1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My new Game - What are your thoughts on it?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Abdel - Bhaal Spawn, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Abdel is back into action. This time around though Abdel is not a human or a half-elf, instead he is a mean green hammer swinging machine; Abdel is a Half-Orc Cleric/Swashbuckler. Although Abdel is the ugliest humanoid to walk the planet (and I mean u-g-l-y), he provides leadership through his deeds, such as protecting the weaker members of his group by running into battle, healing other party members before himself, and scouts ahead to report on the number of enemies and remove any traps. Abdel does not attack his enemies in the back, that is dishonorable, and does not hide into the shadows when in the heat of battle, but he will hide into the shadows to scout ahead and find out if there are any traps or enemies ahead. Abdel believes his strength, agility, divine casting powers, and tactical knowledge of warfare will help keep his friends alive.

This is the first time I play a Cleric/Thief, and I am very impressed with this characters abilities. Before I created this character I wrote the most important abilities I wanted from my character and they are as followed:
    - Spell Casting (Divine or Arcane)
    - Thievery
    - Tanking ability

I know I could have the same abilities from F/M/T, but that is the character I usually play. I wanted to try something different, so I ended up creating a Half-Orc Cleric/Swashbuckler. With the Swashbuckler and Cleric abilities this character can tank, cast spells and is the main thief for my group. This character could solo through the whole game, and he doesn’t require healing potions. The only knocks I have against this character are that he cannot specialize like a single class Swashbuckler and does not gain additional attacks per a round like a multi-class fighter; even though the Cleric/Swashbuckler has it disadvantages, he does tank very well and with his divine casting buffs he wrecks havoc on his enemies.

Now that you know about Abdel let me introduce you to his friends. His best friend and half-sister Imoen is the groups Mage. Before she put her nose into the magical books of art she taught Abel how to break into locked house and chest, how to disarm simple traps and the art of stealth. Soon after Abdel learned the basic of thievery from Imoen she started to read and study the arts of arcane magic.

Once Abdel and Imoen met up outside Candle Keep they took off and headed out to the Friendly Arms Inn; it was there they ran into some of Gorion’s old friends Kahlid and Jaheria. When Abdel and Imoen first met these two, Imoen and Kahlid had a little spout. Kahlid takes offense to Imoen magic and Imoen takes offense to Kahlid’s hatred for her craft, but after getting to know one another they release they both are fighting for the same cause and that is all that truly matters.

As for Jaheria, though married to Kahlid, Abdel find her very attractive; he knows he will be shooting into darkness if he wanted a romantic relationship with her, because he is ugly and she is married. What make Jaheria so beautiful in Abdel’s mind are how she act tough and is tough, and her head strong opinions; as well as her looks.

After meeting up with Jaheria and Kahlid, the group headed south to Naskel; rumors afloat the group believes they will find out what is going on. Once in Naskel the group is attacked by a mercenary and thanks to a raging warrior, Minsc, there life was saved. Minsc noticed that each member of the group is equipped for travel and asked Jaheria if they would accompany him to rescue his witch. At that point the group joins up with the barbaric warrior; his strength will be a great addition to the group who could use a strong arm warrior. Minsc informs them that his witch is being held captive by some dog faced creatures, and he knows the way. Minsc requested they rescue her before they investigate the mines, because his witch is powerful and can help them out with her magic. The group heads off towards the Gnoll Forest.

After a gruesome battle and killing quite a few gnolls Minsc’s witch, D, is rescued. D is a witch but not as powerful as Imoen. Imoen and D get well acquainted and from their discussion Imoen learns that D is a gypsy and her magic is limited in comparison to Imoens, but she believe her music will benefit the group when in battle, because she learned how to confuse her enemies through her songs. Abdel believes D music can be useful and agrees D and Minsc are more than a welcome additional to this group. Abdel asked both Imoen and D to work together with their magic and bows and arrows to support the group in battle from afar, since both of them are not as well protected as the other group members.

Below the group is listed by name, class/kit and duties in the group….

Abdel – Cleric/Swashbuckler – Lvl: 5/5 – Divine Caster, Scout/Thief, and Tank
    Imoen – Mage/Swashbuckler – Lvl: 2/5 – Arcane Caster and Range Support
    Kahlid – Wizard Slayer – Lvl: 5 – Tank
    Jaheria – Fighter/Avenger – Lvl: 4/4 – Divine Caster and Tank
    Minsc – Barbarian – Lvl: 5 – Tank
    Daylier – Jester – Lvl: 5 – Arcane Caster and Range Support

I modified each character in my game to give flavor to their personality and portraits than the plain old BG1 class. I like this group and the adjusted class/kit. I can’t wait to complete BG1 portion of BGT and get into BG2. Right now the group is heading back to Naskel, but after letting Minsc lead the way back to Naskel the group is traveling up the coast.

