1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music - Vent or Influence

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aikanaro, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm sure we've all heard of music being blamed for screwing up someones life, causing them to commit suicide, ect. Two or so days ago Baezlebub was talking in the chatroom about how a mother believed that her daughter had committed suicide because of Adam's Song by Blink 182. But also I've heard other people say that people will choose the music which personifies (not really the word I was looking for) them, and it is impossible for someone to be influenced by what they are listening to.
    So I ask, what way do you think it really goes?

2. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Both. One is drawn to the music which embodies either his psyche, or what he wishes it to be; and that music can only reinforce such frames of mind within the partcipant. Not necessarily the same thoughts as one wishes to vent, but thoughts contained within nonetheless.

You are not playing fair.

A:2, M:0

3. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I think that music can be tremendously influencing...for bad and for good. Aside from the lyrics, there is a very unique way that a musical backdrop can carry the message into your brain in ways that you can't imagine.

I try to be very careful about what not only my kids, by I listen to. Just as an example, I really liked the sound of "Evanesence" (although now I am rather sick of them), but almost every song has a suicidal undertone to it. I am not saying that music can make you do something that you weren't inclined to do in the first place, but a receptive mind can be pushed over the edge by musical influence. It is incredibly powerful and subtle.

Now, these people who want to sue Eminem because his music made them stab their Dad...that's nuts...but we all have a responsibility to be aware of the effect that music can have on our mood and disposition.

[Thanks, Aikanaro...if you build it, they will come :D ]

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IMO, music is much like anything else - T.V., movies, video games, etc. As Manus said, it can reinforce pre-existing frames of mind, but it won't create a mindset that wasn't there in the first place.

5. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Aye, music can be subversive though, and I think our subconcious can be open to all kinds of influence. Not one that isn't there perhaps, but maybe one we buried deep, one we deny, or try to overcome?

Hacken Slash has brought up a good point. Beside lyrics, music itself can have an astounding influence upon all things, especially the human mind.

I have read of tests, plants grown with classical music healthier than those grown to rock, or heavy metal, or other such abrasive tones, or none at all.

This is off-topic of sorts. But there was, and perhaps still is, a sect of monks in the Himalaya, who believed they could discover a sacred tone, one which would open an extra-dimensional portal. Many monastaries healed with a sounding bowl formed of seven elements.

Perhaps out of our range of experience, and most probably out of range of our threshold of credibility as well, but it is interesting, food for thought.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think that music can infulence peoples moods, but I do not think it can drive someone to do something they were not predisposed to do.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Music can be inspiring, and motivating. I remember finishing my last longer essay on Suicidal Tendencies and strong coffee & chockolate - and I was "flying" while typing.

Music also is a mood amplifyer - be in a good mood and lsten to more cheerful or funny music and you'll have a great time, be in a silly mood and listen to The Cure that'll intensify that too ...

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's possible to reach subconsciousness directly with a visual or sonic symbol. As a result, minds can be programmed to perform a certain task or to feel a particular feeling, or think in a given way. It's not the case with most of music, anyway.

The big secret is that music influences our emotions, and our emotions, big surprise, influence our actions significantly, if not decisively.

On numerous occasions, I've used certain specific kinds of music to affect my mood in a desired way. Dances, marches, chorals, whatever I feel like at the moment. Or, more deliberately, I have played specific music in background while putting something in words, for example writing a letter. Like switching on Imperial March before replying to certain e-mails. Court dances for elegant and elaborate correspondence. BG2 music for nostalgia. Crusader-style lofty mediaeval tunes for "you suck and I rule" sort of mail. And so on.

9. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Yeh i think music plays a big part in determing your mood, but strangley enough, even Evancescence can make me feel happy, but not as much as The Darkness can.

Also i agree with Chev, music can affect the way you write etc... i always seem to write happier storys when listening to upbeat music like The Darkness or Red Hot Chilli Peppers (i dont post any of them because there not all that good) and sadder storys when i listen to Evanescence or Nickleback.

But i dont belive that it could make you commit suicide unless you were planning to or strongly thinking about it, the music is just the part that pushes you over the edge (no pun intended)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.