1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NaNoWriMo '05

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Deathmage, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    It's that time of the year again. Well, technically, it's October, but October is when the plotting begins, when the people begin to panic, when new bloods sign up! Yay!

The site seems to be a bit kooky currently, but here it is anyway for people who do not know about it: http://www.nanowrimo.org

And for those who do know about it...right! Let there be griping and complaining about plot bunnies and basic common sense!

Anyways. Who's doing it this year?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am. So far my idea is magical realism in civil war Spain. I fear that my characters are mostly going to die - but as I plan to have a very good deal of them, it doesn't matter so much.

Still need to decide what time period to end at - going through the entire war would take too long. Hmm, will need to go through the timelines again.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I have had about a gaxzillion ideas, invcluding but not limited to a swequel to last year's tripe, a romance based on the Pirates games, a romance involving a heiress and a circus performer, and other immensely weird crap.

I have settled to a fantasy romance set in pseudo-Roman and pseudo-Reneissance Spain sort of places; low-ish fantasy, grand on cultuire, much Things Rather Unsuitable For Talking About In A Family Friendly Board.

Incidentally, this is the same world I spent most of last year's October building, and then ditched in favor of popstar romance :D

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So just to confirm again: You don't actually win anything for doing this do you?

5. Arabwel

Media:
    Only the satisfaction of a job well done (and a nifty plague in .PDF format hat you can print out) :D

[ October 03, 2005, 02:13: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I would like to point out it's a plaque, not a plague. :p

And yeah, Harbourboy, you don't win anything, but you feel good afterwards.

And maybe I can put it on my future CVs...

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So you're going to bust your gut to write some stuff by a certain date, and nobody is going to read it, and you get nothing for it? Why not just do that all the time then instead of waiting for a particular time of the year to do it?

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Because, Harbourboy, you try doing it. It's much better when lots of people are doing it together, and it's very hard to get inspired normally. The constant stress of writing 1666.33 words per day is a hard one to overcome.

9. Harbourboy

But you only care if people you know are doing it, like Arabwel and Aikanaro. So you could organise your own nanobot writing marathon whenever you wanted to. Plus, how does anyone know if you've met your quota anyway? If the stress gets too much, you could just claim you'd done it and nobody would be any wiser. If it's your own honesty and self discipline that keeps you from cheating, then that same self discipline should apply at any other time of the year too.

:confused:

10. Arabwel

Media:
    The Nanowrimo FAQ

Call it mass hysteria if you will *shurug*

A shared burden is a lighter one, after all :D

11. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

/me pokes DM

Trust you to set off a wave of excitement through the boards... albeit only Aik and Ara! :p

I'll be in it this year, though the damn sites not letting me join yet, still! Grrr! I need a plot, but there is still a month...

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Oh, memememememe! Mine is going to be a treatise on the Religious and Political Implications of Restoring Magic to Early 21st Century Philadelphia.

And what do you mean, "start" planning? I already have an outline of what should happen in each chapter, a cast of characters, about half of whom have names, and three pages of notes on characterizations, incidents, and questions to be addressed. I've even started the research into..well, you'll see. ;)

13. Arabwel

Media:
    *giggle*

I did majority of my planning last year - then I didn't use it. Now I just have to expands on the "characters" and the setting...

But knowing nano, nothing goes like it should.

14. Harbourboy

Why not start writing now, so you can get a bit of a head start?

15. Arabwel

Media:
    Because taht would be cheating!

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Harbourboy, don't be silly, that would be dishounorable and would defeat the whole point completely. I've tried doing something with Aikanaro, but it doesn't work. It feels much better when you know some several thousand people in the world are struggling with you.

Lantus: it was between me or Aikanaro, and we "flipped a Mystarian coin" - namely, went into #sp_mm and asked Mystra to roll a 1d2.

17. Harbourboy

Are the stories you wrote last year any good, or has the quality suffered somewhat from being spewed out at such an express pace.

Does nanobot have a grammar checker? If not, I'd hate to have to proof-read anything that Arabwel had typed at a faster than normal speed.... :eek:

18. Arabwel

Media:
    I would say that my last year's Nano, Flavor of the Month, is the best thing I have written to date. Of course it has been though a lot of editing and is far from ready - about 1/3 done at 125K words - but i would say that the quality was not worsened by the quantity.

I'd offer proof in form of letting you read it but I doubt you would find it very interesting :p

19. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    What I wrote last year was crap. But there was much goodness in it. And it was the first time I've written something that long, so it wasn't too bad considering...I blame a total lack of structure and thought beforehand, as I literally got the idea on November 1st.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I haven't even read my NaNo from last year - but even if it is total utter crap, well, so what? I wrote 50000 words in November and had plenty of fun while doing it - which is enough for me :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.