1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morte is a sexist pig!

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Grovflab, May 27, 2001.

1. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I wonder what they would think of Fall From Grace's brothel. If you think about it, it is actually trying to be PC (but some of the dippy prostitutes don't help the PC effort). Oh well, I think the reviewer hadn't got that far yet (she was still trying to free ignus and only mentioned finding one female NPC). It's also interesting that she didn't mention that the two most powerful characters in the game (ignoring TNO) are both women (Ravel and the Lady of Pain).

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Slappy, you answered yourself - if she's still wandering around Ignus, how the hell she could even suspect that Ravel exists? ;)

btw, IMHO Ravel is the main character of this game - if there wasn't Ravel, nothing important of the game story wouldn't happen. I want to say, the story is circulating around her and her deeds - Nameless One is just her small affair from the past.

And if we put things this way I don't understand the opinion that this game offends women. What would they say then on Fallout2?

4. Avooch Dar Guest

I think it is getting very petty to call these things sexist.
    The whole point of the game is to represent the world in a realistic way. I think that they have also missed the fact that the most powerful person in the game is actually a woman!

And we all know that women are the ones who are really in power! You could have the greatest adventurer in the world who has to explore the most dangerous dungeons in the world, but if his wife says he has to be back for tea. He does not argue!

sorry herf in edited it! i thought tal would have a go at me because it sounded too sexist before!
    [This message has been edited by Avooch Dar (edited May 28, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Avooch Dar (edited May 28, 2001).]

5. herf Guest

cuz women have boobs and they make the car heavier and therfore it will go slower and men, obviously, have a lack of breasts and lack of breasts make the car go faster so therefore men are better at f1 driving and i cant say ive ever heard of a woman trying to enter.

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There have been a few women F1 drivers - just not very many. The last one (I think)drove a Brabham when they were still around (1996 ish?) in the first couple of races of the year but failed to qualify I think. I also seem to remember reading that a women did win a F1 race sometime in the early 70s. Sorry can't remember the details. If anyone really wants to try tracking this down you could start your search at these sites:
    http://www.globalserve.net/~kemp/f1/links.html http://www.fosa.org/ http://www.brit-f1.co.uk/

7. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I personally just think that girls have more common sense than guys on average and thats why they dont feel like driving in a circle at insanely dangerous speeds.

--FenixStrife

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

No Fenix, girls are more practical than we are, but we possess more imagination then they are.
    They are trying to make all things usefull, we'are constantly dreaming.

There is more, but this is the core.

9. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Women. No imagination. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha... No, PRACTICALITY does not equal trying to make everything useful. Some things you keep simply because they look nice (um, that's meant to be metaphorical). Some of the greatest (imaginative) fantasy writers are WOMEN. Imho there are more women fantasy writers than men (am I wrong)?

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Those few women you think of are very special indeed. I'd like to see more of them, but...

No, more fantasies come from men. If only I were wrong, that would be a completely different place.

11. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The bottom line is women are one way and men another. There is mixing of both in both but no matter how you slice it, as a whole both lean in opposite directions. Now whether or not there leaning toward or away from each other usually depends on the weather...

12. Rogue16 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is so stupid, because Womengamers are supposed to be a community of the few female gamers there is, and instead of concentrating on that, all they seem to do is searching desperately for something they can call 'male chauvinism' in the games.
    if anyone's read their article about Annah, they also complain about her leather armor showing of too much, and her sexual characteristics being exaggerated. This is such a load of S*** in my opinion. I mean they don't even seem to notice that there's a REASON why she wears the leather armor, and besides it's not like TNO's wearing alot either, and no one's complaining about that.(as they shouldn't)
    and about her body being exaggerated, I can't really see it's so bad. So she looks good, so WHAT. in some of their other reviews it seems that the less sexy a female heroin is, the better. It's almost as if they're jealous.. pathetic.
    I'm a girl myself, and I found absolutely NOTHING offending about Torment.

13. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

well well well.. look at this thread i have stumbled upon!

I think it is great there is a womens rpg site! Granted she is going overboard with the word sexist. But it is obvious this game was targeted for a male customer. She praises the game for the most part.

As for women haveing no imagination... you obviously are meeting the wrong women!! There are hundreds of women authors, The dragonlance chronicles being an excellent example. It is men that lack real imagination. :p

14. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hey Kitiara, you do realize that Tracey Hickman is a he don't you?

15. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

um but Margaret Wies is a she.. and that is not the only example of female fantasy authors there are many.

16. Beto Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Kitiara, if you're still reading this post would like to know why you think men lack real imagination :eek: :D:

17. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

Actually was not me saying men lack imagination, was me defending womens imaginations...lol

18. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hey, Kit, how're you getting on with Torment. just thinking of the conversation we had in the chatroom about whether or not TNO could be female, because of

*****SPOILER, DELIBERATELY VAGUE TO AVOID EXCESSIVE SPOILAGE******
    *her* involvement in the central plot. *She* might be a pre-existing character from background literature, and I think the game would be weaker if *she* was a generic character so *she* could be *he*, as opposed to what *she* is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.