1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music/bands you can't stand...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldazar, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

...dare I say - or HATE?

Personally I cannot listen to Aphex Twin. Their music always brings to my mind scenes of 'ultra-violence' including murder and rape. It actaulyl all started when I was reading a fantasy novel a few years ago (can't recall which) and had actually reached a scene where a major female character was being raped by the major beast-villain of the work. These days I can't even have it as background music during a conversation or video game, I simply HAVE to change the channel/station the second they come on. Anyone have similar feelings towards Aphex Twin or any other music?

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I absolutely HATE rap and gino beats. I just know too many people who turned things that I was indefferent about into absolute crap.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Just to beat everyone else to the punch, boy bands.

4. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Anything from the Pop and Hiphop/Rap genres.

5. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Whoa, where to start ... where to start....

I can't possibly name them all. But to paint with a very broad brush: pop, rock, alternative (especially), metal, country, rap, and muzak.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Um, anything brainless, most of the stuff I listened to when i was in elementary school, modern pop, most techno, thewn there's the entire genre of "amispoppi"... can some of my countrymen give me a hand in translating it to a proper English form? *sigh*

7. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hip Hop & rap give me great pain. Yo.
    R. Kelly, Eminem, DMX, 50 cents and so on. :mad:

8. Smoothbrain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Jane's Addiction is the most overrated piece of shiznit ever.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hip-hop, which doesn't technically classify as music, but it is indeed some collection of sounds, so I bet it goes :shake:

Followed by rap, techno and metal.

Bands and "artists":
    • Britney.
    • Back**** boys.
    • Just 5.
    • Other sissies

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

While I like music from all genres, I despise music which sounds like it is made without passion or any feelings. Most podern popacts belong into this group (especially those casting acts), most poprappers and the likewise awful rockacts like The Rasmus or Avril Lavigne.

I hate power or "true" metal like Manowar or Blind Guardian. The music is crappy and the singers sound like eunuchs. (And they look so ridiculous.)

And I don't like most bands who don't develop their music over time, like Iron Maiden, AC/DC or Linkin Park. They always sound the same.

11. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Westlife - they should be erased from existance for murdering Barry Manilow's 'Mandy'. Damn them!

12. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Although I can see where people are coming from with what music they like (even if I disagree), there are some things I cannot stand. They are:

Dance music - I once listened to it for 15 minutes, wondering why it was such a long song, then it turned out it was 5 different ones.

Justin Timberlake

Westlife (especially the one with the babyface)

Bob Dylan (good songs, apart from his voice, which grates against my soul)

13. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Slipknot & Korn & Kelly Osbourne

Three of the most hideous creations known to man. Not only in lack of talent do they offend me, but also in their appearence, their melodramatic attitudes to everything and everyone and their general behaviour.

BTW I do realise the irony of me placing these monstrosities in topic wiht the word music in the title.

14. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Pop bands and most rap, I can stand some Rap music, but not alot.

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Major hate - dance "music". No skill, no talent. It amazes me how many people continue to buy these CDs, but don't listen to them anymore after 2 months. Cattle. Serves them right.

Slightly less hated, but still despised nonetheless - nu-metal, alternative rock (if it's rock, how can it be alternative?), two/three/four chord bands.

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Same here.... one more comment i found exceptionally stupid, which I must pick upon is this one.

No Talent? you try picking up a guitar, sit behind a drumkit, pick up a microphone or anything else you can beg to think of (mixing desk, turntable, bass guitar, whatever) and try and play something by slipknot.... its **** hard, complex and fast music, anybody with a "lack of talent" wouldn't be able to touch it... seriously, listen to music before you whine about it.

I like slipknot and korn to some extent, but i'm not defending slipknot because i like them... i'm just defending rationality and logic to some extent. (i dont care about the entire comment, i put itallics around the bits i wanna rant about, but quote the whole thing for the good of reading).

17. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I beg to differ. Slipknot is a joke. Complex?

Here is the guitar part to pretty much every Slipknot song:

c ---0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

or

C ---0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Its not complex from a technical standpoint, it's not complex from a harmonic or melodic standpoint and it's not complex from a rhytmic standpoint. The 3 minute songs are not structured in a complex way. There is no (or very few) odd time sigs, and they don't use any unusual modalities. There is nothing 'complex' about it. Then again I play progressive metal...

18. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Slipknot is actually exceedingly talented. They have technical drum and bass and synth licks. I don't particularly care for their style of music, but I can listen to it and enjoy because it's well done. Matt from Rancid is better though :p

Bands I dislike...
    any band that sings about good stuff but can't play their instruments that well: Nickleback, Three Doors Down, Goo Goo Dolls, etc.

Bands I F-ing HATE!...
    all pop, most rap (mostly because they're not gangsters! They're showmen! They've probably never seen a jail except from the window of their limo.) most poprock (Aerosmith namely with the exception of Steve Miller Band. They're pretty good.) all popular punk (simple plan, avril, etc.)

[ December 17, 2003, 23:35: Message edited by: Mystra's Chosen ]

19. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Slipknot? If you want drums, try Dimmu Borgir. If you want guitars, try Children of Bodom. If you want bass, Dream Theater. Vocals? Opeth. Slipknot might be slightly better in the world of nu-metal, but the true heavyweights of real metal would impale them.

Masks and costumes and excessive band members need to be backed up by proficiency. Like InquisitorX said, continuous palm muting on an open string down-tuned guitar in every song is about as untechnical as it gets.

20. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Does anyone hate 'Muse'?

I love them by the way :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.