1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Named computers?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Midwinter, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

So, how many of you have named your computer? What's it called? Why?

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Pandora - open the box and bad things happen...

3. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Steve. Bow down and believe!

4. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Quite simply 'Stordatorn'. Translation: Th' big 'puter.

5. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    My dad has several names for his when it's not working, but none of them are publishable ;)

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Sin.

And I got a couple of "Parental Advisory" tags decorating the monitor.

7. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I just call it "the precious" or "My baby" but otherwise none.
    I'll dig up a cool drow name for it one day, will be nice for the chatroom too.
    /me proceeds with whacking NaeVa and all you other haters out there over the head with a mouse
    :borg:

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Esion is my desktop. I only realised recently it was Noise backwards. But it still fits - She has the best speakers I've seen on a computer so far :xx:

Odessy the laptop, because it's called an EODC and I just thought that it would fits as a name. He is a bit cracked and all now. But still works, despite getting a virus from nowhere :confused:

9. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Every computer I've ever had, I've named. (Until reading this thread I thought that was an eccentric quirk confined to Mac users. ;_;) Time to show how nerdy I am.

I have an older iMac, one of the candy-colored ones (bright girly pink, LOL), called Gabrielle because it was cute, but was capable of big things. This is only funny when you consider it was on a LAN with my old workhorse Power Mac 8100/80, called Xena, and a 486 named Joxer 'cause, well, it never seemed to work right. Unfortunately I finally had to put Xena out to pasture last month, as she died for the (last) time. Fortunately, unlike the show, the iMac is not carrying the 8100's parts around in a jar.

My 4 yr old Gateway (don't look at me like that! my mom bought it and didn't know any better)...that one is named Timmy. Because it's "special". Let's just say it took the short bus off the assembly line. :rolleyes:

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hehe, i actually (seriously) have never thought about naming mine, but after reading this thread i would have to name mine... sick boy. named after the character in the movie Van Wilder because IT ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT hehe. frickin annoying it is.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In all the years I've worked with computers, the idea of naming one has not occured to me even once... Guess I'm strange. :shake:

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Haven't really used it at all, but since giving it a name when Windows asks it is supposed to be good, I named it "NAVi" after the fairy in the Ocarina of Time. :D

A little packet of info, and fun too. ;)

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Grond :lol:

14. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Dell....

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Rasmus. It's a normal Swedish name which the former owner have and therefore called his but I find the name so damn ugly so I decided to keep it. :D

I also call it Cyberkill because it have crashed so many times that I am sure it will one day bring the whole cyberspace with it when it crashes. ;)

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Last one was named Faragon, this one has two drives (C: Command and E: Azuth)

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Mine is named Jenova Falcon, after the alien in FInal Fantasy 7 and Millennium Falcon of Star Wars fame... . why? Because she's an evil bitch that keeps brealing down but I still love her :p

I usually just call her "Jen" :p

18. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

All the computers that I have had haven been called "Heimdall", like the Norse god who guards the entrance to Valhalla... and because that was the first game I played in my first PC.

19. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Never named mine myself, but my wife named the one I had when we met. I am now on Ray III, after Ray (retired) and Ray Jr. (demoted to being used by my wife).

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, if you want to know what I typed in the "Computer name" dialog box when first installing windows, then my dad's computer is POS...short for Piece of Sh**, my brother's computer got the name of PoserSurFer, and my laptop has the name, InspiAaron 5150 (combination between Inspiron 5150 and my name). I was the one who set up all the computers in my house, so I got to name them all. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.