1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Moving Out... what should I know?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mystra's Chosen, May 6, 2004.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

What are some things I should be informed of before I strike out on my own? (BTW, I know life is hard :p )

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you live with friends, make sure you're all busy and don't see each other often. The things that annoy you about someone are amplified 30 fold when you live with them, and eventually it will effect your friendship.

Live cheaply. Rent money is a biatch, and sneaks up on you. Avoid all expenses you don't absolutely need.

Rooming with a friend who's old enough to buy beer is always highly recommended (if you're still underage, which IIRC you are).

Always wear sunscreen (and whatever else that stupid song says).

If one of your roommates wants to get a Pug, or any other obnoxious little demon-cock of a dog, say NO. (personal experience, here)

It may indeed be worth a hundred or so extra bucks a month in rent to live in a nicer area. If you don't think it matters, just wait till your bike/car/sofa/food/pet/wooden leg/stereo gets stolen (all of which have happened either to myself or friends). Wait a minute...oops, that was a lie. I don't have any friends who've had their stereo stolen.

More later, I'm sure.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your finances are probably the most important thing you need to worry about.

Have you lived on you own before, like away at college or something, where you got a taste for what everything costs, but weren't responsible for coming up with the money?

If so, you're ahead of the game, and just need to see how that compares with how much money you're going to be making. You'd know how much everything costs (food, rent, utilities, entertainment, etc.), what utilities you have to get hooked up and how etc.

If not, I'd suggest you look at your parents' expenses to get an idea, though it's likely your expenses would be very different.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never, ever, miss paying your rent on the due date (I assume you will be renting.) Paying rent on time is a good way of establishing a good credit rating. Conversely, getting evicted for non-payment of rent will cause you nothing but grief in the future. (I work for a property manager, and trust me - rental defaults are very bad for your credit rating.)

Learn how to prepare basic meals - a constant diet of take-out is both unhealthy and expensive. And if you only know how to make W&B Casserole (wienies and beans), well, I won't comment on the potential effect on your social life. :p

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

well, I've always been frugal with cash, I know who to cook really well (lasagna anyone? How about some eggs benedict?) and I enjoy it, I've never been to college (I'm wayyy too young. Not even done high school) I have absolutely no credit, but my cousin owns two apartment buildings and I can ask him to be my reference (even though I've never rented from him, he can fudge for me). I'll be moving to a smaller town, so living expenses will be quite cheap. I'm not above doing any kind of work, and I'll work long hours, so I'll get some nice cake for that. I'm planning on raising anywhere from 7 to 10 thousand dollars, just to make sure I have enough. I plan to move out in less than six months. Right now I have no expenses, so I'll be able to save up. I plan on buying a car. I have some furniture, but will leave all but the neccessities at my parents place. (basically my bed and my computer.)

And I am planning to live with three friends in a really nice 3 bedroom duplex (1000 dollars/month - I told you it was cheap) and I have my sister living in the same town, so she can buy my booze, although I'm not sure I'll need her since I've been buying smokes and beer since I was 15 (I look way older than I am). Hell, I started going to bars a couple months ago and haven't been carded yet.

Basically, DR, that was the funniest damn post. A wooden leg. really. that's awesome, in a puzzling kind of way.

Anyway, I'm dropping out of school and moving out. Don't think it's because I'm giving up, because I get 70's and 80's most of the time. I do long distance learning, so I can continue to do my school while I'm gone. BTW, I'm in grade 11.

This post is really turning out to be more long winded than I thought.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Make sure you know enough about how a kitchen works that you can prepare yourself cheap, healthy, and edible food. And keep your kitchen clean enough so that you can actually prepare food there.

You are what you eat. And takeaways can become expensive when you're on a tight budget.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Buy a cook book, pay your rent, and see what is left. Then divide it with days until the next salary. If it isn't enough, and you have good papers coming, make a call to home :p

(Sucks real bad, but it is a better option than taking loan.)

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm going to go off-topic here to address what is IMO the more important issue. To the mods: if this should have been a separate topic, I apologise, but it's directed specifically at Mystra's comment about dropping out of school.

Mystra, it sounds like you have your mind made up about this, and I realize that nothing I am going to say will likely make much of a difference, but I'll take a shot anyway.

I would ask to to reconsider your decision to drop out. I know of too many people who have done just that and are stuck in low-paying, dead-end jobs. Sure, there are exceptions, and sure, some of them are actually happy doing what they're doing, but most of them are struggling and unhappy, and without a high school diploma, there is virtually no chance of them digging themselves out of the hole. Granted, a high school diploma isn't what it used to be (post-secondary education is becoming more important), but it's a lot better than nothing.

Since you are already in grade 11 and getting good grades, why not stick it out, finish school, and not cut yourself off from future opportunities; you might not see them as important now, but in a few years, who knows?

OK, sermon is over. It's your decision, of course, but I felt I had to say something.

9. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It sounds as if you're quite well set up and have things well thought out.

My first piece of advice is to keep up your education. Once you stop, it's very hard to get started again. Working long hours does not guarantee good pay and isn't nearly as much fun as working regular hours for good pay and having time/energy left over for other things. As with most things, it comes down to pay now or pay later. Spend the time now rather than for the rest of your life.

Second, expenses are going to come flying out of the woodwork, so watch out for them. You said you're going to buy a car. Then you'll have to pay for gas, insurance, maintenance, license(?), parking, etc. for the honor. Don't forget taxes, which as I understand it, come to quite a sum up there. You'll want to keep a fund for emergencies so that you won't have to go into debt if an unexpected expense hits you or you leave/lose your job. Start a list of all the things that you can think of that you're going to have to pay for and total it up. Keep adding to the list as you think of more things; cable TV, phone, internet, clothes, food, rent, car payment, insurance (auto/renter's/medical), savings. The list grows far too quickly. :(

@Splunge - He said that he intends to continue through long distance learning...

