1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My new familiar doesn't appear

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lotlanne, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I started SoA as a chaotic neutral mage and my familiar was a cat. Then doing the quests for the tears of Bhaal I messed up and turned out to be neutral evil. My familiar now is a rabbit. But the thing is when I release him, he does not appear next to me, but disappears from my inventory. Has anybody ever had a bug like this?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not myself no. Do you have the latest patches and fix packs?

3. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31

I don't have anything but what comes in the box when you buy the game. I haven't downloaded any MODs or patches, because my old computer was too slow and trashed, and with the new one I just haven't got around to do it. Not that the familiar was very useful, anyway, I was always carrying that cat in my inventory - was afraid it might get killed otherwise, but I wanted to see the rabbit running around anyway...

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Evil alignments do not have Rabbit familiars anyway so yes it is a bug and if you don't have the patches and fix packs then you will have a lot more bugs like that.

5. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

IIRC, evil characters get either an Imp or a Quasit.

Curious -- if you think that familiars aren't useful, why did you have one? Hopefully for more than just a few more HP.

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Actually the extra HPs is the main reason I'd get a familiar. I've heard they don't upgrade so a useful familiar in SOA would be useless by the time you got to TOB but the extra HPs sounds pretty cool. Mages in my games never have much in the way of HPs and always seem to end up getting killed by criticals and lethal spells so another dozen or so HPs would be well worth having the familiar, even if you don't get anything else from it.

7. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You heard incorrectly. Familiars get some serious upgrades when you move to ToB.

8. Etrigone Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I had a similar problem with this a while back, except in my case the character was lawful evil. There's a bug that you got turned to NE if you did any of the quests in an evil fashion, even if you started out evil.

The problem you have is that your alignment doesn't match that of the familiar (which is the same problem I had, just that in your case the alignment change was 'correct'). I could have but didn't use an editor to change my familiar to the correct one; instead, I killed it, ate the CON point loss, and summoned a new one. You should be able to use SK or something similar to both change the inventoried familiar and mod the globals that list what you have as a familiar.

Btw, the other poster was correct; the rabbit is the familiar for true neutrals. Dust mephits are familiars for NE characters (this from experience and Dan Simpson's FAQ/qalkthrough).

9. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31

Spelladonna: I summoned the familiar just out of curiosity. I've played 3 times as a fighter and paladin, and it was my first time as a mage, so I was trying new stuff. I have never used it in any other way than for the HP. But I guess even that rabbit still adds some, though it doesn't do anything else at all.
    Etrigone: you could at least kill your familiar. I cannot kill mine, because it doesn't leave the inventory, and I cannot summon a new one, because I already have that one. Not that I really need to, because I am almost done, but still I kinda liked to pet and feed my cat sometimes.

[ March 11, 2004, 20:03: Message edited by: Lotlanne ]

10. Etrigone Gems: 2/31

You still should be able to use SK to change your inventoried familiar (plus related variables), I believe.

Er, not that I'm insisting you do; you might not be comfortable with that. And yeah, it's nice to have the little critter following you around.

As an aside, I always thought it should be able to talk to/with Cespenar; they're both kind of the same sorts of critters, in an abstract way.

11. Alak Xarann Gems: 2/31

Heh. I did something like this through sheer stuipity: I was a fighter mage, and once I got out of Jonnt's dudgen, I bought a scroll of Find F. Then I realized I had my alliment set to CN. So I closed down BG2 and fired up SK. Changed my Alliment to LG, then let my faimiler out once BG2 was back up. He didn't show up: But the slot was empty. So I cast Find F. again, but it said I already had one. So now implaying without a familer, or the HP bonus, unable to reclaim my lost hp...

Any ideas how to fix it? Without starting over?

12. Etrigone Gems: 2/31

You should be able to use SK to fix this. Delete the critter from your inventory, change a global variable or two that are related to it, and you should be set.

As far as the globals... I remember something like CAT_FAMILIAR or CAT, and one (maybe two) others. I'm at work now and can't check. I also haven't tested this; it's pure theory for the moment.

13. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i had a problem with my familiar sort of similiar to those listed below except that i just lost him, i summoned him in jonn's dungeon in soa, with tob installed, and then after i went to the second level, he was not in my inv and not anywhere on the map, and i tried to cast another find f after i got out of the dungeon but nothing happened :( said i already had one summoned, anyone know how to fix it?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.