1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music of Choice on SP

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I'll admit I DO listen to Coldplay occasionally! They have some good music to listen to, especially when you're up for just relaxing or whatever.

I just you have a lot of chilled music on your ipod then huh Harby :p

Btw what type of music is Duran Duran? They were before my time but I've heard of them on occasion.

Does anyone listen to any of these?

* Massari
    * Bobby Valentino
    * Pretty Ricky
    * Marques Houston
    * Omarion

Just an on-going question that I would like to know the answer to :D

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

There is some Rap I do enjoy, most of it produced by Dr Dre.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Duran Duran are New Romantics. Really like them here. Have a cd of theirs.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe I still don't know what music that is :p

5. Takara

Media:
    It has groups like Culture club, Bronski beat, Communards, Erasure, Spandau ballet....

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@Jack Funk:
    This site is crap. Period!

Damn, they even filed Ray Charles under R&B. He freaking invented Soul.

Btw, for anyone interested, here is my musical profile. I love this site.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Yeah there wasn't that much of anything good on that site ...

8. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    I prefer rap, although not the utter garbage MTV, or whoever, passes of as rap nowadays.

Favorite artist include:

Royce da 5'9": Always overlooked but never outshined
    Big Punisher: A lyrical genius
    Gangstarr: The best of 90's Hip-hop incarnate
    2-Pac: A true poet

I also listen alot to The Streets, Dj Shadow and UNKLE plus a little death metal like Mnemic, The Berzerker and the one man cybergrind band Gångîå

9. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Strangely enough, I haven't seen anyone mention this yet - any Industrial fans out on the boards?
    Bands (ignoring the many subgenres, which I really can't well define) being, amongst other:
    - Covenant
    - Clan of Xymox
    - Blutengel
    - The Cruxshadows
    - Front 242
    - Tactical Sekt
    - VNV Nation

And these are only the bands that I know and happen to enjoy.
    If anyone can tie subgenres to all these, mention more bands from the genre, and put out some definitions of Industrial and the various subgenres, I'd be much obliged - I always have trouble explaining it to people.
    :borg:

10. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Rock, especially if its Aussie - Grinspoon, The Living End, Silverchair, Jebediah, INXS and Wolfmother top this list. I also listen to The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Franz Ferdinand, Millencolin and Oasis. These are my main interests, the bands that have always have a decent number of songs on my mp3 player.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe I guess a lot of people listen to local music ey?

12. Takara

Media:
    lol, where I grew up was 10 minutes from where one of the pair in Tears for Fears grew up and I do love them. Such good music.

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Fabius

Wikipedia: wikipedia list of R&B performers

Soul is generally considered a subtype of R&B. Allmusic (which you disparage) actually agrees with you: allmusic top soul artists.

I like to use the R&B label, because it is more all encompassing. Not everything that Ray Charles did is soul, most of it is R&B (including the soul stuff), some of it is gospel.

Anyway, that is the problem with labels. Very few actually fit perfectly. Is Funkadelic R&B? Rock? Funk? Yes. Yes. And yes. You could just say they are funk. But their funk (like the Chili Peppers) is far different from the funk of James Browns or the Ohio Players.

14. Fly2tHeSkY

@ Jacky ... EXACTLY :D :D :D

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Metal for me. More specifically, Big Hair Metal bands like Megadeth, Metallica, Ratt, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, and Def Leppard.

I also like a bit of 'modern rock' and some ska/punk. Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Offspring, Sublime, 311, and Lit all have a place in my music collection.

At the momment, I'm quite fond of Rammstein. :thumb: :rolling:

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Sorry, Jack. That doesn't convince me either. They listed a lot soul interpreters, but completely left out the original Rhythm & Blues people like B.B. King or John Lee Hooker.

And they included the Jacksons, Stacie Orrico, Herbie Hancock and The Who. That's ridiculous. This list was obviously assembled on pure whim.

The soul list on allmusic is a joke, too. They left every modern soul interpreter out. D'Angelo, Angie Stone, India.Aerie, Erykah Badu, John Legend. Even Chaka Khan is not in it.

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] @Fabius - I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm merely providing examples of the common use of the terms. If you wish to believe that you are correct and Allmusic (THE music site on the web) and wikipedia are wrong, then that is your choice. I've been listening to music for most of my forty years and am comfortable with the definitions that they provided.

On an ironic note, the site that you linked to lists Erykah Badu, John Legend, D'Angelo and India.Aerie (artists that you refer to above) under their top 50 R&B artists as well as their top 50 Soul artists. I think this underscores my point that soul is a (generally) a sub genre of R&B. You are splitting hairs. Which is your prerogative.

I will give you one final example, Barry White. One of the great "soul" singers of his generation, his music is also commonly considered R&B as well as funk (one of the Funk Encyclopedia's essential 24 albums is "Stone Gon'").

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I still think that these days, people call R&B anything that is by an artists with dark skin. That seems to be the only qualification to be nominated for an R&B Grammy.

19. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

So, Jack, if it's an encompassing genre (I can accept that), then why are they including musicians that have absolutely nothing to do with R&B and leaving others out despite them clearly qualifying?

You see, my problem is that in my eyes Usher, Carey and all these other crappy alleged R&B interpreters have nothing to do with R&B at all. Not a single one of these so called artists play in the same league with the mentionend soul and blues artists. That's modern R&B for you. It's musically absolutely awfull and therefore does not deserve this tag.

(By the way: The genres on Last.fm are created by tagging music. The users do this by themselves.)

20. nior Gems: 24/31

I used to only listen to Tiffany and Debbie Gibsons, then Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, then Ashley and Jessica Simpson, now it's P ussy Cat Dolls.

:grin: :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.