1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Motorola i1 iDEN Android smartphone REVIEW

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Disciple of The Watch, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The i1 is an Android smartphone for iDEN networks. Here in Canuckland, TelusMike's lineup ONLY have the BlackBerry 8350i and the i1, so if one wants a smartphone powered by iDEN, well, there's not much choice. The 8350i is vintage, classic, tired BlackBerry. Don't get me wrong, BlackBerryOS does the job and does it well... but it just pales compared to Android, and even Windows Phone 7, as much as it pains me to admit it.

The i1 runs Android 1.5. Yes, it's an old version, BUT this was the most recent version available when work began to integrate DC functionality in Android. It will be updated to 1.6, which, some people say, is an outrage. I, for one, do not care about that. Some apps don't work, and that's pretty much it. I am also debating rooting the i1 and installing a custom Android ROM.

Signal: The i1 easily latched on the MiKE network, and like a rabid pitbull, refuses to let go. ZERO dropped calls because of low signal, and while I had some calls cut, the problem isn't on my end. It is better than the 8350i, and it also outdoes all my iDEN dumbphones. Enough said.

Sound quality: The i1 has dual-mic noise cancellation, and sounds TERRIFIC! The two speakers on the bottom of the phone are INCREDIBLE, listening to music on them is a real pleasure, and so is calls/DC calls. Callers told me I sounded very clear, and calls on my end also sounded great. Volume is pretty good, though as usual... I would've cranked it up a bit more.

Screen: 320*480, 262,144 colors (18-bit) TFT LCD. It is also a capacitative touch screen which is a MILLION MILES AWAY from those old, stiff resistive touch screens. The phone responds quickly and smoothly to my touch. The screen looks gorgeous... an HTC EVO this is NOT, but the i1 is a VERY SOLID upgrade to the geriatric 8350i.

Cam is 5MP, which makes the i1 the BEST cameraphone in my collection. Pics are on-par with my bro's standalone 5MP digital cam. Flash is great to catch pics in dark environments... Video capture is pretty good, too.

The stock Android music player is EXTREMELY BASIC, lacking an equalizer. Also... Motorola, WHY A 2.5MM JACK? WHY??? Now I don't have the convenience of using my own headphones, and worst, the adaptor from my former Keybo2 (yes, I actually sold this POS) is INCOMPATIBLE... sound only on one side. Still... Moto had the decency to include a pair of 2.5mm headphones, and they're good quality, actually. The i1 also had NO problems with my 8gb microSDHC. 32GB cards are supported, but they're not yet available in my backwater primitive province.

DATA is surprisingly pleasant with Opera Mini. It is adequate for basic web browsing. The i1 also has WiFi, and it had no problem with my bro's WiFi network. The 8350i also has WiFi, but I never got it to work.

Bottom line... some might question the purpose of an iDEN Android smartphone. Well, first of all, it has DC... NO LD fees ANYWHERE IN NORTH AMERICA for DC calls, and in terms of sheer speed, DC is STILL UNMATCHED. Secondly... iDEN has THE BEST SOUND QUALITY, PERIOD. It's a bold statement to make, but I will make it -- iDEN'S SOUND QUALITY OUTDOES HSPA, GSM, CDMA, IT OUTDOES EVERY SINGLE NETWORK TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE! Thirdly... SMS on the TelusMike network is FLAWLESS.

Fourthly... some of us CHOOSE to use iDEN because of it's advantages. For the voice/SMS/DC centric crowds, the i1 is truly the fusion of a beautiful Android phone using a powerhouse of a network who, despite it's age, still does the job damned well. I CHOSE to return to the iDEN network, because it is THE BEST for my needs.

Anyone using Nextel/Boost/TelusMike and looking for a smartphone should check out the i1. Motorola build quality, at least in the iDEN department, has always been FLAWLESS, and the i1 is a solid piece of hardware and it feels that way.

I was always harsh on Motorola for the laughable build quality of some cheap GSM/CDMA models -- anyone remember the C333? -- but in the iDEN department, Motorola is UNTOUCHABLE.

The iDEN gets a GOLDEN SEAL OF GREATNESS. I am not one for parting with my phones, but the BlackBerry 8350i feels so primitive I just might sell it.

*****. 10/10.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.