1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More Knowledge on D&D please?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Satiana Fearbringer, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Being that I am a newby and all. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of reading I would want to do in order to get a better understanding of how D&D works.

I wanted to get into it when I was younger, but my parents thought it was inherently evil and said they would try to kill me themselves if they found out I was playing.

Anyway, I wanted to have a better understanding of the game and was hoping all of you who have much knowledge un this topic would shed some light my way. I have learned much by playing BG1 &2 and Icewind Dale, but I still have much to learn.

2. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well here goes, you can pick-up (or borrow form friends ;)) any players handbook, but to get good knowledge overall, I would start with the earlier editions and move forward, just so you can learn some background info.

Other than that, it all depends on what sort of knowledge you wish to aquire. If you want to learn about monsters, find a MOnster Manual published by D&D, If you wish to learn about any one worlds Gods, pick up a Faiths and Avatars book (there are about a billion), and so on.

It is good to see those in search of knowledge though.

3. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeah, get your hands on a Player's Handbook and it should explain just about everything. However, I would be careful what you look for. Icewind, BG-1, and BG-2 use a 2nd edition system with 3rd edition add-ons. The THAC0 and AC systems have been altered, and some of the concepts you came to know in these CRPGs are not true in 3rd edition. There was a major rules overhaul in 3rd edition that changed a good bit on how the game is played. For the future, like NWN, D&D based CRPGs will be based on these new rules, so getting to know them is probably a good idea.

Amon-Ra

4. Elrawyn Amadriel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There was a major overhaul in the rules, but I find it much easier to explain with 3rd edition to those just starting in my group. I like the new rules a lot.

5. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

Oh, well thankyou EternalPaladin, I will look to a friend for a book or two. I may purchase a few as well if I can find something that I want.

I would like a general rule book to start out with that explains the rolling in order to get your character built and what all types of characters you can play, ect...

Thanks. Any information you can give me is most welcome.

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Immature Post: D&D knowledge: Drizzt rules!

7. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

Of course he rules! That was one of the first things I learned.

I was talking about more indept knowledge, not the obvious. :)

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If you want to become a DM, try to be original by inventing worlds and dungeons that have not been seen in the books/others etc. But it is alright to be influenced by such settings...Personally i would like to play a game with 4 plains of existence...such as

1) The high heavens
    2) The mortal realm
    3) The Marine realm (underwater)
    4) Hell

You could always add or subtract plains from this idea to give it some originality...

I must go now...Evil Sniper is after me...

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited January 07, 2001).]

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

not newby.

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] "Septic Spellcheck" :D

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Again I'd suggest getting the Players Handbook (PHB) to get general rule info and Character class and race designs. Again if you use to playing BG and IWD second 2nd ed. will be more familiar to you but overall 3rd ed. maybe easier to understand. In addition the Dungeon Master Guide (DMG) will give you more insight into the game.

If you have any questions about rules or others RPGs things just let me know. I'd be happy to answer them in detail.

13. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] Voltric, as suggested I am going to start out with the 3rd edtion hand book that I plan on borrowing from a friend.
    I didn't think about getting a DM book. I don't think I personally will ever DM a game, I don't exactly have that much time on my hands.
    If I have some questions after I get through the 3rd edition I will look you up. Thanks man.

14. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

Oh, and Septic, do you do english papers too?

15. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I tell you, once you've played Planescape: Torment you'll never look at games the same way again.

Torment has everything a good story has, and it reads like a book. Drama, romance, conflict, plot twists, etc. The setting was really brought to life, and the background music is great!

I tell you, the setting in BG2 may be good, but once you see Torment you'll *know* the true meaning of *atmosphere*.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.