1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind vs. Oblivion

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by omnigodly, Oct 30, 2007.

1. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I have Oblivion and it's a pretty good game, though I've played through it twice and never finished the BEGINNING of the shivering isles expac.

I'm wondering which one is more fun. If it's Morrowind I may get it and give it a shot. If not, then I'll know to save my money. The lack of Multiplayer is an issue, 'cause despite the vast array ofthings to do in the game, it gets boring doing it alone. What I'm looking for is if the game has replayability (with or without mods, and if with mods... easy to install - 'cause I'm lazy like that).

I have yet to play anything besides a fighter, (though my fighter got pretty good at thieving, if not sneaking), so my next run through will either be an archer type or a magician (or mix). That might help point to facts that makes one more desireable than the other.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I played five characters before I modded on this sixth character. Believe me, Morrowind is replayable. :p And from what I've heard from people who've played both, definitely better than Oblivion.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I played Oblivion before I played Morrowind. They are different games.

In my opinion, Morrowind is a more immersive game. The main quest is more integrated into the whole game and really feels like a main quest.

Sure there where things that Oblivion improved upon. Graphics is brought up a lot but I think Morrowind's graphics fit the story.

I think comparing Morrowind and Oblivion is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Different fruits, different games. :D However I will proceed to do so.

Even before playing Morrowind, Oblivion struck me as a stew or a smorgasbord. A little bit of everything got tossed in.

Morrowind, on the other hand, is to me a full course dinner. There is no way you can eat everything at one sitting. You do solo though (unless you mod) although there is a lot of interaction with the npcs.

Just remember that in Morrowind you do not have a compass or marker to guide you to your destination. It is easy to travel around, you have a lot of options. People stay in the same place. I like that in Oblivion they move around, eat, sleep, gossip.

Need I mention leveling? :p

Plus you can now get Morrowind GotY cheap. I paid under $20. US. There are a lot of plug-ins available but be careful, I had problems with some of them. They are easy to install and instructions come with them. Be sure to read the read-mes. I say that with a :) because I couldn't get my game to run. Fel asked me in what order I installed the expansions and had I read the read-me. I had to admit I had NOT. :o

I love Morrowind and find very re playable and I have only few plug-ins. Very few indeed.

Any other questions I will be happy to try and answer. :D

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I liked both games, however Morrowind had some annoying faults and occasional quest breaks.

Having said that it was definitely a game you could immerse yourself in. Oblivion lacks that.

5. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Cool! Thanks for that comparison it actually did bring up a few more question (btw, I like oranges more than apples, but I still love apples :) ).

#1 - Does Morrowind like Oblivion do the cross-class thing? What I mean is, does it leave skills easy to increase despite my class? My fighter in Oblivion ended up being an amazing lockpick and mage, head of the fighters, mages and thieves guilds, so I didn't really feel like I was missing anything in the entirety of the game if I didn't play a thief or mage.

#2 - Where does the replayability come from? Is it like there's a ton of different choices to take or is that different choices open up with different race/class/alignment? (I know there's no real alignment you pick at character creation... i think... but there's definately good/evil/don't care options).

Thanks. I'll let you know of my decision asap :) .

6. Felinoid

#1 - Definitely. There are certain skills that are almost crucial (Security being one of them), some spells that you're going to want to be able to cast (meaning at least a small measure of proficiency in the skills), etc. Not to mention there are two weapons of different types that you are required to wield in a pressure situation, so you're guaranteed to want to train those skills up at least a little bit regardless of what weapons you usually use.

#2 - All of the above, though in rather specific ways. There are three Great Houses on Vvardenfell (the island part of Morrowind where the game takes place), memberships in which are mutually exclusive, each with unique storylines and feels. The mutual exclusivity also applies to the vampire clans, but not the storyline part (the Quarra clan's questline is actually broken, BTW). There's a miscellaneous quest that can be solved more quickly if you're a specific race, a few faction and miscellaneous quests that have stat requirements (with workarounds of course, to be fair), and even faction quests that happen differently depending on if you also belong to another faction!

Add to that the faction storylines (mostly feuds, but still) are honestly more engaging than the main quest, and you're guaranteed to want to play three times just to see how the Great Houses turn out. Not to mention trying out weapons you come across but don't use because they're not your specialty, and the human/werewolf split in the Bloodmoon main quest. There's just so much to explore, and after your first time, you'll know it's good enough to explore it ALL. :D

7. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Hah! Felinoid you promote this game like it's your favorite :p .

Next time I'm near a best buy or fry's or Amazon (*wink wink* Tal *cough* *gag* oops...) I'll check out the box :) .

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I bought the game through Amazon (yes, Tal, I used the SP link). It was a third party and I didn't get the paper map that is supposed to come with the GotY. :( But everything else was fine.

9. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hi,

I started playing Morrowind for about a week now, and I LOVE the freedom sense you get. I mean you can roam EVERYWHERE and do what you want. On that note I think I might have shortcircuited some quests since I tend to explore every random cave I come accross... :p

Anyhow, the only thing that I find kind of missed the mark is the combat system, which is more action / adventure than RPG - it's a left-click fest.
    Also the dialogue options aren't the most intuitive, but you get used to it.

Other than that, the game is AWESOME, and it's just impossible to let it down.

10. Nakia

Media:
    I'm not positive about spoiling quests but off-hand I know of only one quest that gets spoiled.

If you find an item that has a name it may be a quest item. I did sell a shield that I needed later in the game. :doh: So it is a good idea to sell things that seem special to the same person so you remember where you sold it.

11. Felinoid

Not so much. Merchants will automatically equip anything that's "better" than what they have on. So if you sell them a high-damage weapon (of the type they like) or high-rated armor (for their skill levels), they may use it themselves and not put it up for resale to you. Then the only way to get it back is to sell something that they want more so they'll use that instead and then put what you want up for sale.

12. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

I swear... Felinoid is not a person - Felinoid is a computer. With some form of artificla intelligence or just a really well developed search engine that traverses the forums and uses it's 20 terrabyte memory to answer any and all questions...

13. Nakia

Media:
    :lol: omnigodly, but not quite true, only in certain areas and I will not tell you which ones those are. :p

Now back to Morrowind vs Oblivion. There is one fun thing that Oblivion has that Morrowind doesn't.

You can pick up things with the z key and walk around with them. You can move corpses and rearrange them if you have enough patience. In Oblivion I really would be able to move the tax man's body into the water. :evil:

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Lol. I hated that... if Morrowind doesn't have it, even better. I got so annoyed of items being in my crossair while I was trying to attack soemthing or drop something and I'd have to swing it off...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.