1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mutiny as passengers refuse to fly until asians are removed

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Aug 20, 2006.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand it seems incredibly rude and I would be mortified if I was one of the passengers forced off the plane. On the other hand I can understand the fear the other passengers had.

It makes me wonder about the future ramifications.

If the citizenry is no longer trusting their governments to protect them, do they have a right to protect themselves? I know here in the U.S. we have the second amendment, but most other nations don't have that luxry.

Will this be the impetus for the asian/middle eastern community to "reign in" their extremist/terrorist members as the rest of them are suffering, or will it force more to the extremist/terrorist point of view.

Some of the quotes that really got to me in the article were
    and
    Here in the U.S. we have a bugaboo against racial profiling. I have no idea how other nations feel about it.

For those who don't like to click. Here is the article.

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Are we getting paranoid now? :nolike:

3. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Score 1 for terrorists.

Lets just hope this is an isolated incident. Fingers crossed.

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hey, I'd rather be on the safe side in times like this. If you see something suspicious, it's probably better to check it out rather than pass it off as nothing.

The fact is that the bombers *are* middle-eastern men, so naturally, the middle-eastern man on a plane would seem more suspicious than the white guy with a suit.

5. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

And serial killers are usually male. that's why I keep away from any scruffy or long-haired men I see in the street, in case they crack me open like a Snickers bar and feast on my gooey contents.

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    the pilot should have his licence revoked and be viable to be sued by the 2 asians for racial discrimination

7. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Edit: The statement I would have responded to vanished.

8. Faye

Media:
    That may be, but you don't remove all men from the street just cause most serial killers are male. Being careful is one thing, but to resort to such measures are just too much.

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

And that's pretty much the point I'm trying to make.

10. Faye

Media:
    Oops, sorry :o

11. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

In my country when a child is born his/her religion is written as Islam in official papers and ID card. Even if you don't believe in God you will be seen as Muslim because it is written to your passport too and changing it is very difficult and bureaucracy is so slow. Also bearded men are seen as terrorists by western people.

So if i was living in USA or UK i would live similar things too. I can't find time to cut my beard, i play too much BG (i think i'm addict) and in my papers my religion is written as Islam.

12. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think some British people start to be paranoid like some people from another western country.

They will certainly win if the judge is objective.

13. Liriodelagua Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

So many years have passed, and they're still ethnocentric. Check this out:
    Like the whole process wasn't racist (ethnocentric).
    And this is funny too:
    Now it is the OTHER who has problems, the other is at fault. A psychologist could say this better.
    These people fail to realize it's their own personality (or whatever) that denies itself as a racist person. They need to learn some self criticism.
    So you say it's better to play safe. Then why don't you force them to travel naked and handcuffed. Judgements based on appearance are such a dangerous thing. They should do checks on that too.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Exactly. When law abiding citizens start to suspect each other then the terrorists have already won. This is terrible.

I will go out on a limb and say that I would rather have a plane blow up every now and again than live in a world where every on is suspicious of everyone else for stupid reasons.

"Ooh, Osama Bin Laden has a beard. Let's kill all the unshaven!"

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

One of my workmates (he is Iranian) has to shave everytime before he goes to overseas conferences otherwise it causes too many problems at the airports. That's just sad it has to come to that.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Pathetic. Now if they 'had' been found with some explosive device or whatever I imagine the situation would be justified yet since when were the public professionals on who is a terrorist or not? The whole airport staff let them through, people trained for this sort of thing, yet Margaret and her children Billy and Susy have more knowledge on such matters?

It's a crying shame and I feel sorry for the asian men involved.

Soon they'll need a color chart on the walls for suspected terrorist shades and a beard-o-meter...

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What they should have done was to forcible remove the people claiming to refuse to fly with certain passengers. If they dont want to share a plane with specific individuals they dont have to and are free to leave the plane. It is horrific that it is the guys who had nothing to do with the situation except happened to be born in the wrong place that had to suffer. The people in charge should be sacked yesterday.

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

/agree

Remove the 'problem' which happens to be the paranoid loons, not the two asians who just want to travel.

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yay, it's the fifties all over again!

20. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That was completely over the top and unjustified. Those passengers should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.