1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind Beginner Tips?

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Jesper898, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

i just got a new comp :D
    AMD athlon 1800+
    Geforce3
    512 mb RAM

So now i can finally run Morrowind :p
    Could anyone give me some beginners help?
    and could someone give me the locations of the vampire tombs too?

Thanks

[ March 01, 2006, 04:02: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You might wanna wait with the vampirism until you've gained a bunch of levels.. I wouldn't recommend it before level 10, even though it's probably possible around level 5.

Create a custom class instead of using one of the precreated ones. That way you get a character that fits you perfectly. Don't be afraid to restart the game as a new character if you, after a while, feel that maybe this class/race wasn't your cup of tea. What else.. umm, just like any other RPG, a good way to start the game is by going with the simple warrior, but don't be afraid to try and mix in some thief or mage parts.. Alchemy is a very powerful skill in Morrowind, and one that kind of makes sense for warriors: if you're out in the woods on your own it's a great idea to be able to make your own healing potions. Same thing with Sneak, if you prefer thieves.. a succesful backstab in Morrowind means *4 damage, that's quite a lot.

3. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

4. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

thanks guys :D

5. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Say anyone know where to get a savegame editor? I suck at non AD&D RPGs.

6. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Since this topics here I won't start a new one. I have some questions about Morrowind I need answered since I just got the game two days ago.

1)How on earth do you use the Alchemy skill? I know it has something to do with ingredients you find from mushrooms and the like, but how do you actually mix the ingredients to brew a potion? What steps must I take? Anything else needed other than the ingredients?

2)Is it possible to steal stuff inside containers and get away with it?

3)What can kill the ghosts in the various tombs.

4)I broke my leg(not really) by falling off a cliff and my acrobatics skill went up. Is there any other less harmful ways to boost this skill or should I just find the highest cliff and perform another leap of faith.

5)Will the update patch make my saved games invalid if I install it?

Try not to post spoilers because. :nono:

[ September 10, 2002, 07:32: Message edited by: Frog ]

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

1) IIRC, you can eat the ingredients, but that isn't particularly effective, and might have side effects. The most affective way of doing it is using a mortar and pestle or various other such equipment to mix them with.

2) Yeah, but you need a very good sneak rating, and it helps if you do it when nobody is looking in your direction.

3) Not sure, I've always been able to kill them fine with my Dwemur Jinksword.

4) Only other ways are jumping a great amount or paying cash to improve.

5) Not sure.

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I didnt have good sneak rating and i was still stealing things all over the place :D :D
    You can get masters mortar and pestle in that first city you are sent to (something on B) in alchemists shop. and in mages guild yoou can get other things ;)

9. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

This may sound stupid: How do you eat stuff?

10. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The same way you drink potions - just click on the thing and click on your figure in the inventory screen or something like that.

11. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Thanks, oh and I found a grandmaster mortar and pestle laying on a desk in some plantation. Being the filthy theif that I am, I took it.

Anyone know any basic recipes?

[ September 12, 2002, 06:51: Message edited by: Frog ]

12. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

It is easy, if you have good alchemy skill since it shows on each ingredient what it "does", and when you mix at least two with the same effect you get that potion. (no point in mixing more than two except if you want to have multiple potions in one).
    Notice: You can try to mix several ingredients and see what they do in that "effect" window opened when you double-click on any alchemy tool even if you don't have alchemy skill to see that in first place.

Here is list of some i found on the net (not mine):
    --RESIST COMMON DISEASE--
    Ash Yam Kagouti Hide pearl Resin

--RESTORE HEALTH--
    Corkbulb Root Emerald Marshmerrow Resin Saltrice
    Whickwheat Corprus Weepings

--RESTORE FATIGUE--
    Bread Chokeweed Crab Meat Hack-Lo Leaf Hound Meat
    Lg. Kwama Egg Muffin Saltrice Scrib Jerky Scuttle
    Sm. Kwama Egg

--RESTORE MAGICKA--
    Comberry Daedra's Heart Frost Salts Void Salts

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

IIRC you find recepies during the game.
    And there is some time since it came to the stores there should be an alchemy guide somewhere ;)

14. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Thanks guys, but for some odd reason when I play the game for a long time, when its loading a new area, theres a chance that the game will crash. Ii has happen to me a few times now. Anyone know whats up?

BTW: Question 5 still pending...

15. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

You could have problem with virtual memory, it happened to me few times and i just restarted.
    As for the patch thingie: there are many patches for this game (you can make your own), but if you think about those official patches, they have always documentation that says if is it compatible with previous versions. When I have played the game before, I have patched the game once and old savegames were compatible, but you can't use them again in the older version, but you can always manually backup your savegames (my advice).

[ September 16, 2002, 15:03: Message edited by: total ]

16. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Thanks, and the last question I forgot to ask. How the heck do you start up the constuction kit? Every time I try to open the main Morrowind file it is unable to.

And are there any good tutorials for this thing?

17. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

This is a pretty well done guide, be it used as a tutorial for new players or for hints for more advanced players.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.