1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiple Familiars?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Wordplay, May 20, 2004.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] "Find Familiar" spell belongs to category 'used once and forgotten', but I'd like to see a small-time tweak to it. You guessed it: is there any mod that would alter that spell a bit to allow any spellcaster to summon a familiar? Why should only the protagonist have one, when there is, for example; Pooky? ;)

If there isn't, anyone willing to make one? (Hello, SimDingO and co.)

2. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I always felt that Edwin needs an imp.
    If there was such a mod I would definitely make use of it.

3. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Edwin doesn't need an imp, when he has himself to talk to :D

But I'd probably d/l a mod that allows NPCs to have familiars too.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

I'm mainly thinking this because my party consists of 4 sorcerers/wizards. If only PC had a familiar, wouldn't it be a wee bit lonely? ;) So, it would be fun if Imoen, Aerie, and Viconia (SK :D ) could bring their own familiars in -to make a 'familiar playground', so to speak. :grin:

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Nobody has done it yet because as of the present, nobody has been able to figure out how to do it.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

How is that? Isn't it like with the tweak to Cloak of Mirroring -"simple" hex-editing? I would do it myself if I just had bothered to learn the hexes. :D

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31

If that's all it was, believe me that it would have been done already.

Only the PC using the Find Familiar scroll is hardcoded, and so far any attempt to make a new spell to allow NPCs having familiars has resulted in the familar being unable to progress through area transitions.

There was a thread about this over at the old Forgotten Wars forum, but that forum no longer exists.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Why not remove the hardcode then? It's prob. just one line at the start of the program, style:

#NONPCCANHAVEFAMILIARS :p

Of course, I do not know how Infinity Engine works.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I played a Sorcerer to the end of SoA, and his familiar was no where near as powerful as Pooky.

What's up with that?

10. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Most EULAs don't allow you to reverse engineer games to that degree.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

EULA and EULA -I'm pretty certain that Bioware won't be giving a damn about such a small modification, especially when it helps the users to make the most of the software. Besides, they already have our money.

[ May 23, 2004, 20:26: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31

It's still illegal.

Removing it is probably a lot harder than what you describe.

13. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hmm... getting a bit OT, but is there a mod in existance, or in progress, for upgrading your familiar? I find it irritating that I can level up, but my fairy dragon only gets one when I get to the THrone of Bhaal... :(

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Actually, it's finished already. Just check the TeamBG forums or Icelus' list. But it's just that: upgrade, replacing the old files and thus avoiding the problem displayed here.

*Goes off to find a bit less law-abiding goody-two-shoes*

15. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

you can upgrade your familiars yourself. I might give my thief a panther, not overpowered but a change from the silly animals you normally get in the game. This is done with SK. I don't know how to change the icon in the inventory and it seems a bit unrealistic thay you can carry a great cat.

I might have a Mind Flayer actually.

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31

You can do that by using the potion/familiar exploit, no ShadowKeeper needed.

It would still be an enormous amount of work for a relatively small benefit.

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

:( Aw, does this mean that Immy and Aerie can't get their familiars? :(

;p

But now that we are at to it, is there any sorcerer/cleric, or sorcerer/thief -kit available? IIRC, that is another thing no one has done yet. :hmm:

18. WiZinc Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Maybe a bit out of topic.
    Is there a way to multi/dual-class sorcerer?

19. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

In a word, no.

Get IWD2

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Have it, and still waiting for Icewind Gate 2, but then there will not be familiars at all.

**Edit**

Not sure, but HERE seems to be some info about creating familiars, and probably a solution to those displayed problems...

[ May 25, 2004, 23:01: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.