1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My new system...rate pls!!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hey all, this is my config which I picked up 3 days ago...

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4 GHz
    2 GB Transcend 667 MHz DDR2 RAM
    ASUS P5B Motherboard
    Western Digital 300 GB SATA HDD (7200 RPM)
    ATi Radeon X1300 512 MB DDR3 RAM with 750 (IIRC) MHz GPU
    LG 18x DVD+-RW Combo drive
    Samsung 940 BW 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Antec 550W SMPS unit
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop (the 1500 rs one)
    Ehh...can't remember the Cabinet brand and model...but its ATX form factor, with extra cooling fans built into the side casing...

Edit2: UPS system and Creative 4.1 speakers (dunno model number at the moment)

TOTAL system price inclusive of all taxes, Rs. 83000 (rounded up)

Uh, that would be...1,854.96 USD or 1,420.59 EUR

What do you guys reckon?? Is this a powerful system?? Did I get a good price on it or did I get ripped off?? Are the components good?

Edit: And yeah, before anyone else points it out...I got an X1300 because I only needed a decent low-mid segment card which lets me play Oblivion, NFS Carbon, PREY, FEAR and CS:S at decent graphics and fps...until I save up enough to buy the 8800 GTX!! :evil:

I don't have enough money right now.. :o

[ December 19, 2006, 05:15: Message edited by: Faraaz ]

2. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I got a pretty similar system, the major difference being a nvida 7950GT for a similar price. Its been great so far no trouble at all and runs everything smoothly.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I echo what Duffin said...well...sort of. :p

First off, the ATI X1300 has a core clock of around 450MHz...the higest I've seen it, was overclocked at 600MHz and required a very large HSF. Personally, I would have spared a little more cash for something a little faster. At this point, the *slowest* card I would go with is a ATI X1650 Pro. They retail for around $130. :thumb:

Other than your video card, your system looks pretty good. :rolling:

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

@Kitrax: I suggest actually reading the first post?

@Faraaz: Looks a bit expensive, but generally it's a good system. Especially once you get that 8800GTX.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I think the price was just a little high, but you didn't get ripped off. Whoever built it probably should have squeezed in a little bit better graphics card for you, espeically at that price.

I have a similar system also, and it runs everything that I've thrown at it so far. I paid about half that for the CPU, mainboard, power supply, memory and graphics card, but I used an older case (Thermaltake Tsunami), monitor (21" Sony CRT), Asus 8X DVD writer, keyboard and mouse, and a logitech 5300 5.1 sound system, which is about 1 year old also.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well, I've done direct conversions of prices as quoted on newegg.com (which doesn't ship to India incidentally...) and turns out that a lot of components are HEAPS cheaper abroad than in India :( . Especially if you are looking at high end, original components with warranty etc, if I wanted a dodgy system off the grey market then yeah...I could've shaved like 200 dollars off the price.

Also, I have been most impressed with the CPU+RAM combination...gaming is so-so because of the crap card...but Photoshop, Office stuff, Goldwave, Aftereffects...all my CPU intensive apps basically, run in 1/3rd of the time my 3.2 GHz Netburst based P4 used to run... :love:

Edit: Forgot to add, I picked up a UPS system and a set of Creative Speakers (4.1) which I did not mention above, but which also contributed to the over-all cost...keeping this in mind, is the price alright?

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That looks like a system that could power the Death Star. Wow! I'm jealous.

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Doubt it could even render a Death Star real time.

It's good, but crappy for it's price now.

When he gets a decent keyboard and mouse (I use Logitech Office Comfort & Logitech MX510), and a 8800GTX, then it's a powerful system.

EDIT: With 4.1 Creative speakers and an UPS system, it's still a bit high, but really, seeing you're in India it's not a bad price.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I don't remember reading that edit...oh yeah, it wasn't there yet... :rolleyes:
    Yeah, but by the time most of us can save up the $600+, the 8800 will be shadowed by the next 'big' card. :p :rolling:

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Still looks like a pretty flash system to me. Too expensive, but still pretty flash.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Kitrax: Stands to reason I'd buy the next big card then! :p

12. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Looks like a nice system to me. I have no way of knowing wether or not if it is a good deal where you live, but I could get it cheaper over here. Most importantly the questions is wether or not you like it.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Brallrock: Mate, I'm lovin it! :D Just wish I could turn up the graphics while I was playing Oblivion...but I managed to use a Radeon 9800 for over two years...I can manage another 6 months with an X1300! :D

14. WiZinc Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@Faraaz: At what specs are you running Oblivion?
    'Cos I've got way crappier system and, imho, it runs very smoothly with, if I remember correctly, 800x600 med-high settings.

Oh yeah the system.
    Well I don't know about your HDD usage but I would've bought much more HDD space, of course depends on the user and such.
    I've got 500Gt and it still isn't enough, I'm drooling at the mere thought of getting the 2Terabyte Ethernet racks. Though I know I'm not buying them anytime soon, like 30 years. :D

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

1024x768, all sliders at 50% except object distance which is at 75%...everything else set to normal...and yeah...HDR is enabled with 4x anisotropic filtering via the ATi Control Centre...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.