1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind - good?

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by TrueBlueAussie, Jan 20, 2007.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just how good is this game? I have found a cheap copy on ebay and am wondering if it is worth getting?

[ February 25, 2007, 00:12: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Realy good if your into character creation. Sort of a "do what you want" RPG. I loved it.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I love it and think it is better than Oblivion. Yes, the graphics are old and there are things that Ob improved. Spell casting for instance. The Magister is correct it is very much a
    There is no pressure. None of that "Rush and get this done" when it is all a lie thing. And there are a zillion mods out there.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Most definitely. But don't start until you've got a full day to play.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's a good game; it has many major weaknesses, but they weren't enough for me to not complete the original and the Tribunal expansion. Currently I have just started my second run through the game.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I've got mixed feelings about that game, I love the atmosphere, the surroundings and the originality of the environment and creatures. Non linearity is awesome. Few games offer that much freedom.

Character design is well made but once you get to a higher level you can develop almost any skill (still you have many different ways to build a character and that is really good).

The experience system is awesome as well.

Some areas were not that good however. I remember having a hard time travelling around Vivec and getting lost because I couldn't find the place I was looking for (because all areas looked the same... grumble).

What puts me off is the lack of diversity in the dialogues. You get themes and topics from characters but it's not fleshed out and many NPCs will give the same information. Speechcraft is useful but in the end it's disappointing. You need a lot of willing suspension of disbelief to make it work and it's a pity because the environment is so immersive that you just get drawn into it until you read those random and very factual topics every time you talk to an NPC.

I didn't like the way some quests worked (even with a high level in Speechcraft you don't get any option to betray your employer).

It's a great game and depending on the way you like to play you might enjoy it a lot. Exploration and freedom!

I don't want to give away any spoilers but there are a few surprises along the way and rmaking magic items is really cool.

I didn't play the extensions, but I'm thinking about buying them since they are cheap by now.

7. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It's a great game and fairly unique when put up against most of the other RPGs out there. The weakness of the game is it's way too easy to become uber powerful very quickly and the game becomes a cake-walk. The key to really enjoying it I think is to genuinely role-play a character and just take your time and explore. If you power-game your way through you'll find it will get too easy and, therefore, boring.

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Sir Fink@: Too powerful? Try running through Red Mountian a few times and see how powerful you really are.

Any problems or things that I thought made the game bad were mainly to do with the magic system. Other then that Morrowind (along with Tribunal and Bloodmoon) Is a very good game.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Too powerful early on? I die so many times early on I have a special graveyard just for my character.

I agree with The Magister my main complaint is the magic system or at least the casting and time a spell lasts. In this I think Oblivion did a better job.

PS: Sir Fink were you playing 100 difficulty?

[ January 22, 2007, 02:55: Message edited by: Nakia ]

10. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    No kidding! It's very frustrating. I got killed by 2 rats.

I keep getting lost, too.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The only time I felt powerful early on is when I had a Redguard with full long sword skills (50 at start), with Adreneline Rush on fighting rats (with chameleon items possibly as well).

12. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

The first few levels are a challenge but there are some very powerful weapons you can sometimes just get lucky and happen upon or get as a quest reward. Once you get those you're killing most enemies in a single hit.

There are some things you can really abuse like Alchemy which can make your character just insanely powerful. Potions, for example, stack so you can drink a dozen Strength boosting potions and absolutely destroy everything with the flick of your wrist. You can make a levitation potion that lasts nearly forever and allows you to fly a safe distance into the air and just take your time and kill everything that moves.

13. Nakia

Media:
    I guess I find the game challenging because I don't abuse the cheesy things. Though I must remember them for the next time I meet up with Umbra. Yes there are a few things that with a little luck you can get that help but then I've found in Morrowind there are enemies you can meet early on that can wipe you out quickly if you don't have some help.

14. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i loved the game.i died very often at first,myself.some battles,i had to drink over a dozen healing potions during it to stay alive.as far as getting lost,i'm always lost.in games and in life,if there's ever 2 ways to go,you can count on me to go the wrong way first.as far as spells taking too long,try icewind dale 2.i can send out for pizza before these people finish casting a spell.overall,in my opinion,morrowind and it's expansions are great

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.