1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind and Enchanting

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Ok, so I started Morrowind for the umteenth time today, and each time I play I like to try a new skill, and this time its Enchanting...only problem is, I don't know how to make it work, could someone give me a step by step guide? or just explain it to me?

thanks in advance :)

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Enchanting items yourself or using enchanted items? I'm assuming the former.

You need:
    soul gems
    'exquisite' (works best) clothing or jewelry
    way to trap a soul
    decent skill in enchanting
    the spell effect you want to enchant

Cast the spell Soul Trap on a creature. Kill it within the time of the spell length (30 sec. for standard spell). It's soul should go into a soul gem you have in your inventory. Drag the charged gem onto your paper doll and you should get something like: Recharge Item/Create Item

Now you get a screen that looks like the spell making one. What item do you use it on? How long? What effects do you want it to do?

Some creatures need big soul gems. Golden Saints are (usually) the only ones you can use for 'constant' effects. They go into Grand Soul Gems; they look like fat gold coins. Azura's Star (late in game depending on how you play :) ) is rechargeable! :eek:

Use enchanted items to get you skill up. Fargoth's ring at the beginning is enchanted and helps a lot. They only increase it a little, so be prepared to take time to do it. Try using Petty or Minor Soul Gems with rats, scribs, cliff racers, etc. in them on blank pieces of paper to make spell scrolls.

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks Kuemper...Do you know where I can get the Soul Trap spell?...can you learn it, or do you need to buy a scroll everytime you want to use it?

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

See Dave I told you kuemp would know :p

5. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Its ok....I found the spell...although I failed to make my item, cos I need to level up my skill by using some enchantments :D

@DS - indeed he does...and thanks for the useful, informative post :p

And thankyou Mr KiltedCrusader for sending me that link to that FAQ about enchanting :D

6. ObviousDelirium Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Unfortunatly, enchanting in the game is rather bothersome, you really do need a high enchantment AND intelligence to actually enchant things yourself without much trouble, but even there, if you wished to create, for example, a constant effect enchantment, then doing it yourself would cause it to fail for the most part, you'd basicly need about 1000 intelligence to actually have a high chance of creating such an enchantment, you can easily create some potions raising intelligence so much with alchemy though.

kuemper, the Ascended Sleepers can also be used for constant effect, of course, they are rarer then the Golden Saints.

7. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The Enchant skill is the best-kept secret in the game. Don't bother with the hard work of trying to practice it, and don't put it in your top ten; just pay the gold to have it raised. The master-trainer is hard to find (and, worse, you have to pacify him since he begins hostile), but don't stress; even a little Enchant goes a long way.

Why? Because the higher your Enchant skill, the fewer points that it costs to use a repeat-use enchanted item. I'm not sure of the exact math ratio, but suppose you have a flaming sword with a bank of 200 points, with the effect that each strike adds fire damage. With a low Enchant, each strike would drain maybe 20 points; with a high Enchant, maybe 2 points. It doesn't take much extra Enchant before items become much, much more efficient tools than spells. In my own game, once I trained up Enchant to high levels, I never bothered casting spells; items were more cost-efficient.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:grin: I knew there was another one! Besides Vivec, of course. :evil: :angel:

Enchantment sucks at the beginning, because you suck at it. Even making it a priority in character creation, it will still stink. I could never get the master trainer to calm down to use him.

9. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I trapped Vivec and his sister in a pair of soul gems...I use them for nightlights. Is that wrong?

10. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I really could'nt be bothered to find the master level enchanter - and train up - I just used the mages guild. All that messing about making intelligence and luck potions that make your stat 4000 seemed like a lot of hassle.

11. ObviousDelirium Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

No need for a master enchanter, just have a spell on touch that raise the Enchant skill for maybe 2 or 3 seconds on touch and quickly talk to the NPC before the spell comes off them, keep doing this untill you have 100, just have to make sure to have restore magicka potions handy, unless you built yourself to have a lot (Atronach sign for one).

12. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

In order to raise skills don't you need the expansions.

13. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Another tip for enchanting...get Azura's Star. It's a re-usable soul gem and the only one capable of holding Vivec and Amalexia (if you're diabolically evil like Grey Magistrate).

I've never tried using Enchant as a skill. By the time you start to find items and soul gems and critters worth making an enchantment out of, you've got soooo much money in your pocket it's almost a joy to have something to spend it on at the local enchant shack.

To me the most fun about enchanting is being able to rename your custom items...Exquisite shirt with 30 points of Fortify Strength becomes "Blouse of Extreme Manliness", Daedric shield with 50 points of Fortify Block becomes "Mighty Wall of Keep-Trying-To-Hit-Me-Sucka", Exquisite Pants with Personality boost become "Extraordinarily well cut trousers", Daedric di-Katana with 20 points each of fire, frost and shock damage becomes "My Blade's Bigger".

...but then, I'm weird like that.

Also, remember if you ever run into a Golden Saint with a name (Staad, I think) or a named Dremora or Daedroth, make every attempt to soul trap them as they sometimes make more potent soul gems than the un-named variety.

Another tip for enchanting...either find or make a short blade that casts soul trap and add it to your quick menu. When you see a critter you want to trap, switch to the short blade to hit the critter and cast soul trap, then switch back to your main weapon for the kill. Short blades hit more quickly than any other weapon, so without wasting too much time you can get your spell cast on the hapless creature. You never want to have soultrap on your primary weapon because you end up trapping hundreds of useless rats and cliff racers and using up all your gems.

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Nope, hat's not true. You'll get the exact same enchantment value as with a regular Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper, which is 80.000. Same goes for all the Dagoths you'll encounter throughout the game, although Dagoth Ur himself might be more. I never managed to trap his soul though, so i guess i wouldn't know. But i bet it won't fit in any of the regular soulgems, so i guess you'll have to be in possession of Azura's Star for that in order to do it succesfully.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.