1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monastery bug

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by NguyenGiaThai, Jun 13, 2012.

1. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There's a very annoying bug in Monastery.

Opposite of the library with the guy selling scrolls is the door lead to kitchen and the chief monk with Chimera's emissary. This door is bugged.

If you get through this door and move inside the area a bit too long, the door area become unbugged and no one can move through it.

1st time I meet it is after expose the emissary and he leave. He cant!
    2nd time onward is pretty replicable. Get in, solve the kitchen's cook quest, gather the loots, and the door is bugged.
    Save and Reload doesnt solve it.
    Way around it: You really must save outside or in the basement. prolly.

Anyone get this?

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

The only way I have seen this bug was when I tried to follow the emissary on his way out but was blocked by him right at the doorway. I couldn't get through after that.

Reload from another area was the only fix for me as well.

3. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31

That it is. It's not that he blocked you, but that he's blocked himself.

I had to go in very quickly, snatch the letter, expose the affair. Since I am quick enough, they both leave with no problem. Then I jumped down to the Chamber.

4. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31

I delayed the whole issue by taking on the 4 iron golems down there first. Damn things cost me several night to deal with.

The key tactic is the same as when fighting Battle Square:

Main combatant is your best, buffed to eyeballs. His job is to take out one golem by one and has enough endurance to stay alive. He change from his favourite Large Sword into the Ice Spear +4 just for the added hit bonus (+50%) of twohanded. He hit target one, two hits then run.

Mean while the two caster call for summons behind the invisible shield of companions. 3 is enough to entirely block the door, while those two stay far enough behind that golems doesnt see them and get aggressive. The summons drop in and attract the attention of the other golems, so that the combatant can just finish off one after another golems. They do fight back, but one on one golem is no match. 10 Spirit Essence helps, of course.

There's one poison cloud dropped near the invisible shield of companions. They lost a lot of health but luckily the enemies are finished off in time. They did stand their ground, without moving an inch.

The golems hit like a train, and their breath weapon of poison cloud doesnt spare anyone. The single Protection against Poison doesnt seem to work any.

All in all a good fight. My party is overleveled (13) due to BS, but that doesnt help much here. Each golem worth 2600XP, like a boss!!

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Impressive. I had trouble with them too, but decided to leave them be and do the Underdark quests first. Later I had leveled, and acquired the Mass Haste buff. Buffed to the eyeballs, it was surprisingly easy actually:
    link

6. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31

No wonder. My buffed up combatant is only level 13. When he's stupid enough to let them surround, he died in two rounds. One on one it's doable, provided the summons attract enemies' notice.

With 30AC, Insane diff., no wonder he hit so few when he tried his sword or axe. Only the twohanded spear is enough to hit them half of the time.

Anyway, now is the time to clean up the monastery and then the Duegar complex.

7. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If I remember correctly, I used the nearby doorway to my advantage, to position my party in such a way that it would only have to fight one of the golems at a time (because the others can't get throught the door while the first one is blocking it).

To start it off, a single (hasted, and AC spell protected) character looted the chest and ran back quickly to the others before the golems got there.

As a general rule, in my experience all golem battles in the game can be made much easier by:
    • casting Stoneskin, Barkskin and Haste on as many team members as possible beforehand. Also cast whole-party buff spells such as Emotion: Hope and Bless.
    • summoning Zombie Lords[1] using the Summon Undead cleric spell. They give blunt damage, while having good blunt damage protection themselves.
    • letting your archer use Impact Arrows +1 (I didn't find too many of those in the game, so I saved them and only ever used them against Golems)
    • using crammed spaces (especially doorways) and hit & run maneuvers to ensure that the golem focuses his attacks your toughest character (or on a summoned zombie). Once the golem has decided who to target, the rest of the party can join in on the attack.

----------
    [1] If you get a Boneguard instead, just reload.

8. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

All you need against the normal mode golems is an Armor Class of 36 or better. IIRC 39 for the Iron variant, not sure. That removes their ability to actually hit you on anything but a natural roll of 20, and never being able to crit you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.