1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mustard Jellies

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Dragon9999, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Dragon9999 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] What's the easiest way to get rid of mustard jellies in BG1? Its was so easy in BG2 (just zap them with a lightning bolt!)

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Magic weapons. I don't know if +1 (or better) arrows will work or if jellies are immune to ranged weapons.

I send in a tankish type with a good AC against missiles - Boots of Avoidance, belt of piercing, cloak of displacement for a +12 vs. missiles on top of whatever armor they are wearing.

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It is 100% resistant to (melee) piercing damage, so you can forget short swords, for example.
    However, other magical (+1 and above) weapons, including Arrows, will cause non-zero damage to the Mustard Jelly. For instance, you can usually cause 2-4 points of damage with Arrows +1. Melee attacks are more effective, as far as the amount of damage is concerned.
    One useful tactic against these creatures is causing much damage to them in a very short time, so they won't have much time to do too many attacks. The success of this also depends on your equipment and levels of characters, of course.

If are you having problems in the area of the game where you meet with a mad wizard who summons the Jellies as his experiment, I am not surprised. If your characters are at low levels yet and you have little equipment yet, the battle definitely requires some preparations. Use all power of your characters, use your wizard's (if you have any) Mirror Images to prevent the Jelly's attacks from damaging him/her, while other party members are attacking it with magical weapons. The best protections (see kuemper's advice) should be given to the character who is attacking the creature in melee with your most powerful melee weapon.
    Spells that cause damage are ineffective (except Flame Arrow), the Mustard Jelly is entirely resistant to magic.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Close. Mustard Jellies have 85% resistance to missiles, so a +1 Arrow will likely only do 1 or 2 points of damage; a waste of a good magical arrow, if you ask me. And with their MR being 125%, I doubt even Flame Arrow would get past it to do any damage. No, mustard jellies are one of those creatures that need to be purely tanked. However...

CHEESE ALERT!
    Every creature has a "facing" value, so every creature has a back. Send a stealthed thief with a magical long sword, club, or quarterstaff in and put him on the opposite side of the jelly from where the rest of your party will enter the sight range of the jelly. The one to catch the jelly's attention should then go straight to the jelly to engage it in melee, right across from the stealthed thief. This way, the jelly will be "facing" directly away from the thief, who can then backstab it for a fistful of damage that will definitely help you get the fight over sooner.

Now, as the alert mentioned, this is pure cheese, as jellies should never be able to be backstabbed, owing to a natural lack of a "back" or any vital organs for the thief to target. But if you're repeatedly having trouble, you may want to just get these fights over with to continue with the fun of the rest of the game.

EDIT:
    Also, I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to zapping them with a Lightning Bolt in BG2. Disregarding MR (which varies depending on the exact CRE in BG2), all mustard jellies have 100% resistance to electricity in both BG1 & BG2. A Lightning Bolt wouldn't even faze them. But with some of the BG2 mustard jellies having as low as 10% MR, perhaps you're remembering a different spell like Flame Arrow.

[ June 25, 2006, 23:14: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I always found it was best to buff one character and have them focus on him, while everyone else strides in to administer the beating.

6. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I usually wield the longsword +2, warhammer +2 and spiders bane as these are the generally the easiest +2 weapons to come across on my main tanks and just keep hammering away while using clerics to slow poison and heal. probably one of the only enemies that can only killed by tanking.

7. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I usually send in 1or 2 fighter types with magical blunt weapons and maybe supe 'em up with a potion of freedom, strength, and heroism if I have them to spare. This seems to do the trick.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.