1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monks with armor

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Athalon, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Athalon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you read the description for Keldorn's Armor it mentions that "few others than" he can wear it. Interesting. Turns out that Monks can wear it, if they have these stats:
    15 STR
    17 CON
    12 INT
    18 CHA
    You can, of course, improve your stats via items. Say you have only 14 STR and 3 CHA. So, if you put on the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength and the Ring of Human Influence, you will raise your stats and could then wear the armor.

This is the ONLY armor that Monks can wear! It has an AC of 0, +1 to Saving Throws and Free Action on its wearer. Of course, when your Monk hits level 18 his natural AC is just as good as the armor, making it almost pointless. (You still get the Free Action and Saving Throw bonus, of course)

2. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Dude, are you cutting and copying spoilers out of the walkthru verbatim? That's like a broken pencil...pointless.

3. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That has GOT to be a bug.

4. Athalon Gems: 5/31

Got it off a Bug revealer at bgdungeon long time ago. I copied it to a file and just read that part

5. Subra Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Dude, its verbatim from Dan Simpson IIRC.

6. Athalon Gems: 5/31

what the nuts is Dan Simpson? related to Homer in anyway? I got it off bgdungeon long while back, no joke.

7. DemoGorgon Guest

Dan simpson is cool, i used his items list i think. he also has a walkthru

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

to clear out who Dan Simpson is, he made the most impressive walkthrough to date (ok, Syl's better I think, but I had completed bg2 at that time) and a cool item list. You should check out his stuff in the games -> bg2 -> walkthrough section here at SP

9. Thorr Gems: 5/31

I wonder if Courthala Family Armour (of Valygar) could be used by someone else. It has also the mention "a few others could use it".

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As I said about bgdungeon and their "original" content, where do you think they copied it from? Right.

11. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

EDIT: About the Corthala Family Armor

Yes, according to my experience Human dualclassed fighter-mages and ranger-clerics can use it, provided they have 18 DEX and 11 WIS.

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited July 27, 2001).]

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

First, that IS a bug. Also many more items in the game shouldn't be useable by monks - but they still are. Black Isle strikes again.

Second, who is Dan Simpson? Don't answer that, I actually don't care. Nor I care what's bgdungeon.

Third, Modjahed, do check what exactly armor are you talking about. I'd say you talk about Corthala Family Armor which is NOT useable by only bard, cleric, mage, mage/thief, paladin and druid. All other classes can use it. Of course, if they have DEX18 and WIS11.

13. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Well, Extremist, it is not a regular armor :), if it can't be used by cleric, druid, paladin, bard, mage and thief.

So it leaves us only with dual or multi-classed fighters.

I never play multi-classed fighters, only dual ones (except Jay that has DEX17), THAT is why in my post I wrote:

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Ok, ok, no need to get nasty...

Multiclasses can't wear it - if you're human you can't be MC. I didn't ment to include MC possibility nor I mentioned it. Only that all dual classes except mage/thief can use it with those two stats.

[Edit]
    Sorry more - i forgot to say that thief also can't use it.
    Indeed, my first post looks like I thought on MC too, sorry... :(

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited July 27, 2001).]

15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hey Subra, lighten up. If mentioning something from the FAQ is off limits, then why have a forum?

If you don't like the info, then don't read it.

16. Subra Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Lighten up? I'm so light I may float ....I just disdain obvious cut/copy fom a document that has been out for over a year. I acknowledge not everyone has consumed as much BG literature as I have though, so I offer my humble apology for my insinuation of plagerism from the poster. There is such a thing as copywright and if you cut/copy something, you should give credit to the author.

17. shadow_thief Guest

S'ok! Jack, that topic was 10 posts ago! Did you even read anything in between? Subra, I'm glad that you think you can float, but, can we forget about the whats-his-name already?

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Excuse me.

I never saw topic about that armor on these boards before. Also I never saw that anyone posted or mentioned it somewhere else. Yes, it doesn't mean it is new, but it is new to me.
    And I don't think he made a mistake putting it as a new thread.

I take it as it's far more better to post one old info than hundreds of those meaningless spams.

19. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Rangers and paladins CAN Wear the Corthala Family Armor and i got Anomen to wear it as well (w/ the Gloves of Dex)

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Firestorm, read my posts again. Rangers CAN use it. Paladins CAN'T.

[Edit]

If I wasn't so clear, and to avoid more speculations - all kits can use it, including paladin kits. But pure paladin can't use it.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited July 29, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.