1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most hated Athletes in sports

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Your second link was more interesting for the two lists after the initial one.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Was was surprised to see Mickelson on the list.

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Cristiano Ronaldo should have been at the top.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The list is a bit American-centric. I haven't heard of half those athletes. I bet Barmy Army would come up with a completely different list that would be bound to have the odd Aussie or Kiwi in it.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I was was too - I thought he was was pretty much well-liked.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For the record, I wasn't surprised. It was my friend, Was, who was surprised.

:p

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Most hated athletes in AMERICAN sports. Please alter the title.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Can't -- there are too many soccer players in there.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't quite work out why about 3-4 football players were added to be honest. The author quite clearly doesn't know who they are. Apart from Beckham - possibly.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mostly American, yes. But C.Ronaldo probably has most haters in England. Lots of Dutchies who hate him, too, I should add. Like me. I'd place him 2nd, if Sepp Blatter is allowed on the list. But he (Blatter) created the haters after his ice hockey career.

Difficult to make a Global List, I guess, when every corner of the world has its own favored sports. If I cross the North Sea, I find myself in a land of cricket and rugby. God knows what weird stuff I'd find if I cross the Atlantic!

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No Ricky Ponting?

13. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

The author clearly doesn't even know what the footballers did to be hated. Drunkenly abusing American tourists after 9/11 should surely have made an appearance in Terry's piece. I've no idea what Crouch and Beckham are doing on the list, they'd be two of the most popular in England. Beckham is a national hero (since Greece 02, he was a national villain after Argentina 98).

Not knowing most of these athletes I'mm still at a loss as to why they're hated. Many of them were just said to be bad players or chokers. That hardly makes them bad people. Sharapova made the list for grunting. I'm pretty sure she wasn't the first and most of them are at that now.

I did find it interesting that sex scandals made up such a large part of the list. I guess it's a reflection of American puritanism. It's also unsettling seeing people being lambasted for alleged sex offences. By all means let them rot in jail if they're responsible but so much for innocent until proven guilty.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

For me, the one I hate most is Mike Tyson as Tyson defintely tops the list. As a big boxing fan, I couldn't wiat for Tyson-Holyfield to finally happen. He totally showed what aweak-ass punk he was, loweringhimself to biting the ear of Holyfield to get disqualified becuase he was getting stomped. What a wuss....

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

All I know is that FIGJAM is now entering my vocabulary.

16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm a bit surprised Ben Johnson didn't make the list. Using doping to win an Olympic gold medal didn't earn him many points in my book. But maybe it's been too long.

Bjarne Riis could also have made the list for winning the Tour de France in 1996 and later admitting - under pressure - to having used doping.

17. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not surprised to see Barry Bonds there. Little bit surprised Kobe is there, but I don't follow basketball. He seems revered as a hero or great player by the people I know.

So the most hated hockey players are Claude Lemieux, Bertuzzi, Avery, Ovechkin, Crosby, Chelios eh? That's both ends of the extremes: extremely talented, and extremely dirty. Interesting how people hate dirty players and hate successful superstars all the same.

18. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    They should add Zdeno Chara on there. I wouldn't walk the streets of Montréal alone if I was him...

That hit was not only contreversial, it became political. The owner of the Canadiens is the president of the Molson Brewing company, a major sponsor for the NHL, wrote a letter to the league to protest the lack of punishment to Chara following the hit. Air Canada and Via Rail, two other sponsors, publicly stated they would review their sponsorship if the NHL didn't overturn their decision. Even other players and teams became involved. What's even funnier (and somewhat stupid, I agree) is when the league announced there would be no suspension, montrealers flooded the 9-1-1 line with calls about Zdeno Chara. The police even opened an investigation... :lol:

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well to be honest Floyd Llandis is a LOT more easier to hate than Bjarne Riis. Hell the guy even went on to write a book about how he's innocent and in the end when he was screwed and out of money he admitted it all and pointed his finger on Lance Armstrong. Now that I think of it even Lance himself could be a decent addition to the list.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.