, but to be honest, I can't be bothered ;) .

7. Arabwel

Media:
    I suffer from a strange urge to write about gunslinging guitarikists and people who have had their eyes ripped out...

I suck.

i am also already panicking :D

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

School ends for me on the 26th of November - lots of exams, then four days to try make up for time spend doing useful stuff. Hmm...

Meh. All shall be well. And if not, it doesn't matter :)

9. Arabwel

Media:
    Last year, I pretended to be sick for over a week to get more writing time :D

I also procastrinated like crazy :p

Now, I just wonder if I can keep myself from plagiarizing Once Upon a Time In Mexico too much?

Edit: This is way, WAY too freaky: Tjhere's another NaNo participant in my hometown! :eek:

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    There's at least one NaNo particpant on the other board I read. Wish I had the time to play along... :(

11. Arabwel

Media:
    One day, you will :)

I am angstiung, since I am actually curently planning to write mainstream fantasy with characters that look suspiciously like Antonio Banderas...

Someone kill me now?

12. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

/me kills Ara.

I am tempted...but still can't be bothered ;)

13. Arabwel

Media:
    Come on, why not?

It's easuer for you who write in English! Here's an example:

"He killed the orc with his sword"

"Hän tappoi örkin miekallaan"

Seee? You get more words 'cause you have prepositions, we have suffixes! It's not fair!

Yes, i suffer from PNS: So sue me.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Say! We should create a language that needs to have lots and lots of extra words to make any kind of sense, and write in that. Or maybe have spaces in between words which mean something depending on the space length or whatever :)

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Chicken.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Er ... what?

17. Arabwel

Media:
    I think he meant "That is why there are beanpoles."

He used that language of your, Aik :p

*shudder*

I think that my stuppid mix of Arabic and Scandinavian/Lapland mythologyy will bite me in the backside before even October is over...

18. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I meant that you shouldn't invent a language purely for the purposes of spamming up your word count, but instead write actual stuff with meaning...

19. Arabwel

Media:
    To misquote a whiny brat, "That's cheating!"

And if you quote back, I shall flay you, pirate or not :p

RIght now, I seem to be unable to prgress in plotting my plot beyond chapter 6: The Sea Voyage

Just how am I supposed to keep the Northmen from figuring out that Twyla is related to their Elderking? And that she is carrying the Sword of Wulfdane?

Not to mention the river. How the hell are there going to be river-barrge-type people ont he other side of the fricking mountains int he stupid empire-that-was-sacked-centuries-ago?

I think I'll have to use elves...

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Who's saying it won't have content? It would just have very long winded content :)
    Anyway, it's not all that different from other padding techniques, just more creative. The point is to make 50 000 words after all, not to have meaning :p

Not that I'm going to do that. Coming up with all the words would be painful - then I'd actually have to learn it.

@ Ara: Er, maybe she can have a really big cloak and put it under that? :grin:

And invent some crap about how they're the last remains of some random empire - or use river sprites! Bwahahahaha

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.