I keep on hearing about playing least used classes and kits. My group has one character that is probably over played a Barbarian, but that character fits perfectly for Minsc and that is why he is that kit and not another one. As for the rest of my group I believe their classes or kits are the one that most people don’t pay much attention too. As seen above my group has a Half-Orc Cleric/Swashbuckler, a Human dual class Swashbuckler/Mage, a Fighter/Avenger, a Jester, and a Wizard Slayer. Most players cannot stand the Wizard Slayer’s restrictions, some players find the no back stab multiplier for a Swashbuckler robbery of one of the thief’s special abilities, some of you believe the Avenger disadvantage of -2 to strength and constitution are two high, I did remove these from Jaheria stats, and a Jester is a waste because the music does not get stronger as he or she level’s up, but the truth behind this group is that each character special ability or skill or some times lack of compliment one another.

First off Abdel not having back stab is not a big deal, because his job is to be a front line tank and provide healing as needed, and with the added combat bonuses from being a swashbuckler Abdel kit fit him nicely. Kahlid restriction on items is no big deal. He is not in the group to garnish him in magical equipment, but too equipped with enough equipment to protect him and provide melee support. Imoen being a Swashbuckler made sense since Abdel is a multi-class Cleric/Swashbuckler, and he learned his thieving skills from Imoen, and it was only right to give her the Swashbuckler kit and than dual to a mage. As for Jaheria, her personality fit the Avenger kit perfectly, and when she advances to level 7 as a Druid her shape changing form will come in handy; not only that, but the mage spells she learns can be beneficial to the group by allowing the mages to memorize other spells. Minsc’s history and personality fit perfectly for a Berserker or a Barbarian, but when it came down to picking between these two classes I decide the Barbarian would be a better fit for Minsc. Last but not least is D; when deciding on her class/kit I wanted something that would fit in well with Minsc and her roaming the land. After much thought I decide she should be a gypsy, and I know there is a gypsy kit out there to use, but I wanted to stay with the original classes/kits in BG2. After much that I decided the Jester kit would be the best fit for a gypsy character, and that is how D became a Jester.

My group is design by matching the NPC personality to a class/kit, and now that I have my group for BG1 together, what do you think of the group? If you were to change any of the characters class/kit in my group who would you change and why?

Also who do you think I should pick up in BG2 and ToB.

2. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm waiting for Chapter 2, "I Arrive at the Friendly Arm Inn", before I comment.

3. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What would that cleric/swashbuckler's THAC0 be at lvl 20? That's where the D&D rules get by me. I know the cleric's THAC0 is 2nd only to a fighter's but will the 1/1 bonus the swashbuckler get be added to only the thief class then it's compared to the cleric's, or would it basically be a cleric with an even better THAC0 yet?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It would basically be a cleric's THAC0 with the bonuses supplied by the Swashbuckler advantages. At level 20 it'd be a THAC0 of 4. Down to 2 at level 22, 1 at level 25, and down one point every five levels from there to -2 at level 40 or -4 at level 50.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I still don't understand, why a Wizard Slayer, Paladin would be a much better choice.
    Otherwise nice group (and story)

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Coolness, trying new things are fun, I think C/Swashy will do nicely, good luck!

7. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

I picked a Wizard Slayer for Khalid because it fits him better than a Paladin. As for the Swashbuckler bonuses to attack it applies to the Cleric THAC0. As for trying something new, I am totally into this group right now. It is hard to play like I would want because I have a young daughter to take care of every evening. I maybe play 5 hours a week if I am lucky. That is why it takes me so long to get into games.

8. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

cleric/thieves are fun, no doubt about it. i prefer my stormlord/thief, backstabbing with 25 str, destructive blow and the half spear is too good to pass up. the only problem is the general suckitude of 4th and 5th level spells

9. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

My group ran into a little problem once they entered BG. I had to reload from the Cloakwood Mines, right after I beat that area. So I am not that far off from where I was before. I just got into BG and when I entered the thief guild I was attacked. After that I realized I missed the password and I had to reload. Not too much harm done. I only have to go back and redo the area above the FAI and after that I will be back into BG.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.