1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk Builds

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sylvan, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Is there such a thing as a good monk build :hmm:
    I have tried the sorcerer/monk multi, but it is too difficult to balance.
    I think what I am trying to say is, should a monk remain as a single classed character?

Thoughts?

2. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

In IWD2 a good monk is a pure monk.
    (You can also give 1 monk level to any character to have them get lots of freebees, including evasion, but that wouldn't be a monk.)

Try this out:
    Take any race you like, maximize DEX, then WIS. If you have any points left, put them in STR. Try to leave all other abilities at 10 or min 8.
    Use the Weimer "Ease Of Use" mod to have Weapon Finesse count for monk fists. And give your monk the Weapon Finesse feat as one of the first feats (you won't be able to do it when you create the character, do it when he gets to level 3).
    Don't wear any robe or armor whatsoever, and use your fists only.
    When you level up, put some points in STR for the extra damage if you like, and choose the Improved Critical feat later.
    You'll have very good attack bonuses and an excellent ac. Plus spell resistance, excellent saving throws and evasion.
    What else do you need? :D

PS: You'll have to protect him until he gets his weapon finesse feat. He can use a crossbow in the meantime.

[ December 12, 2002, 14:51: Message edited by: Quint ]

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm afraid I'll have to indulge in a little ***shameless self-promotion*** here.

I'll say the same that I've said in my IWD2 walkthrough.

If you do an even split between a Monk and another class, come 20th level, the Monk cannot:

1) strike for 1d20 damage

2) does not have Spell Resistance

3) only has +1 Ki strike

4) cannot use Quivering Palm

If you're going to throw a significant number of levels from another class into the mix, you have to ask yourself if there was a point to selecting Monk to begin with.

4. SCSI Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have a difficult time judging what is the Ultimate Monk Build Order, and I guess it all depends on your playing style.

Offensive Monk: Half-Orc, Pure.
    20 str - 18 dex - 16 con - 1 int - 18 wis - 1 cha.
    Level 1 AC 18, 11 HP level.

Defensive Monk: Svirfneblin, Pure.
    12 str - 20 dex - 18 con - 3 int - 20 wis - 1 cha.
    Level 1 AC 24, 12 HP level.

Balanced Monk: Svirfneblin, Pure.
    16 str - 18 dex - 16 con - 3 int - 20 wis - 1 cha.
    Level 1 AC 23, 11 HP level.

Svirfneblin get 4 AC vs all creatures and their spell resistance combined with the Monks own spell resistance is just to good to be true.
    Also they get +2 to all saving throws and are immune to sleep magic and all sorts of stuff,
    and when your Balanced Monk reaches level 20 you better change his description to Un-Balanced Monk.

If anyone has any suggestions or other thoughts about what is the Ultimate Monk lemme know.

Get one today!

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Just one thing, which goes for any character, in HoF mode your AC is almost completely irrelevant.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.