1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Name pronunciation thread 2

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dr_Asik, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Making a video playthrough of Baldur's Gate has made me wonder how a lot of names are pronounced, especially given that English is not phonetic and not my first language. :xx: I made a similar thread a while ago for Icewind Dale 2, here's one for Baldur's Gate (1 and 2 combined).

Viconia - I usually say Vic-OH-nee-ah (as in Victoria), but in BG2 I heard Edwin say Vike-OH-nee-ah, so either he's wrong or that's the way you're supposed to say it.
    Adalon - ADD-uhl-on
    Firkraag - FUR-crag (could it be Fire-crag?)
    Gaelan Bayle - GALE-uhn-BALE
    Melissan - MEH-lee-ssahn
    Phaere - Fair
    Sendai - SEN-d-aye
    Solaufein - SOL-uf-ein
    Aerie - AIR-ee
    Mazzy - MAH-tzee
    Nalia - NAH-lee-ah
    Haer'Dalis - Hair-DALE-iss
    Hakaeshar - HAH-kesh-ar
    De'Arnise - Deh- Ar- neese
    Githyanki - Gith-YAWN-key
    Sahuagin - Sah-who-AHG-inn
    Balor - BAH-ler or BALE-er?

That'll be it for now, I'll probably be back with more at some point. Thanks!

2. Samael Venom of God Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My take on those.

Viconia - Vye-koh-knee-ah
    Adalon - Ah-da-lon
    Firkraag - Fir-kray-ag (although I never pronounce it right [the way I think is right anywya] even in my head)
    Gaelan Bayle - Gay-lan Bale
    Melissan - MEH-lih-ssahn
    Phaere - Fey-ear
    Sendai - Sen-die
    Solaufein - So-lao-fein
    Aerie - Air-ee
    Mazzy - May-zee (although I know that to be wrong from ingame dialogue, should be Mah-zee according to that I think).
    Nalia - Nah-lee-ah
    Haer'Dalis - Hair-Da-Lease
    Hakaeshar - Hah-kay-shar
    De'Arnise - Deh-Ar-Knees
    Githyanki - Gith-yank-ee
    Sahuagin - Sa-hua-gin (Sounds stupid but I don't know how else to read it)
    Balor - Bale-or

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Viconia - Jansen and Edwin both pronounce her name as Vye-CONE-yah. I prefer Vee-CON-yah (as in VicTORia, spoken quickly).
    Adalon - ADD-uhl-on. "Avalon", swap D for V
    Firkraag - I use both FEER-crag and Fire-crag, though the way he himself pronounces it (the official pronunciation, I guess) is Fire-crag.
    Gaelan Bayle - also GALE-uhn-BALE. I sometimes go with GEH-lan, when I don't feel like pronouncing the "ay".
    Melissan - also MEH-lee-ssahn
    Phaere - Fair or Fairy
    Sendai - sen-DIE. Officially though I think it's SEN-die.
    Solaufein - SOL-uhwo-fin. No idea how it's supposed to sound officially.
    Aerie - both AIR-ee and AY-ree
    Mazzy - MAH-zee
    Nalia - also NAH-lee-ah
    Haer'Dalis - Hair-DA-lis (like you would say "the" in "the world" except with a D)
    Hakaeshar - Hah-KAY-shar
    De'Arnise - Dee- Ar- NEESE or Day- Ar- NEESE
    Githyanki - Gith-YUHN-key
    Sahuagin - Sah-HOG-in (lazy I know, appropriate imo)
    Balor - BAH-ler and BAY-lor

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Do you not play with the sound on? Most of those are said several times.

Adalon, the drow and the hakeashar probably being the exceptions.

From other drow names I'd say Phaere was more like "fairer" but the ai a slightly more ay syllable. Solaufein as "sol-ow-fein" fein rhyming with vein.

Adalon I say as is typed, same with hakeashar breaking syllables at the shortest point.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Viconia - va-Va-VA-VOOM
    Adalon - oh-my-gawd
    Firkraag - F*CK-ME!
    Gaelan Bayle - Ga-ma-gold Bag
    Melissan - Mel-is-not-sane
    Phaere - da-ick-teez
    Sendai - Does-int-she-die-ever
    Solaufein - Sac-ri-fice
    Aerie - AIR-head
    Mazzy - Dam-wha-a-voice
    Nalia - Whi-nee-ah
    Haer'Dalis - Hair-ee-ass
    Hakaeshar - Hak-a-shaft
    De'Arnise - Duh-plane
    Githyanki - Go-ahead-and-yank-me
    Sahuagin - Sue-shi
    Balor - What-the-hell-is-that

Harbourboy likes this.
  6. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

^ :lol:

7. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I think it's ok when these names are not pronounced exactly the way they are in the English versions of the game.
    It wouldn't make this much of a difference since a light accent is always present when not speaking in your native tongue (if you haven't grown up bilingual that is).

By the way I don't think Firkraag mentions his name vocally, if I'm not mistaken.
    I'd spell it fi:rkra:k. Symbols approximately as in IPA, ':' means long vowel, 'i:' means 'ee' as in 'bee'.

@T2Bruno
    why 'me'? I'd rather say 'you', at least if you encounter him as a first time player ;).

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] He does in human form :)

9. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    then it's as Paracelsi said, I never noticed it.
    Meh, I prefer my version ^^.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...me -- said when you suddenly realize you're in way too deep (as in "I'm really screwed").

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I do agree that most are spoken in-game, so there shouldn't be much question on the pronunciation.

The only one I seem to differ on is Phaere - I always thought it was similar to the word fairy.

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I always thought the human representations were more endowed than the elven or half-elven ones.

Also, I thought Gaelan Bayle was pronounced as: Didn't-I-kill-you-already?

13. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Drow stature is slightly different from typical elves, they're shorter and more curved, hence weighing more than surface elves too.

As for didn't I kill you already - Bridge district - Bubbles and her suitors, anyone? :D

14. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, I may have mistaken Gaelan for Saemon. Same sentiment, really.

15. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A number of these are pronounced in the game. If you don't recall them from previous playthroughs, keep your ears peeled for them. Here are the ones that I'm pretty certain are pronounced in game.

Adalon - I had thought this was pronounced at least once or twice.
    Firkraag - Lord Jierdan introduces himself in the Copper Coronet, stating his full name.
    Gaelan Bayle - His name is said by the narrator when you start chapter 1.
    Melissan - Her name is said plenty. Gromnir says it a lot, for example.
    Solaufein - I believe the female drow say it once or twice.
    Mazzy - She introduces herself when you first meet her.
    Nalia - Her name is said many times. Isaea Roe'nall says it a few times. I recall that certain companions will say it.
    Haer'Dalis - His name is spoken a few times. I know Raelis Shai (sp?) says it during the quest to free him.
    De'Arnise - I think this is said at least once or twice
    Githyanki - The main Githyanki searching for the silver sword LOVES to say what his race is called.

I only mention this as sometimes there's no substitute for actually hearing these names spoken.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.