1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiclass Fighter + Wizard

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by saukoon, Jun 12, 2003.

1. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm used to the old BG2 type of Kensai + Wizard dual class, which I can 5 lvl in Kensai (fighter) then only dual to mage

But in NVM, its a bit difference. What's the best way to multiclass fighter + wizard?

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

In NWN are many combinations to dualclass a mage to a fighter, or the other way. For example a lvl. 8 mage and lvl. 12 fighter, so you will get stoneskin from your mage class wich is really good.
    But be carefull, you will get an Ep-malus from 20% if you choose a class wich is lower than your old class. So I would choose a race wich doesn't got an Ep-malus, because their favourite class is mage or fighter, or you could also start as a human or halfelf, those races see their highest class as their favourite class.

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

"Ep-malus" :confused:

Is that the opposite of an XP bonus? ;)

What Sephiroth is saying is correct. You must pay attention to the race of a multiclass character. Fortunately, Wizard/Fighter makes this really easy. You can choose to be Human, Half-elf, Elf, Dwarf, or Gnome and not have to worry about experience penalties. Otherwise, you need to keep your class levels within 1 level of each other at all times or you will have a 20% penalty applied to all experience that your character receives.

4. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Your right BigStick, Ep-malus is the opposite of Xp bonus :D
    Anyway, Does anyone know wich class an elf prefer ?

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Elves prefer Wizard.

6. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Thanks, althoughs that's bad, because I wanted to multiclass my elven cleric to a fighter.

7. BigStick Gems: 13/31

The full list under NWN/DnD 3.0 rules:

Human - Highest
    Half-elf - Highest
    Elf - Wizard
    Gnome* - Wizard
    Dwarf - Fighter
    Halfling - Rogue
    Half-Orc - Barbarian

An elven fighter/cleric is OK as long as you keep the class levels within 1, so 2/2, 2/3, 3/2 are all OK, but 4/1 and 4/2 will incur the 20% penalty.

* - Changes to Bard under 3.5 rules.

8. saukoon Gems: 5/31

I'm currently in 1/2 way of chapter 2. Now my character is a lvl 5 fighter / lvl 9 wizard.

Any idea whether I shall further develop the fighter's level?

Also in NWN, how to gain more attack per round (like BG series)?

9. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Well, I can list how many attacks per round a charakter will get :

Barbarian/Fighter/Paladin/Ranger

lvl.1 : 1 Attack
    lvl.6 : 2 "
    lvl.11: 3 "
    lvl.16: 4 "

Bard/Druid/Cleric/Thief/Monk

lvl.8 : 2 "
    lvl.15: 3 "

Sorcerer/Mage

lvl.12: 2 Attacks

[ June 19, 2003, 14:19: Message edited by: Sephiroth ]

10. BigStick Gems: 13/31

Your character's number of attacks is calculated by subtracting 5 from his BAB. As long as the result is > 0, you have an attack. For example, a character with a BAB of +5 gets one attack per round while one with a BAB of +11 gets 3 (+11, +6, +1).

The BAB for a multiclass character is the total of the BAB's for each of his classes.

The monk gets extra attacks sooner when fighting unarmed or with a kama. Instead of subtracting 5, you subtract 3 from the BAB to find the number of attacks and the BAB of each attack.

Your ftr5/wiz9 should have a BAB of +9 which should give you 2 attacks/round at +9 and +4. Any bonuses to hit from STR, DEX, magic, etc. do not count in the calculation to determine the number of attacks per round.

Hope this helps. :)

11. saukoon Gems: 5/31

According to Sephiroth, fighters get 2 attact at lvl 6.

But after i tried to level up my lvl 5 Fighter/ lvl 9 Wizard to lvl 6 fighter, the attack is still 18/13 without an additional attack.

Any idea?

12. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

@saukoon: I only wrote the attacks for pure characters. If you have dualclassed characters the schedule won't work!
    But you can see how much attacks your character will get, if you use BigStick's calculation ( at least I hope so :D )

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If Bigstick's original calculation is correct (FTR5/WIZ9 BAB is +9 for attacks +9/+4), then your FTR6/WIZ9 will have a BAB of +10 giving you base attacks of +10/+5 which is 1 BAB point short of a third attack.

14. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

remember there are many able spells to buff up your fighting capability. Tenser's Transformation would be an ideal spell to use if betting on a fighter/wizard already.

fighter/wizards should also go high dex and light armor (for as little arcane spell failure as possible).

15. saukoon Gems: 5/31

Ya. Tenser has been my fav. spell since BG2. Its cool to turns our character into a killing machine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Based on the GameFaqs 3rd Edition D&D Rule

I've found the way to calculate BAB for a multiclass character.

Take my lvl 5 fighter/lvl 9 wizard as example
    lvl 5 figher has +5 BAB
    lvl 9 wizard has +4 BAB
    taking the sum of both raises +9.

A new attack exists when BAB > 6. In this case, the total Attack Line is
    +9/+4

The author mentioned that
    a lvl 16 Cleric has BAB +12/+7/+2
    a lvl 4 Fighter has BAB +4
    The sum is +16, which gives Total Attack Line of
    +16/+11/+6/+1 and
    the forth attack!

Hope this helps

[ June 26, 2003, 06:46: Message edited by: saukoon ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.