1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk haste immunity

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Yoshimo's Heart, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Does anybody know which parameter I need to delete in shadow keeper to remove the immunity to haste (or at least improved haste) that a monk possesses? I want to use imp haste with my monk but I can't seem to figure out how to remove it in shadow keeper since it does not outright say which affect is the immunity to haste.

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I'd hazard a guess: Free Action. It's the fabled double-edged sword of defensive buffs.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm pretty sure that there is a mod that fixes this, but I can't recall which one. I thought it was either G3 Fixpack or G3 tweaks, but I didn't spot it with a quick search of the readmes.
    It's not aTweaks or dTweaks either.

4. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

G3 had a a mod that changed the monk to be more 3e like though its flurry of blows ability aparently was buggy and that particular part of the mod does not work with BG2EE.

I think it was called Sword and Fist.

I like parts of that mod however I found that the creators of the mod seemed more intent on porting 3e directly into 2e without actually considering how the same numbers do not always equal the same effect. For instance they changed the monks magic resistance to the same as 3e which is 10+level but in 3e that is essentially a 50% MR assuming equal level but that is far less in 2e where magic resistance works differently. They also changed the AC bonus to +1 at 5th level and every 5 levels which is the 3e bonus but 3e also gives you the AC bonus for high wisdom which this mod cannot replicate and due to the lack of max dex mods to heavy armor AC is tweaked compared to 3e.

You are right though the immunity to haste was one of the things eliminated in that mod.

The sad part is years ago I did this using shadow keeper but I don't have that computer anymore so I don't know which thing I deleted in my game to do that and my attempts so far have failed.

Oddly in all of these mods put out the one thing that has not been added to the monk is an evasion type ability (a successful save means no damage type ability). Every monk class before and after this one has at least the option of choosing to have tha ability which includes the 1e monk and the D&D mystic class back in the day.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to remove the free action perk that disables haste, but doing so would make the monk vulnerable to hold and slow. Making an equivalent without the haste immunity is the problem.
    I suppose I could go through and put "immune to op code" for every effect that free action protects from however.
    I never got around to learning to make WeiDu installers, so somebody else would have to corroborate with me if I made such a mod.
    They would have to mod CLABMO01 to change one of the AB_SPCL??? lines and install a new SPCL???.SPL file into the override folder.
    It's been a while since I took a good look at the game files, it might not work, but I'll look some time this week.

---------- Added 1 hours, 2 minutes and 37 seconds later... ----------

I located the code, and found it was an absurdly simple mod to remove the immunity to haste. It has been a while since I played with a monk or read the description of the class, and I was distracted by the "free action" comment on the thread. Instead, the monk gets immunity to slow and haste at level five.
    The monk is immune to haste BY DESIGN, and it outright says so in the description.
    The file SPCL814.SPL specifically makes the monk immune to disease, slow, and haste.
    I've modified SPCL814.SPL to remove the immunity to haste, but leave the immunity to being slow using TeamBG's IEEP. I'm going to submit it to the download central page if Taluntain wants to approve it.

---------- Added 0 hours, 16 minutes and 38 seconds later... ----------

Oh, for the original question, I found it in shadowkeeper as well.
    Under the "affects" tab, for a monk of level 5 or higher, are a set of 3 lines that say "immunity to effect" with "param 1" all set to 0 and differing values for "param 2".
    Delete the one with a "param 2" of 16 and you should be able to haste the monk again.
    That should be
    Code:
    Type                     Name  Param 1  Param 2
    Immunity to effect            0            16

---------- Added 1 hours, 20 minutes and 12 seconds later... ----------

Oh, the mod is quite easy to make with TeamBG's IEEP.
    Just export SPCL814 with Shadowkeeper, open it in the Spell Maker component of IEEP, and remove the third extension header, (also the third "protection from op code") from the "spell", save it to the override folder, and you're done.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I wonder if there's similarly a way to make the Freedom ability of the Flail of Ages +5 not affect haste as well. It used to be my favorite weapon, but then they 'fixed' it in the G3 BG2 fixpack, and using it now will leave that party member suddenly slower than all the rest, who are wearing boots of haste that don't actually get made obsolete by the flail.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't think so, not unless you remove equipping effect #7 "Free action" and substitute a slew of "protection from op code" entries instead.
    It's doable, just tedious.
    It would not be a true "free action", but merely mimicking the effect without the haste bug, but I believe there's a famous saying that "a difference that makes no difference is no difference".
    I'm not sure how well it would be for affecting movement rate however. I think a choice that either you could be slowed by grease spells, or haste would give you the extra attacks per round but not the extra movement rate. Again, I'm not sure on that.

I'm not going to have time to even attempt to work on this today. I've used too much time as it is.

If you'd like to try yourself, I can tell you how to make the mod, I just don't have the time right now.

