1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My ranger needs a new pet

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Colthrun, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] I have just finished SoU with a pure Ranger, and I'm going to play HotU with him. Now, Dorna and my animal companion, a dire wolf named Raincloud, died bravely in the final battle with Heurodis. I couldn't care less about the dwarf, but the big furball had been with my ranger since level 6 (only had to re-summon him whenever I levelled up) and never died before. Obviously, I could keep using Raincloud under the pretext that I carried his body to the Shadow Plane before escaping falling Undrentide, and had him resurrected later. To be honest, I think the poor beast deserves the rest and if I didn't take Dorna's lighter corpse, I don't think I'd have bothered with the bulk of a dire wolf either.

So I am getting a different animal companion and I need some input to choose one. I'm not a powergamer, and I basically chose the Dire Wolf because I liked its appearance on screen. Also, I'm not really interested in the bear, the hawk, or the badger. Taking into account that my character is supposed to spend some time in the Plane of Shadow, and that I 'm also going to change his alignment before starting HotU (he went from prey to hunter while living in Shadow City), I was thinking that some suitable choices would be:

1. A Dire Rat. Heck, any city is bound to have some rats. Not a powerful companion, but it makes sense. I'd probably end up calling it Big Boo. :D

2. A sneaky, shadowy Panther. It could be a native animal of the Plane of Shadow. This one is really tempting because of its sneak attack.

3. A Spider. There were plenty in Undrentide, so I guess one could have used one of the portals in the Arcanist Tower. I have never used one, not even as summoned monster, so I haven't got a clue about how useful it may be.

4. A normal Wolf, with which my character could have bonded AFTER leaving the Plane of Shadow and before going to Waterdeep. I have played a bit with one, and the Fear Howl comes in handy sometimes. On the other hand, it looks a bit too small when you get used to the Dire Wolf.

I'd like getting opinions, especially those of who may have played a ranger or a druid with any of these animals.

[ September 05, 2006, 17:17: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

2. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I would take the panther. I have taken it before as a companion and liked its usefullness.

3. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The panther fits the story well. You found him in the Plane of Shadow. And he'll blend right in in the bleak caverns of Undermountain and the Underdark.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Panther is obviously a great choice. It's sneak attack is a killer. Buff him up a bit for good measure and watch the body count. Of course, it may just come down to the part where all you'll do is stand and engage the opponent, while your panther shreds him. Poor AI usualy takes care of this, in a way that panther charges anything he sees first, not getting the sneak attack damage.

My choice would be the spider, but mostly because i've played with the panther all to many times.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'm just going to go with the flow and say that a panther would be a good compnaion for your ranger. Rats just aren't heroic enough for HotU.

6. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Panther rules supreme! Use it, no need to explain why.

7. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

It seems that the panther is the overall favourite... I forgot the dire boar in the list above, but I've tested it and the rat, and their interactions when you scold them are quite funny.

In any case, it seems there aren't many Rangers/Druids around. :)

EDIT: An update: after my ranger and his new panther were continuously and mercilessly slaughtered by hordes of Duergar and Drow, I've decided that he's better suited to fight on the surface. Still, he wrote "I was here" in the walls near the well before asking to be lifted back to the surface in utter defeat.

[ September 12, 2006, 11:15: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.