1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Musicians trying to act

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Madonna discussion in the Song Quote game led me to idly wonder how many musicians who try to become actors actually succeed (other than Jared Leto, I cannot think of actors becoming musicians, and I'm not sure he didn't have 30 second to mars before his acting career anyway).

Off the top of my head, I count successes as: Will Smith (clearly the all time victor), John Bon Jovi (I know he's done a bunch and remember that he was pretty good in Pay it Forward), Eminem (if we're counting movies where you play yourself).

Failures are clearly led by Madonna (epic fail in my opinion). Prince may fall here too, as I think he did more than just Purple Rain and he sucked in that in any event. I understand that David Bowie has attempted acting, but I confess to blocking it all out of my memory, so it must have been bad. Sting was awful in Dune.

I'm sure I am missing a ton.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    What does he play?

But that aside, weren't there a few soap opera guys who became music "stars?" I'm afraid to use the term "musician" to describe them.

The Beatles, of course, made movies. But I wouldn't call them actors. There are a few singers, like Cher and Barbara Streisand, but I don't thihk that's what you are looking for though.

...And there is Harpo Marx. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Mick Jagger has played in some movies, Keith Richards plays in the latest "Pirates of Carribean" and I remember that Lemmy had made appearances in several films.

As for the opposite, Hugh Laurie has just released an album, Russell Crowe has played in few bands and released few albums and perhaps the actor with the most noticeable career in music is Jack Black.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I wouldn't count Keith Richards in Pirates -- that's more of a cameo.

I totally forgot about Cher and I sub-consciously ignored Barbra Steisand.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Reversing the trend is the fact that Kevin Costner has a band. I don't know if he's any good, but I do know that I don't have much interest in finding out.

Billy Bob Thorton has a band. See above for my position on that one!

Didn't Joaquin Phoenix try to become a musician?

Speaking of Costner, didn't Tom Petty have a small role / cameo in The Postman? I don't know, I never saw the film, and see above to figure out how likely I am to see it.

Also on the Costner trend, he played opposite Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard, where she basically played herself. I think the aforementioned term "epic fail" applies here.

Didn't Mariah Carey do a film called Butterfly that hit rock bottom and tried to keep digging?

David Bowie was the Goblin King in Labyrinth. That movie creeped me out big time.

6. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Justin Timerberlake was great in The Social Network.

Britney Spears was supposed to have been poor at playing herself in Crossroads. Beyonce was grand in Goldmember and Dreamgirls. Jennifer Hudson got great reviews for the latter.

A load of rappers have had parts or bit parts but I wouldn't know them too well.

A few actors have done singles. Kate Winslet for the christmas carol cartoon and Nicole Kidman with Robbie Williams. Scarlett Johannson did an album of Tom Waits covers and then did a second with a musician. I don't know if they're any good. Jenny Lewis, formerly of Rilo Kiley and now under her own name, was a child actress though not a star so I'm not sure how much she counts.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Flea from the Chili Peppers does some minor roles. I think he is one of the German terrorists in The Big Lebowski.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think you mean Glitter, Butterfly was a song of hers. Anyway, she actually did became a good actor... at least much better than in Glitter. You can watch WiseGirls and Precious.

Here in Asia, there's a ton of singers turning to actors or vice-versa. And some even holds places in both department. Some of the more notables are Jay Chou (Taiwanese) and Rain (South Korean). I'm not that familiar with Rain but Jay Chou is definitely a genius in both department. He even wrote and directed a pretty good movie, although it was aimed at teenagers.

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Her Tom Waits tribute is terrible. It just sounds droning. Which is a shame, cause I like her singing in Lost in Translation. I guess it's just hard to cover a Tom Waits song since most just sound best in his voice.

Talking of Tom Waits and acting, I quite like his (I just like Tom Waits period :p). But I guess most of the roles he plays aren't that dissimilar from the Tom Waits character he often plays during interviews and tv appearances and stuff.

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Cliff Richards made a few movies back in the 60's and Elvis also starred in a couple of flicks. AFAIK they didn't do too badly. (Of course the point of the movies was to sell their music, not their acting skills.;))

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Beatles.

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

While Madonna was considered an epic fail in acting, we should remember that she did well in Evita.

Some teen singers who had tried to get into acting that I can think of were Britney Spears, Mandy Moore, and Jessica Simpson. Of the 3, Moore had the best performance. Christina Aguilera also just recently had Burlesque. And Justin Timberblake had a number of films also.

How about Kris Kristopherson. He's an accomplished singer and had some decent acting in his numerous movies.

Funny man Eddie Murphy once tried to cross over to singing, in fact had a couple or so big hits at that.

Jazz singer Norah Jones also tried her luck in Blueberry Nights which was directed by a premier Chinese director Wong Kar-Wai. Her acting was decent.

13. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Alanis Morissette played God in Dogma and MJ did Moonwalker, although I would consider it more like an extended music video than a movie.

14. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Kid Rock did Joe Dirt! :thumb:

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Jack Black.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.