1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My idea for BG3

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Dalestar, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Dalestar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello fellow gamers.

After taking another break from BG to play some World of Warcraft (first mmorpg), I have come up with some ideas for my ideal BG3.

First, I think it would be best for the game to be a mmorpg. The reasons behind my thoughts are that it would bring in more of the gaming community and who wouldn't want to see the city of Athkatla or Baldurs Gate from a first person perspective. It would also be neat to be able to stand next to some of the great NPC's from the saga.

Dramatization
    Dalestar: That's a mighty fine hamster you got their sir...may i pet it?
    Minsc: Only if you are deemed worthy by boo!
    Dalestar: [brings his hand closer to the hamster]...Ouch, it bit me! It doesn't have rabies or something does it?
    Minsc: Not that I know of...but just to be safe you better go talk to a cleric...It did come into contact with that damn Ice Weasel a while back.
    End dramatization

One of the things that bugs me about World of Warcraft is that generally the only purpose of my character is to become stronger (i.e. leveling) and richer. The thing I enjoyed about the BG saga is that I felt there was more of a purpose to my character (other than lvling and getting stronger).

What I propose to remedy this difference, is to have epic quests for each race, and epic quests for a given class for instance...etc. These quests would continue throughout a characters career, and I think would give people more of a connection with their characters and their surrondings.

One of the benefits of a MMORPG is that generally content is continually being added, which would give the gamer incentive to keep playing (i.e new quests or areas to explorer). For example, when you create a character, you will start in..say Candlekeep or Amn..dependin on race and class. As the community grows, more areas could be added; such as Icewind region or that country in the far south (forget the name).

I have no idea what sort of resources or people it would take to accomplish. Right now it is only a pipe dream...but maybe someday.

Please feel free to add your comments or suggestions as you see fit.

2. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I like this idea, although find it quite unlikely...

If I could look at this with optimism, I would imagine the game will have everything that say, Neverwinter Nights offers (with single player and multiplayer) and then have a third option to join a MM server...

but again this may cause problems and in the long run may become pointless, unless the play of BG is totally changed and is purely quest driven. These games always depend on a main PC or a set party (multiplayer), so to have individuals coming in and out of a party and or huge munch of one man armies would seem futile.

3. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

/drools

Nice.. Read this topic developers! And use it!

Again, unlikely, but a nice idea. A game like that wouldn't be called BG3 either. They'd use something based on Forgotten Realms... the whole thing, not just Akltlatha(sic) or Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.

4. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

No, it probably wouldn't work. There are just way too many people who powergame who would use cheap ways of getting ahead for the sole purpose of being the best. If it were to work it would have to be like ALFA with DMs and applications in order to have a Forgotten Realms feel. MMOCRPGs don't have that kind of process to achieve a fun role-playing atmosphere. It would be good for the game to come out with great gameplay and stuff with signle-player and multi-player, with an ALFA for role-players. That would be perfect, that way there wouldn't be power gaming (or at least very minimal) and lots of roleplaying. If it were just a MMOCRPG then dialogues wouldn't be realistic or in character. Besides, MMCRPGs can't have enough DMs even if they were to try that and there would still be power-gamers. We need another ALFA for this game to have a fun role-playing atmosphere. But then, I'm not exactly experienced in these things.

5. TKATK_ Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

MMORPG games are IMPOSSIBLE to have long quests where you can change the game world(kill that evil guy?doesnt matter,he will be back in a minute or else other people wont be able to complete the quest syndrome)

Also unless a MMORPG is streamlined(remove branching dialog and simplify ruleset)it wont be all too popular

soo imo that is quite bad idea

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.