1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk Assassin!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Rubel, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

From a roleplaying perspective, I really like the idea of playing a Monk/Assassin. Perhaps a diplomat/spy, sniffing out secrets and disposing of troublesome enemies of the state.

I get the impression that Assasins in NWN are considered underpowered, though. Plus, it's always a bummer to slow down one's monk, since they get so many neat powers (I crave Diamond Soul!) So if I wanted to get a few levels of Assassin, how many do you folks think would be effective? 5 or so?

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Monk/Assassin...hmmm, I wonder if you can poison your hands?

Don't forget to be evil alignment.

I would say you should look at 2, 5 or 7 levels, depending on your style of play and which campaign you are playing. HoTU...you might be able to go with more levels of Assassin...the others would warrant you using fewer.

2 levels brings death attack (which I think is pretty limited on how it actually works) and uncanny dodge.

5 levels adds improved uncanny dodge

7 levels adds the ability to cast invisibility.

Personally, I would feel that you would get the most bang for you buck with just 2 levels...that way you would only need a character level of 22 to max out on your monk ;) .

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm not sure I see the monk tie-in from a roleplaying perspective. I'm not a fan of evil characters in general, have too much trouble roleplaying them, but I'd think what you're trying to roleplay would be better suited to a rogue/assassin or bard/assassin.

If you're looking for a good combination of monk and assassin though, you can't discount the combination of Improved Knockdown (monk 6) and sneak attacks which are automatic against prone opponents. In that case, I'd get to monk level 6-8 then add in assassin levels to taste, perhaps 5 or 7 to at least get the sneak attack protection. That will give you an extra 3 or 4d6 of damage for every blow that lands each time you knock your enemy down. Combine with flurry of blows.... Watch out! :eek:

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] The combination of a monk and an assassin-like class is quite common roleplaying wise. Well, perhaps not that common, but there are. Sort of Ninja with their alliegances belonging to the monastery. Solo monk assassins however are rarely seen not on a mission.
    However most assassin-monk characters have some type of Prestige Class that keeps advancing their monk abilities. Some of them may get switched for more appropriate sneaky attack abilities.
    Oh, such guys do operate more like a rogue would. Or even better, like a ninja would. Meaning as sneaky as possible, mission best acomplished with no victims besides the target.

Too bad there's nothing like that in NwN.
    Just to clarify the roleplaying aspect a bit. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.