1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My Comeback Party; comments

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Death Rabbit, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just finished the Welkwood Bog on Saturday. What exactly was that creature? It had a big threat range and I don't know what it was able to do, but once it was in melee range it mopped up my frontliners (everyone was 3rd level by this time). It never casted any spells though, so it certainly was no Lich.

One casting of Web took care of everyone in that room for me though on my second try. Made it real easy. :)

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Didn't you read the militia captain's dreadful account? It's basically a zombie with a couple levels who for story purposes has a history and likes to think of itself as a lich. Think of it as a badass zombie with delusions of grandeur basically. ;)

It has reach due to its polearm weapon.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found it pretty easy to dispatch with my level 1 party, myself. So much so that I kept exploring the lair wondering if I'd missed something. Hmm.

Interesting diversion though! The nice little stash of gold was nice, too.

4. Gaear

Media:
    That whole area was basically intended as a substitute for ToEE's boring low level Hommlet quests, so it had to be doable by an average level 1 party - hence no serious challenges except for BTA. ;)

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Really? That's weird; maybe it's harder when a higher level party is there? I killed zombies and skeletons no problem in the Emridy Meadows. This encounter has the zombie (maybe it just got lucky or something, but it totally owned my two front-line fighters once it got close) plus four other tougher than average creatures. I don't remember exactly what they were but two of them at least are the kind (kobold sergeant and goblin captain maybe?) that will go after the mage and sneak attack. And I know there was some type of gnoll and a gnoll skeleton.

I had no problem with the kobolds outside that room. Or the goblins/kobolds outside in the bog.

6. Gaear

Media:
    There's no level scaling involved, but yeah, the 'boss fight' you describe is meant to be a bit harder.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Hm. I guess I'll just chalk it up to bad luck the first time then. If the encounter should be doable for level 1s, then level 3s should have been pretty easy (and it was with Web, but not with straight up weapons).

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So I've rebuilt my party, more or less as before:

Pally 3 / Fighter X (spokesman, weapon + shield), Human Male, LG
    Barb 2 / Fighter X (two-handers, thumpin' stuff), Half-Orc Male, CG
    Cleric X (long swords, War + Good domains), Elf Female, CG
    Druid X (long spears), Half-Orc Female, NG
    Wizard X (generalist), Elf Male, CG

For slot #6, I'm experimenting with a new character:
    Fighter 1/Rogue X, (spiked chain), Human Male, CG.

I will pump Dex and go for weapon finesse. I will forgo wasting feats on Cleave and instead focus on things like Combat Reflexes to boost attacks of opportunity (AoO's) augmented by sneak attack damage. I've read in a few corners that this is a pretty sound strategy, as for some reason the spiked chain is not only finessable, but a reach weapon. If memory serves, there are two pretty cool spiked chains that can be found in the game, which in past playthoughs I've just sold. Plus, the animation is kind of cool (though the actual attack animation is slower than most weapons, and will take some getting used to).

I'm to level 3 now with this group, and so far so good. Thoughts?

9. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Druids are a good choice. I found mine to be more useful than my cleric for the most part, so much so that I considered playing a party of all druids. An army of buffed polar bears would surely come in handy. I didn't like the paladin in this game because it is so easy to fall. Simply being around a drinking contest is a grave sin apparently. The spiked chain rogue sounds cool, I'm curious as to how effective it will be.

A solid group, all things considered.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I haven't experimented with reach weapons much so far. I gave my Rogue/Ranger a long spear to start just because it was a simple weapon, but I haven't used it much since he sticks with the longbow mostly. I think I may want to give a reach weapon to my Paladin and try it out.

Are there any issues with being too close to enemies that you can't attack with a reach weapon?

11. Gaear

Media:
    Sadly no. That's a bug/exploit with ToEE - you're not supposed to be able to attack at close range with reach weapons but you can.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Seriously? Wow; I definitely need to give my Paladin a reach weapon then. I gave him Combat Reflexes and that reach just gives him tons more "opportunity" for using it! :)

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do you need to start TOEE via front-end or just activate TOEE and Co8 mod?

To make changes in number of pc's do you need to be in the front-end?

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I believe the answer to both questions is "yes".

Gah! I should have taken Precise Shot before Rapid Shot with my Ranger/Rogue. He was very ineffective in the narrow confines of the Moathouse with that -4 penalty for firing into melee even though I splurged and bought him a Masterwork Mighty Composite Longbow for 18 Strength. When he hit it was good damage, but he sure missed a lot! :mad:

I also should have figured out how to read notes/books etc. before I put the stuff I got off of Lareth into the Extraplanar Chest. I'm sure I lost at least one thing (rod/wand or something of striking?). :mad:

15. Gaear

Media:
    Yes.

16. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I'm midway through level 4 now (just cleared the moat house) and this party is doing very well. Making my Druid a half-orc was a good decision, giving her some much needed oomph in melee with long spears. At the moment, my half-orc Barby 2 / Fighter 2 is using a glaive pretty effectively, and my Fighter 1 / Rogue 3 is surprisingly effective with the spiked chain. I've never played a game with 3 characters sporting reach weapons, but I have to say it comes in pretty handy, especially where AoO's are concerned.

My Fighter/Rogue is still a little weak in melee HP wise, but overall holds his own pretty well. I think once I'm able to get him some Dex-boosting items, he'll be much harder to hit. He has 18 Str, but I've given him Weapon Finesse and will dump all points into Dex. The +4 to damage from Str will be a nice bonus, and I definitely notice when the sneak attacks go off (currently 2d6). As I've never played with more than a single rogue level for a character, so far this is pretty fun.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    One thing I've noticed that I DO NOT LIKE :mad: I can sneak my Ranger/Rogue to get an enemy in view and then have someone else shoot at them while the Ranger/Rogue stays hidden. The damned monsters will attack my Ranger/Rogue even though he should still be hidden! I know this because he gets sneak attacks on them after they've attacked him! :mad:

Otherwise I really, really like this game, and it's a shame they released it so incomplete and buggy so that no further games were made with this engine.

And major kudos to Co8 for making this game great!

18. Gaear

Media:
    Yeah, once combat starts everybody enters the queue. I suspect your rogue might stay hidden if he/she were under the effects of magic. (Personally I don't think it's terribly unrealistic for enemies to see that there is someone crouching nearby or whatever once a fight starts and they are alerted, but I see your point.)

btw, there is a rumor going around :p that the Keep on the Borderlands module being made by Shiningted is not dead after all. If completed, that would be an entirely new game. :)

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Can you say...AWESOOOOME!!!! KotB was the very first D&D adventure I played, at age 14. A low-level adventure, but down well. Tons of fun. I think KotB it is also being inorporated into the BG2 mod - Classic Adventures - as they are adding a lot of the old modules to that mod.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Bah! The guy is hiding in a different direction than the attack (and the rest of the party), so if he wasn't seen before the attack, there's no reason they'd notice him after. They'd be looking at the attacker and the rest of the fearsome warriors standing there. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.