1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk class

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Vulpecula Equuleus, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Vulpecula Equuleus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've played this game through with about every build possible except a Monk (just never appealed to me) I understand a Monk can use weapons available to thief class. Just asking for suggestions weapons, bracers, rings etc...

2. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, you shouldn't have to worry about weapons down the track due to stunning fist and ki strikes down the track.

As for what weapons etc, well. It all depends on what stats you're going to go in with and how high your str and dex will be.

What I'd recommend:

Weapons: Shortswords and maybe Longswords, I know some people will say Katana's, but really you won't use weapons for that long, there are some thief weapons you can't use, and they're two handed weapons.

Bracers: If you can get away with taking them away from your mage, get the Bracers of Armor AC3 when they come available AC4 are in Ribalds.

Rings:
    stage i - early on - Ring of Regen off Ribald if you can manage it, plus the Earth Elemental Control ring from D'Arnise.
    stage ii - replace ring of regen with ring of gaxxx

Helmet: Ioun stone that gives the ac bonus, you could take the thac0 but i've always been in favour if your pc is a front line, you want all the ac you can get.

Cloak: Non-Detection if you're going sneaking, but that will stay in your inventory, use cloak of the sewers.

Boots: Speed boots

Belt: well I guess the strength belt, there's a few of them

Overall, starting out, and not going on the ac bonuses the monk gets, if you go in with 18 dex:
    ac 10
    ac 4 - +6 ac from 18 dex
    ac 3 - bracers may only drop you one more (may well be a waste)
    ac 2 - ring of earth
    ac 1 - ring of gaxx
    ac 0 - ioun stone
    ac -1 - cloak of the sewers.

I don't think I've missed any more ac boosting eq, you could go for a thief weapon that grants an ac bonus, but I think your unarmed damage will end up doing more, perhaps.

But overall your ac should end up being phenomally high.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Couple of things. First, there's a neat ninja-to that you can buy from a bonus merchant that gives you an extra attack and that only monks can use. Thus, take that proficiency (I think it's scimitars).

Ultimately, you're not going to use anything but your hands.

Next, IIRC, speed boots are useless for a monk, as they are not effected by haste or slow. Plus, their natural speed increases as they level up.

18 dexterity only subtracts 4 from AC, not 6. IIRC, Ring of Gaxx is -2 to the AC. I wouldn't bother with bracers, because the monks natural AC continues to drop during the game.

The monk's stealth is fine in a solo game, but otherwise, it's a waste as you should have a thief, part thief or Ranger who's going to be farther ahead in that area.

If you're in a party, the monk isn't going to get the best goodies, because he is more than able to handle himself essentially naked. If it's a solo or small party game, then the monk will get those extra couple of things. I've solo'ed on through with no problem but boredom after the beginning couple of level-ups.

4. Jechor Gems: 4/31

Well, despite my errors, and it's been about 2-3 years since i've bothered with the ring of gaxx, i just knew it was one ac at least. Also given the number of ioun stones it doesnt hurt to give the monk the ac one. Really I still think boosting the monk up with all those ac points is worth it, the bracers down the track no I'll agree, hence I actually said that in my post, but short term bracers are a good idea, til his ac gets up, there is a point to them. Finally, well I've never wondered how fast a monk gets under 2nd ed rules, but if you dont give a monk boots, then I'd certainly give him something like boots of avoidance (vs missile attacks) cos if you use a monk to close in on melee fighters or even archers that little bit can help.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

A monk's AC keeps improving over levels. Once every 3 levels iirc.

If you wanna cheese, a monk with the right stats can wear Keldorn's armour. This is nerfed in the baldurdash fixpack.

Boots of speed wont do you much good. By the time you get them the monk must be moving fast enough anyway. Boots of Stealth, if he can wear those.

Cloak of the Sheild is better as your base AC goes down to 2. Try and get the improved CotS mod.

Gauntlets of Crushing are the best for a monk. Side with the Shaguin King.

You can always wear the Mask of King Strohm. Else go with the THAC0 improving one. Monks have the crappy CLeric's THAC0.

