1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More Vista Issues

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by TrueBlueAussie, Feb 6, 2008.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Okay, got another Vista issue. How do I enable it so that I can do pretty much anything I want in Program Files? (like it was in every other version of windows)

I try to unzip a file in there, it wont let me. I try running an .exe file to add some file to a folder and it wont let me.

This is mainly for modding. It wont let me convert the sound set from IWD2 to BG2 as it says "Access is denied" and it wont let me unzip files directy into the root folders.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Right click on the folder in question, and go to security, or permissions (permissions if its available, it might be under security).

Click edit or modify.

Click add users.

Type everyone in the box, click check names, click okay.

then, make sure "everyone" has full access to the folder.

Montresor likes this.
  3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Thanks Proteus, youve been an absolute champ :thumb:

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Ever thought of ordering the XP disks I mentioned in another thread? You're legally allowed to install it with a Vista license.

5. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Wouldnt you have to pay for XP still though? I highly doubt MS would give away one of its OS's to a customer.

In any case, I dont think Vista is that bad, although it does have its teething problems. Its gui is actually quite pleasing on the eye when you get used to it.

6. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

@DotW Im an optimist mate. Im hoping that it gets a lot better with the service pack. Its still pretty good, and I think it will be a big advancement over xp with a service pack.

7. Disciple of The Watch

If you get your comp from one of the major manufacturers like HP or Dell, you can call their CS and order XP recovery disks. All the info about your PC is stored in an inaccessible partion on the HD, which means XP will not require a CDkey neither an activation. I've installed XP on Vista-equipped laptops many times at my former job, and it always worked without a hitch.

Ordering those disks is usually free. If they try to make you pay, just argue a little bit.

8. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

No good for me I'm afraid. I built my PC myself and bought an OEm copy of Vista 64.

That being said, I'm actually happy with it. I've had some issues, but I've never had a computer that didnt have any at all. In fact, this computer has been rather stable.

Not really very compatible, but stable.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Same here, except for Vista. I was given a retail copy of XP (Made the special request of the English version) back when I was taking my computer tech class, so I use this one for gaming, and run Debian for internet, work, stuff like that.

I too prefer building my own rigs, but a lot of folks out there don't have the skill/knowledge or don't want to do so. Judging by the number of manufacturer laptops I have seen at my former job, taking the lazy way of ordering a rig full of crap from one of the big players is pretty common.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.