{Edit] Gender mixup corrected. [/Edit]

[ May 06, 2004, 16:15: Message edited by: BigStick ]

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you think it burns, don't try it. :D

11. Splunge

Media:
    @ Big Stick - yep, I guess I wasn't too clear in my post, since I wasn't too clear on what Mystra actually intended - long-distance learning, depending on what that involves, might not actually be "dropping out". (P.S. - I think "she" is a "he". ;) )

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I got kicked out of school in grade 9, so have been doing ADLC (Alberta Distance Learning Center) for the past few years.

The reason I'm moving out is not because I just want to get out. My parents got divorced 3 years ago and everything went downhill from there. My dad is almost 70 years old now, so I feel I'm keeping him grounded. He's got so many plans to go overseas, but I know he can't do anything with them until I'm gone.

So, after many weeks of thought, I decided to move out. I realize dropping out of school is not the most intelligent thing to, but if I only have my grade 12 to do, I could do that in a very short time. I'd be able to save enough money, do a course, then work again to save more money if I really needed to. I can do one course in about a month, or less.

Besides, can't you just buy a diploma off the internet?? :p

PS: I should just change my name. Mystra's Chosen is too uncertain. I should change it to Cocken Balls (a la Hacken)

13. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Your cup at home, your bowl, chopstick (or fork and knive), spoon, remember to bring them. Crappy food in familiar tableware is more endurable.

And yes, no matter what, no doomsday can stop one from getting more education. (you don't know how hard to tried to get back to college at the age of 25).

[ May 06, 2004, 22:28: Message edited by: teekc ]

14. Splunge

Media:
    @ Mystra - well, that's better. But if you don't mind, I think I'll take credit for convincing you not to throw your life away. :p :shake:

Oh, and
    LMAO! But you might have to pay a small royalty to Hacken Slash, not to mention convincing the mods to allow it. ;)

15. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Cocken Balls :p :

Best advice I can give you: be smart. Don't make any bonehead decisions just because you want to follow your friends or something like that, especially when there's spending involved. Always think long and hard when there's any significant amount of money involved and don't be afraid to ask for advice (looks like you started at the right place :cool: ).

Also, remember that you're still quite young and that you WILL hit roadblocks along the way. It's inevitable and part of life. When that happens, you have to be reasonable and open to compromise, especially if there's four of you in that condo. You should always be ready to take responsibility for your actions. Most of the time, it's harder to do that it sounds.

Now the car thing... be assured that owning a car is the absolute most expensive way to get around, no matter how you look at it. It's ok at first when gas for a month costs less than a bus pass... until you get hit with your first $650 repair bill. Then you will CURSE that frickin' bucket o'bolts. Unless you're absolutely, positively, completely convinced you can't live without one, don't buy one. Take the bus, ride a bike, get rollerblades, walk around, it's all good.

(Oh and one more thing: I was much slimmer before I got my first car. Just saying.)

As others said, be careful about what you eat. Nevermind what your roommates do. If they want to eat lard with a spoon, let them and go back to your sad little bowl of brown rice. When I set out on my own, I ate nothing but crap for the first 8 months just because I lacked the willpower to do otherwise. Don't be a lazy bastard like I used to be, that's all I can tell you.

Finally, to continue on the education tangent, just remember this: you can make *good* money with only a grade 12. The problem is that one day you'll be 45 and stuck doing the same thing you were doing at 17. And THAT will suck big-time.

Or not. Jesus I sound like my dad! Sorry 'bout the long rant... :o

Good luck buddy and have fun!

16. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Money, make sure you have a lot of it and that you have a decent income. I would advise you to find your own place with 2 bedrooms. Get a flat mate in with you. I have lived on my own and with people before and it is not easy. I seriously wouldn’t recommend living with other guys, get a female flat mate, they are far less dirty.

If I were you I would stay where you are at your age, it is loads cheaper to live with your mom or dad.

17. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Thanks for all the advice dudes. This won't be happening for another few months, so I'm going to put alot of thought into it and make sure I've got everything set so I don't get overwhelmed.

About the car thing... I have a motorcycle too, so I can ride that in the summer. It'll make my car last longer :)

And Sarevok... easier said than done man. Besides, I'm probably the dirtiest of the buds I'm gonna live with. Bachelor Pad, awwww yeah!

18. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if one of your roommates has a girlfriend...don't let her move in as well.

19. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

@ Mystra

We haven't talked much of late, but maybe we shoulda. I've been busy playing "Tal" at another site...at first it was a kick to smack around the idiots, but lately it's just hard work!

Let's try to define one goal to place before you. Work for that, with others in mind behind it, but with the main goal in focus...

Your first goal is to complete whatever is necessary to have the equivalent of a High School diploma...if you don't go to school to get it, fine...in America it's called a GED when you have the credentials without going to HS, and it means as much to the working world.

I know that Splunge, Bigstick and others have said as much to you, but at your age (?), it's easy to equate an hourly wage with big bucks if you work full time...it isn't. Work now on what will give you the ability to earn a wage that will allow you the freedom to make choices how you live.

Oh, and honor your parents...even in their separated state...if you do that, it will bless all your other endeavors.

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

The thing I can't stress enough is that I'm not quitting school forever. I know 90% of kids who drop out never end up going back, but I'm going to be in that other 10%.

In the next six months I'm going to be studying 30 hours a week and working 40 hours a week. If that doesn't prove to me that I can do whatever I want, then nothing will.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.