1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mods/Tweaks/ect. recommended for first run through requested

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Klorox, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

What should I download and install when playing this game for the first time?

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    First of all, make sure you have the patch. (If you have the 2 CD version, than your game is already patched and you don't need to worry about this.)You will definitely want to install the fanmade fixpack. I would also reccomend you install the Restoration pack, which is hosted at SP. The easter egg Morte and Leprechaun Annah mods are fun for a laugh, but I wouldn't install them if this is your first time playing through. I would also install the torment tweak pack, which is hosted at G3. Don't install the max hitpoints at each level up component for the time being. (It has a bug that needs fixing) The Tweak Pack is well worth downloading for the other components, though. If you don't know where to find some of these, links to everything I've mentioned can be found at the infinity engine mod listing.

3. Klorox

Thanks! I hope this all goes well! :)

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

while the 2CD version is patched, there's a bug. towards the end you wont be able to get into the mortuary.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/647.html

One of my posts (towards the end) lists a bunch of mods that technically should work if installed in that order.

Platter's fixpack is pretty good since it makes the game almost completely bug-free. However, compatibility with the Restoration Pack has not been fully investigated yet (I'll get to it sometime - honest!)

For a first time, I'd say to go for the Restoration Pack only (you could try and add the Fixpack too if you're feeling adventurous), since others (such as the Armor mod) do change the game's balance.

6. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

In my 2-CD version you can't ever get into the mortuary, at least not through the door. But the other way always works.

7. Klorox

I hope it's not a way I'll have to cheat into. Is this "mortuary" essential to the game, or is a 2CD game broken?

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Possible spoilers:

You'll need to get into the Mortuary towards the end but there is a way of getting in, even if you can't get in through the front door.

9. Klorox

As long as it's a way for me that can be figured out, I should have no problem.

Thanks, and that is about the limit of spoiler I want. No more! :)

10. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I wouldn't use the Restoration pack on a first run-through. It would be more fun to use it on a later game, 'cos then you'll see what it actually does. The fixpack I recommend right from the start.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I wouldn't recommend the G3 Tweak Pack for a first run either. Inventory management isn't so bad in this game (nothing like BG1 anyway). And I think the "explored areas" component could spoil some of the pleasure - being TNO you are not supposed to know the city anyway. It is far more enjoyable to explore it slowly and let some of its wonders be revealed bit by bit. About the only component I would install from the Tweak Pack is the "Max HP on level up", and that's 2DA files that you can get without using the Tweak Pack (that way you can avoid the bug Drew mentions. You can get the 2DA easily - it's exactly the same files you use for BG1)

12. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

@Klorox: Don't worry -- the other way is not a cheat.

13. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    These mods will work just fine together. I've used them all. The tweaks in the G3 mod are few, but pretty worthwhile, even for the first time through. A lot of the restorations behave more like bug fixes imho.
    Regarding the mortuary entry bug.....SPOILER

you can bypass the bug by having the mentally challenged collector hanging around outside the mortuary kill you. If your level is high enough, he won't even have to kill you. You can just fake your own death.

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just got the game, 4 cds, so I need the patch, right?
    Ok, can I copy the cds to the game folder and edit torment.ini so I wouldn't need to use the cds? (just like in Baldur's)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Yes, you should install the official patch available from:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_misc.php

Platter's fixpack is also recommended, click the first link here:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_editors.php

And yes, you can do a full install by copying disks 2-4 to the harddisk and editing Torment.ini. You'll still need to have disk 2 in the CD drive while playing, so the program can check that you have a legal version, but it's still more effective to have the files on harddisk if you can spare the space.

Edited to add: Thanks Taluntain, that was the link I couldn't find! :)

17. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Thanks guys; I already downloaded patch and all the stuff I found here :D
    Is just wanted to know the cd stuff but I couldn't find something like the link Tal provide us.
    Thanks!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.