1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monsters and sneak attack

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Valer, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Dragons
    Undead
    Constructs (All Golems)

Dunno if I'm forgetting anything else.

I'm pretty sure there are more similar enemies.

3. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Elementals too, I think

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is why I find sneak attack to be so frustrating because all of the really tough monsters are immune to it. What's the point of scoring 100 points of sneak attack damage on goblins and orcs that only have 20 hit points to start off with?

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Are you sure dragons are immune to sneak attacks?

I dont see why they should be. AFAIK the criteria for immunity is undiscernible anatomy, which dragons obviously dont posses.
    It could be argued by size advantage, since you wont see a halfling rogue cutting dragon's throat, if he can barely reach his talons. It still is possible though.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

As far as I can tell, anything tough is immune to sneak attacks and critical hits. It's not fair.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

It's called game balance HB! :)

Sucks...I know! :)

But Rogues are way more powerful than anything else as they get UMD on top of Sneak Attack.

Fighting a lich? Take a scroll or three of SUnbeam along.

Fighting Golems? Grab crumble, and a Mace of Smiting or whatever it's called.

Dragons...well...AFAIK they are immune to sneak attack, but not to Critical Hits, Traps...nor can they get through concealment! :)

If everything in the game could be sneak attacked, rogues would be gods. :D

8. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, dragons are supposed to be huge. So, you might try to cut their throat by surprise, but is not going to work :) AFAIK, they are also immune to critical hits.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Nope...they are definitely not immune to critical hits! I was playing a Rogue/SD/Assassin vs. the Guardian Dragon while trying to recover the word of power during Chap. 3 of OC NWN.

I got atleast one critical hit for sure! :)

Now, if you were fighting a Dracolich...! :eek:

10. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Dragons have True Seeing, and thus can't be snuck up on. So... immune to sneak attacks. But not immune to criticals.

Kind of silly but them's the rules. Druids that shift into Dragon Form become sneak immune and gain True Seeing as well, BTW.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.