1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most useless NPC?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by idoru, Oct 31, 2001.

1. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I tried searching and this hasn't been done, at least not too many times.. :)

Personally, I think Shar-Teel wins this one. A fighter with poor constitution.. what's the use? Especially considering how many great fighters you find in bg1. I'm currently playing an evil party, and as such, there was no other option than shar-teel. After playing 15 days with her, and dying probably about as many times, I even tried dual classing her to thief, and granted, she was less horrible as that, but still not close to Safana or Imoen. It seems to me they just needed to throw in another evil character, and sketched her in. Her cliché man hating extremist feminist attitude doesn't exactly help, it just seems like poking fun at the entire feminist movement to me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there were too many guys involved in making the BG games :nono:

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] What about Kaigan? Wasn't he an evil fighter choice?

Well I haven't played all them so it isn't right for me to call anyone useless. I could see Xzar standing in Edwin's shadow though...

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm thinking the name Garrick comes to mind. I just left him for dead in the Nashkel mines. There's also that bard, I think you meat him in cloakwood, who tries to convince you to "kindap" his lady friend and "hold her for ranso" *wink, wink*. They both seemed pretty worthless to me. I would be as bold as to say Jahiera or Branwen, but I know I'd get flames for that one. So I'll leave it as is and play it safe.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Most useless, IMHO, would be Faldorn. She's a pure druid in a game where most of the useful druid spells and abilities aren't implemented. I really can't see a useful role for her in a party. As far as I can tell, in BG druids are just really bad clerics.

The relatively poor skill distribution on the late arriving thieves (Skie and Alora) makes them perilously close to useless, but not quite.

All the other characters are actually useful. Obviously, some aren't as good as others that fill the same role, but I don't think that's really the same thing as being useless.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Yeslick is pretty poor, Safana is also poor for she is the only thief with dexterity of less then 18.. Shar-Teel we already had... then one is left.. Quayle... Cleric/Illusionist with Wisdom of 10...... I think I already said enough.

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Heh, that's pretty funny. The party I completed the game with had both Yeslick and Quayle in it from the time I met them until the end. Safana was in the party for a long time, too. She served as the thief while Imoen was learning magery. The final party had Yeslick, Kivan, Coran, Imoen (T/M), Quayle, and my bard, with special guest appearances by Jaheira, Khalid, Branwen, and Safana.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

7. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Montaron! I mean, who likes him anyway!?

8. jesper898 Guest

[​IMG] Garrick :wave:

9. MD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Yes Jesper898 you are right! Garrick is the most useless NPC! And you love to have right i know :grin:! I know you love to had right in the school ;)

[This message has been edited by MD (edited October 31, 2001).]

10. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

as far as the most useless I will agree on Garrick. also i dont take anyone you cant get untill cloakwood in most cases as by that point I have normaly out leveled them and everyone is doing better.

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Strange, I used Garrick almost every time I played through BG1. I like his lore capability, and mages are so terrible early in the game that I used him for wands, scrolls and some decent missle backup.

Odd.

For most useless I'll agree on Faldorn, pathetic all around except for the 'summon dire wolf' ability. The last time I played BG I traded her off for Yeslick in the Cloakwood Mine, and left her there when I flooded it.

12. sorvo Guest

I think Garrick is a great character at the beginning of the game,with his lore and pickpockting and he's not a bad shot with the crossbow:) Although he does loose his appeal after picking up other npc's later on.I agree on Faldorn also!

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited October 31, 2001).]

13. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

I agree that Faldorn is the most useless, but I disagree about Yeslick...I replaced Jahiera with him nearly every game.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Garrick isn't bad in the beginning but he is sooooooooo annoying....

Life....... is Glorious :rolleyes:

15. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Most useless NPC? Definately not Shar-teel. A bad constitution doesn't automatically make the fighter bad.
    No, I'd probably say Faldorn, though even she has her uses...

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited November 01, 2001).]

16. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It is obvious that the worst npc is obviously Xzar. what a moron!

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Of the ones I've played/seen in action: Garrick is the most useless (my friend played him combined with Xzar, Jaheira and Khalid. Worst party ever).

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Garrik is incredibly useless though he's a rather acceptable pickpocket. Safana sucks, just like Xzar and Monty. And not to mention Shaar'Teel ....

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 01, 2001).]

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Heh, Faldorn is so useless I forgot about her even being in the game. Makes you wonder why they would even take the time to make a druid NPC when they treated the druid class so poorly from the outset. I do have a couple of points to argue, though. Firstly, Qyuayle is far from useless. First, he's the only cleric/mage is the game, so that makes him gold in my eyes right there. Secondly, so what if he has poor wisdom. Sure, he has a few less spells than every other cleric, but is that the determining factor in making a character useful. Lets not forget he has access to most of the mage spells as well, getting up to level 4 spells in both classes with TotSC installed. Besides, his personality is great, and he makes a great foil to Minsc and Dynheir. I also wonder why Xzar is considered useless. Admitedly, he's not Edwin, but then exactly who is? He makes a fine mage IMO, and I actually liked his character. There was just something about him that fit well into the evil party I played breifly. Dunno. I actually liked him.

20. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

A lot of people will probably flame me for this but IMO Minsc is the most useless NPC. He is stupid, he isnt as good at fighting as Khalid and he has a habit of dying to spells due to his bad ST's. Dynaheir is great though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.