1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk as a solo?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shadow Steele, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

[​IMG] How does everyone feel about the Monk as a solo character?

2. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

One of the better characters to solo with. The increased speed and unarmed hit are excellent. There is also a monk that killed a dragon with one or two hits I believe.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Love the monk for solo in SOA (I have issues elsewhere, but that's not for this forum). The initial weakness of a monk at low levels is taken out by starting with 89,000 exp. His natural speed bump frees his feet for things other than boots of speed, and his various increasing resistances help with certain battles (especially magic-heavy ones later on when he has increased resistances). I don't know what mods you're playing with, but assuming none and straight SOA, it should not be a very difficult solo.

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've been planning to solo a monk for months now but I haven't had the time to actually follow through on my intents. :(

I planned to buy that monk-only scimitar from Joluv because it sounds so special, plus the extra attack per round. And maybe dual it with belm or something. Which do you think is better? Just punch them out, single-wield one of those scimitars or dual-wield both?

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Just punch people to death...you'll have diffuculties in the beginning because Monks arn't that strong in the beginning, but they get tougher, believe me.

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I played a solo Monk through BG2:SoA without using any magic items. That means no potions, no scrolls etc.
    Solo Monk is so easy!

7. ivanatora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes may be it is easy.. But what is THE MOST difficult solo? I think that is the bard. Your opinion?

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Most diffucult? Hmm...it depends on playing style I think...but I'd say the Bard.

9. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Actually I solo'd a Blade quite a bit into the game before I quit. The Blade might be a special case - it's my only experience playing any kind of Bard - but it turned out surprisingly easy as far as soloing goes.

The bard - especially the Blade - is akin to a F/M, with the added bonus of picking pockets (when needed boost ability with potions).

For example, here is a comparison of where a F/M is when a Bard gets a higher level spell:
    - 160,000 xp
    Bard-10 (4th level spells)
    Fig-7/Mag-7 (4th level spells)

- 660,000 xp
    Bard-13 (5th level spells)
    Fig-9/Mag-10 (5th level spells)

- 1,320,000 xp
    Bard-16 (6th level spells)
    Fig-10/Mag-11 (5th level spells)
    As can be seen the Bard's magic skills is roughly equal to that of a F/M. The Bard is not as proficient in fighting, but even being able to be compared to a F/M without being outright dismissed is a sign of a good soloist.

There is a big difference in fighting skill between a Blade and a regular Bard, let's keep that in mind. :)

The weakest soloist is not easy to determine.
    Any kind of fighter or magic spellcaster is easy which leaves us with Thieves, Druids and Clerics.

A pure Thief lacks spells and punch, but can use the invisible/backstab routine and can also cheese it with multiple traps.

A Cleric is a decent fighter with some nice spells, so it looks good.

A Druid is weaker in combat than a cleric because of the more severe armor and weapon restrictions as well as having generally weaker spells.
    The Shapeshifter does get Greater Werewolf, but would still be my pick for weakest Druid kit.

[ November 13, 2002, 11:46: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

10. Dhirngulin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I actually did a duet with a sorcerer and a monk though as the game went on i realized i could have kicked ass only with the monk... On the issue of the hardest solo i'd say the beggining of kensai solo which i found quite annoying.

11. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

[​IMG] I've been soloing with my monk all the way thru SoA and ToB, and whupped some serious ******* ***!!!!!!!!!

:roll: :rolling: :spin: :roll: :rolling: :spin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.