Also, I just realized that this is the "enhanced edition" forum, and I'm working with the original 4+2CD "Collector's Edition"

Anyways, the tools needed are
    1. Shadowkeeper, Infinity Explorer or NearInfinity to extract the file
    2. TeamBG's Infinity Engine Editor Pro (DLTCEP will work too, but IEEP is easier)
    3. The ability to view the information on this page:
      iesdp.gibberlings3.net/opcodes/bg2tob.htm
      You can download the entire site for offline viewing here:
      http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/downloads/iesdp.zip
    The basic instructions are
    1. Peruse the "Opcodes" list and make a list of the number for each effect the "free action" benefit should make the character immune to. If you want to add immunity to stun, you can add it to the list. Leave out the haste. Make a list of each code.
    2. Open Shadowkeeper and find the Flail of Ages +5 item, which is BLUN30.ITM. Export/Extract the item file. You can use Infinity Explorer or NearInfinity to do this.
    3. Start IEEP. Choose Throne of Bhaal and not Shadows of Amn.
    4. Then start ItemMaker.
    5. Load the file you just extracted into ItemMaker
    6. In the lower right corner is "equipping effects". Choose #7 "free action" from that menu.
    7. Click on the minus sign to the right of the pop-up menu to delete it.
    8. Now click on the plus sign.
    9. In the pop-up, choose "protection from opcode"
    10. ignore everything else and choose "click to edit parameters"
    11. In the box labeled "OpCode", enter in the first op-code from the list you compiled in step #1.
    12. Click OK, then OK again.2
    13. Repeat steps #8 through #12 for every op-code on your list.
    14. Click file->Save and save your changes.
    15. copy the file to the override folder of your Baldur's Gate II directory and test it out.
    That should do it.
    Congratulations, you've modded the game.
    Of course, we succeeded, only because we stood upon the shoulders of the giants who created IEEP, the IESDP, and Infinity Explorer or Shadowkeeper.
    Also of course the folks at Bioware who made Baldur's Gate.

==
    Give a man a mod, he plays for a day.
    Teach a man to mod, he plays for life.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    damedog, henkie and Blades of Vanatar like this.
  8. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I really did not like the monk haste nerf- it's the reason i've never used one in a full play-through. Why a monk should only have 3 attacks per round at best while my other warriors are sporting 6-7 with improved haste, and sometimes doing more damage per hit, is beyond me.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wow, thanks for the info.

I didn't mean to ask you to make the mod for me, more like idle wondering from my side.

But with this information I took a look at it. I'm not sure how to find what the free action does. Opcode 163 apparently gives the free action effect, but it doesn't say against which other opcodes it protects or how this is done.

Unfortunately the IEEP is giving me some kind of runtime error, complaining that component MSCOMCTL.OCX is one of its dependencies is not correctly registered.

Ah, just googled it, apparently it's related to some VB6 file that presumably is not present on my Win7 computer. Will have to read the explanation there a bit more carefully, then see how to fix/install it.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You need to install the TeamBG VB6 package to use most of their stuff.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/index.php#vb6
    http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=71
    (direct link)
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=IEM&f=IEmodding/VB6pkg.rar
    Also, a word of warning. When installing the VB6 package on Windows XP or later, you might get a prompt about a file already existing and being newer. DO NOT REPLACE IT in that case. Have it skip that file. The installer was meant for Windows 9X.

As for what you're looking for to make the mod, you're looking for all the effects that free action would normally protect your from.
    Grease, web, hold (I know from the undead hunter kit that there are three different hold codes), slow, entangle, etc.
    Go through the list, and if it's something the spell "free action" should make you immune to, write down the number.
    This is why I said it was tedious.
    Here's a description of "Free action"
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/priest4.php

---------- Added 0 hours, 23 minutes and 10 seconds later... ----------

I always thought the monk should have had the same THAC0 progression as a fighter and a D10.
    Kensais too should have had a d12 to make up for the lack of armor.

I need to learn to make a WeiDu installer so I can put together my own monk improvements package with this latest change as an option.
    I managed to give the monks the ability to detect illusions, but I don't have an installer for it.
    I also gave them a D10 for HP
    I also made sure they had a THAC0 identical to fighters.
    This is in addition to the tweak that lets monks cast cleric spells off scrolls like P&P thieves can cast arcane spells off scrolls.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the D12, I need to modify rather than replace 2DA files to be compatible with other mods.

11. henkie

Media:
    I thought the detect traps for monks could also detect illusions by default? Or was that in NWN?

THAC0 progression is not really so much of an issue, is it? My monks usually don't seem to miss that much.

Anyway, thanks for the extra info, I'll see what I can do. Tomorrow. I need to get up in about 7 hours already.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I was just commenting. I've actually implemented the fighter THAC0, detect illusion, and D12 (to make up for the lack of fighter CON bonus, or I'd make it D10) hit die changes to the monk. I just never got around to learning to make a WeiDU compatible installer.
    Something I may do in the near future if people actually want a mod to make these changes.
    I could give instructions on how to make them yourself, or give you the changed files, which may or may not be compatible with other mods as it wouldn't play nice with them.

13. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

The immunity to haste is actually a hold over from 1e. The BG2 monk is an odd mish mash of the 1e monk and the 3e monk. The monk having magic resistance is an idea from the 3e monk class as is daily uses of stunning fist. The immunity to haste and slow is one of the abilities from 1e.

Ooo a mod that would give monks detect illusion so I would not have to sue shadow keeper? That would be great (also better hp is great too though I would have just taken warrior con mod bonuses personally d8s are fine). THough I could have sworn that monks get fighter thac0 already...

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I need to make a WeiDU installer for that.
    If you e-mail me (just add gmail to my screen name), I can send you the required files, but they might not play nice with other mods. They won't play nice with any mods that change the monks.
    I'll see about learning it sometime this weekend or next week, but no promises.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.