1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Module construction tutorial

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Z-Layrex, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] What do you all think of Bioware's module construction tutorial. I think it's brilliant. When I first tried out the toolset I found it overwhelming, but now i'm doing this tutorial, I am finding how brilliant the toolset actually is. It takes you along at your own pace, explaining every little detail. Until eventually you have a basic module! It is very time consuming, but it's worth it.

It can be downloaded here btw.

[ September 26, 2002, 20:40: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yes, that's the one I thought you were talking about. Yes, it really is very good. It goes a long way to explain some of the no so necessarily obvious things, such as encounters, merchants, and basic conversation, along with some dialog scripting. I'd recommend it for anyone who's interested in making something with the toolset, because it answers most simple questions. It's actually quite good, and nwvault has a flash version to go along with it. However, while it's good at showing how to use most of the toolset, it does a very very poor job of trying to show NWScript off, though I will say I learned how script using the conversations script wizard. That it did pretty well. But it's scripting portion is pretty useless, which is pretty sad considering it's the only official toolset help Bioware has officially released (guessing that the world builders guide was put out by a third party, besides which, $20 extra isn't acceptable just to make up for their poor documentation). However, if annyone wants to learn scripting, Celowin's tutorials on the Neverwinter Lexicon's Lyceum section (also in downloadable form from Sorcerer's Place...check in out!) are the best and simplest way to learn about how the basics of NWScript work. After that, it's all about combining the right functions, but you will at least know the basics after going through the first few of the tutorials. Once you know the basics, Sorcerer's has some excellent documentation downloadable about the various functions.

EDIT: BTW, just a tip that I found out after doing the tutorial. I had problems with my non hostile encounters spawning, and it was driving me up the wall. Turns out, if you set the encounter faction to anything but hostile, it won't spawn. Why that's even an option then, I have no idea. And it isn't a well documented problem either, so for anyone who's interested: always keep encounter faction set at hostile, regardless of the factions of those spawned by it.

[ September 28, 2002, 06:54: Message edited by: Crawl ]

3. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I love the toolset it is the best editor i have ever used. the design is simplistic. the coding is practically object orientated which means it is easy to make scripts in. ahh the wonders of the toolset are amazing

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.