6. Jechor Gems: 4/31

I always thought cloak of the shield had to be cast and it had limited uses for it to have effect ? I've honestly never thought that or the shield amulet were very well explained, both seemed to me to suggest they had limited uses and charges, and only added to ac if you used them ?

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Yeah you are right. However, I always play with a mod available here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors2.php
    It makes the cloak actually useful. At any rate it has some 42 charges unmodded. more than enough for SoA.

8. Jechor Gems: 4/31

That's true, but I'm trying to stick to plain ol' vanilla with the official patch and a fixpack :) When I've done 99% of all the strongholds and had my fun with different classes, then I'll probably go on a downloading spree of all the mods that are worth it. I guess I'll just go off the modlist at pocketplane's site mentioned in Simpson's BG2 walkthrough :) I think the first mod I'll put on though will be unfinished business cos I want to know if certain buildings are connected the way I think they were meant to be *nod self*

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The boots of speed are, as stated above, effictively useless after level 9 because the Monk class gains immunity from Slow and HASTE spells - including the haste imparted from the boots. It doesn't really matter though as Monks gain increased movement rate with levels.

Armour (Firecam), Bracers etc. that give a set AC are efectively useless as Monks generally have a lower AC anyway.

I'm not sure but they may be able to wear robes - this would be a better option than the Armour.

The only reason why you would want to use a weapon is for its bonus' such as mirror immage, haste etc.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] For some reason, monks CAN use any WANDS! This is a huge power boost, as wands are over too powerfull, especially when you do solo. Summoning endless monsters, releasing nasty and cheesy cloudkills, pretty high damaging fireballs or cone of colds, lightning bolts!!! Plus you will beat badguys senseless too! YOU MUST HAVE THESE WANDS IF YOU WANT TO SOLO A MONK!
    Be sure to charge wands by selling it t o a shop and buy them back, they will have 100 charges! Ofcourse it will cost you a fortune, but if you have a thief stal wands, then they are 'fenced' and can not be sold back! (you can always sell them to shadow thieves or any other thiefly shopkeeper.)
    And NEVER EVER use a wand with 1 charge left, else it will be GONE for good!

One example: Are you sure monks THAC0 advance as priests? I thought they had fighter THAC0!
    SOMEBODY PLEASE CORRECT THİS!

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Monks' THAC0 is entirely different, IIRC. Atleast, there was a separate table for them in the manual.

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Monks use Cleric THAC0 progression. Separate, but the values were the same. :p
    Wands sold and bought again only have 50 charges, iirc.

13. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Monks seriously rules man!
    I mean a monk could simply dispatch a group of higher level foes with barely a sweat.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    That they do. Few other classes can withstand an onslaught of wizardry spells without any preparation, and no other class given 25 strength and only a choice of weaponry can match the damage of their fists.
    The reason I'm not so fond of them are their restrictions though.

15. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    IMO a high level monk is awesome, a low level one is a liability. It's a pity there is no monk NPC, I really don't relish the idea of charname being a monk (way too boring for me especially in SoA).

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

And you can't Improved Haste them!! That sucks.

The MR and stealth are nice bonuses though. Quivering Palm is great for sneaking up and attacking Firkraag with it.

Overall...I think you could do a lot better with any other single classed Fighter, however.

17. Misantrophe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Caradhras
    couldnt agree more. I cant think my char is a monk.
    child of bhaal and monk? doesnt sound right

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The Monk is great, but I find him/her too boring as they don't really use magic or weapons. I really wanted to like the Monk...

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Therein lies the rub. Monks - while eminently capable - are often dull to play because their list of immunities/resistances is just so comprehensive, turning many battles into a matter of waiting for stuff to die. Their MR, for example, is just obscene at high levels. That, and there's no real motivation to horde shiny ones, which is what Magpies do best... ;)

20. Misantrophe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

one more bad thing for monks imo, you dont use many equipments on them and i'm an equipment-buff, i love finding better ones and replacing them (or redistrubuting them among party members) and monks are usually left out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.