1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

multi-classing my Aasimar paladin

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Son_of_Kiden, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Son_of_Kiden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've got a 12th level Aasimar Paladin and it just seems like he's not as strong as my other characters. He doesn't have any REAL strong points. His divine spell casting is poor. And he only gets the OK spells at lvl 29 or something.

I'm thinking of multi-classing him. The problem is. I don't know what to multiclass him to. Because i only expect to gain about 4 more levels before i complete the game. So what class should i multiclass my paladin to?

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

i think that you wouldn`t have used a paladin at all... well now you should multi him with a barbarian... then he will be faster, too...

3. vf6alpha Gems: 1/31

You chose a fairly difficult character to play. Paladins in general are very stat dependent. Add the aasimar part and they start out real slow. Basically, it depends on how you've allocated your stat points and if you care for the favored class. If you're high on charisma and you don't care to play the "favored" way, you can always class to a sorcerer and play to get spells for HoF mode. If you chose to go the fighting way, then class to a fighter and go for weapon specialization. A barb would work too but 4 levels in barb really doesn't give you much in terms of barbarian skills. You get rage (which makes you tired,) faster movement, and dodge. Not bad, but not going to turn the tide of any fight for you.

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

don't put your hope in the paladin's divine spell, it wouldn't get you to anywhere. look for multiclass paladin instead. A level 7 paladin will have all the essential benefits of a paladin (immune to fear, disease and fiendslayer feat). At least for me, there is not need to continue beyond level 7. turn your interest to fighter, barbarian or rogue instead.

5. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I would go with Fighter to get the feats. The Barbarian is a no-go since Paladins have to be Lawful Good and Barbarians can't be Lawful anything.

MrGrouch

6. Trypt Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It depends on what you want your paladin to do, if you want him for of an undead slayer and caster, then you should have perhaps considered a cleric or a fighter/cleric, but from my experience paladins are extremely powerful characters, they fight almost as well as fighters, and they have abilities that otherwise cost points, as well as some innate abilities. I never play a paladin due to his alignment, but I have tried and they get really powerful. I would give him 4 levels of fighter and the rest paladin, focus on shield and a weapon, and big armor, he will be hard to hit and will hit everything, unless you screwed up on the stats. You never give a paladin more then 10 dex (not less either) since he is going to wear big armour, you give him lots of strength and con, and charisma and wisdom are optional, give him enough wisdom for the spell level you wanna cast, and I wouldn't even worry about charisma, just give him the skill points (not under 10 in any stat however for paladin, except intel, but thats bad in any case)

7. Kenny42 Gems: 1/31

Take a look at Dave Milwards walkthrough here at SP. He has a detailed description of his own paladin build that I found very useful.
    And Trypt - if you think your paladins are powerful now just wait until you max out charisma. :) The paladins most important ability by far .

8. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Hmm; in your case I'd go for the last few levels in fighter, although at this stage I don't think it'd make much difference whether you did that or went all out paladin.

For future consideration, my current paladin build seems to be shaping up nicely. Everyone's about level 12 or 13 at the minute and Anna has (IIRC) 5 levels of Painbearer of Ilmater and 7 levels of Paladin of Ilmater. Obviously she has less hitpoints than tank boy Percival or Jasper the ugly and dumb but hard Stormlord of Talos, but she fights well and can buff, abjure and heal to a reasonable degree. Where she really comes into her own, however, is when she is faced with undead. She can turn about 8 times a day and nearly always succeeds due to her stellar charisma, and can throw a sunscorch into the mix or jab away from behind the true tanks (who she has buffed with spells such as aid, magic circle against evil, negative plane protection, bless and Ilmater's endurance) with the Hammer of Lucernce; a rather tasty halberd with disruption ability. Obviously, if she gets caught on her own she can't brawl like Percival (Human fighter 4/barb x) but she can hold her own until he can give her a hand.

Remember that its not the power of individual characters that matter, but how well those characters complement eachother and work together as a group.

9. vf6alpha Gems: 1/31

I wouldn't count on turn undead too much. Its absolutely pathetic in HoF mode. My level 27 cleric and wizard/paladin of mystra can't turn anything worth a damn. Not that it really matters.. strategy is what wins you battles in HoF mode, not stats. Which is why Paladins are so hard to play, just when you have good enough stats to run with one, none of those stats matter. In HoF, because monsters always hit you regardless of ac, and you don't have the damage potential of a fighter or barb, or their resistances, a paladin is at a severe disadvantage.

10. Son_of_Kiden Gems: 1/31

Alrite, thanks a lot you guys. Your clashing ideas and methods of Paladin builds were great.

I think i'll just multi-class him to fighter from here...

But in HOF would it be better if he ended up as a level 30 Paladin. Or if he were a 13 Paladin/17 Fighter?

11. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Will hit the nail on the head when he says that it's not the power of the individual that matters but how well the members of the party work together that gives the group its strength.

When playing a group (as opposed to going solo), you will have to see how the other group members shape up, what roles they play to decide how best to develop a particular character. Of course, the player's individual playing style and preference needs to be taken into account.

Son_of_Kiden, I would suggest that you look at the other party members before deciding. Also go with what feels comfortable to your playing style and make it work.

I just finished the game in normal mode and had a blast. I tend towards spellcasters so my party consists of a Paladin, Cleric, Druid, Ranger(3)/Rogue(13), Wizard and Sorcerer. I forced the Paladin, Cleric and Druid (with one feat on heavy armour) to melee. Because I had no fighter, I had originally intended to multiclass my Paladin (of Helm) to fighter (4). But I was so impressed with the lay-on hands ability (really handy in emergency situations) that I decided to go Paladin all the way. I thought, I am only giving up a few feats and weapon specialization in large swords (+2 damage) for not taking on fighter levels anyway - I'll live with it.

I felt the group was quite successful with each complementing the other, even though short on brute strength. I didn't need to reload fighting the Guardian Dragon and the 6 lost followers. The only torrid time I had was fighting the blasphemous Madae at the end. My good people were stunned so often I am thinking the next group I play will include a drow and a monk, not necessarily in the same party member.

And the star of my group? My little halfling rogue/ranger who towards the end, melee better than my cleric and druid. :)

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What about the so called 'order'? Helmite may be safely dualled to fighter, Ilmaterian to cleric and Mystra's follower to wizard. Otherwise you're not going to get any more paladin levels...

13. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, I know that paladins are weaker warriors than Fighters and Barbarians... So it will be not bad idea multiclassing your paladin into fighter or Barbarian, considering IF he is Paladin of Helm kit of course...

14. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well now it could be cool if Barbarians could be Lawful Good.
    I suggest 4 levels of fighter although 2 levels of paladin and x levels of fighter seems really good your paladin is level 12.
    Get 4 levels of fighter for weapon specialization and extra feats

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.