1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My computer is dying/dead - in with the new

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taza, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

So, I'm building a new computer for myself for a change.

I have a fair bit of change to spend, but I wasn't planning on upgrading now - just looks like my mobo's going under fast.

So, what I've been considering, partswise:

Core i5 2500K
    compatible mobo (still open)
    3x4gb Trichannel DDR3
    Asus GeForce GTX 460 1GB DirectCU (already purchased)
    Sonata 3 + bundled 500w power
    2tb Barracuda LowPower (already purchased) (for bulk & backup data)
    1tb SpinPoint F3 (for games & personal data)
    64gb Kingston SSDNow V (for OS)
    Unknown reading Blu-Ray / writing DVD (still open)
    Windows 7 Home Premium (already purchased)

So the biggest advice I need are on the DVD drive and the motherboard - personal experience preferred.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Based on personal experience, I would say a motherboard is essential, and a DVD drive is pretty darned important.

You're welcome.

:p

3. Taza

Eh, I could easily enough go entirely without a DVD drive - already do on several machines. Going without a motherboard would require some clever wiring, but I have no doubt it could be done.

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Why a triple-channel RAM kit when the architecture is dual-channel?

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    8 gig is enough

Drive: LG BH10LS30 (blu ray burner)

Motherboard: Beware a recall for your socket is under-way. made sure, to get the revised b3 chip-set. The recall is about the sata 300 connection that fail after some time.

Loose the Kingston go for the new OCZ vertex 3. combined with a sata 600 motherboard is makes toast of any other ssd, almost double the speed.

6. Taza

Yeah, I did a bit of shopping and found a P45DE. I'm gonna try resurrecting the old system with a new mobo first, before actually making purchases - and the new AMD set oughta make Intel cheaper, at the very least.

I do like the Blu-Ray drive - but the OCZ is between double and triple the price of a SSDNow.

EDIT: Also, I do run VM's, so more memory is better.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found a comparison of P67 motherboards here; not sure if this is any help, since it compares specs but gives no opinions, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

9. Merlanni

Media:
    Nice list. I favour Gigabyte, but the EFI instead of Bios makes me choose otherwise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.