1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mod creation.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by NaeVa, Feb 10, 2004.

1. NaeVa Banned

[​IMG] I am in the beginning stages of creating a mod, based on a new NPC, a female half-dragon. Since I am inexperienced in scripting (But not in area/item/creature creation), I am asking for help. Anyone who can use WeiDu, NI, ISE, or such is welcome to PM me with the heading "Scripting." If you are interested in doing some voice dialog, PM me with the heading "Voice." Also, our very own 8people/Octara has agreed to do the voice dialog for the NPC. And yes, there is a romance. I will do some scripting, but I'll mostly be concentrating on layout and creation. Most likely, the mod will be over 75MB when finished. Some teasers are below. Let me know if you are interested.

Features:

Lots of dialog and player interactions. (A lot of dialog voiced by our very own Octara.)

7 Minor Quests.
    5 Major Quests.
    1 MEGA Quest

10+ New Dungeons
    1 New City

Many new items and spells.

Many new monsters.

Many new stores, creatures, and bosses.

More to come as I add to this list.

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ah :D That will not be easy but good luck.

3. NaeVa Banned

Thanks. Any chance of you helping?

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have had 1 day off work in the last 3 weeks and lot's of other stuff to do and besides that I know nothing about code and things like that ;)

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

That is going to be a huge project. It will be not easy because it covers a very wide area of modding (e.g. area editing - at least 3 file types) IESDP can help you a lot. Check TeamBG for tools and you may find tutorials there too. Many links for tools can be found in SP too. Study already existing scripts, you might learn a lot from that too.
    As I said, this will take a very large amount of time and energy. Good luck, Va!

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wouldn't you be better off starting with a smaller mod? I remember downloading some modding tools once and figuring I'd write a mod that would add several dozens area, items, quests, etc, etc, to the game. But I got so disheartened by how long it would all take that I lost interest and just gave up.

If I'd started a more modest project - one new area maybe, with a couple of extra items and a quest or two - I might have got it finished.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'll be halping with the actual NPC, but other than that I might not be as helpful.

I think perhaps splitting it into Two mods may be better - not many people would appreciate downloading a 75MB mod

And if it gets big I won't be able to help because I still have dial up.

8. Baronius

Good idea. You can do the following too: create the mod in lesser parts, "portions" which can be played alone, so you can test it (e.g. you place your first creatures and test your scripts on an already existing area, so you do not have to create a new area yet). If you work on it for months, and then try to test it, it may be so buggy and/or its parts will be inconsistent that you will have to spend a lot of time to fix these problems.

The suggestion of Octara is very good. Although you do not have to split the mod in developer stage: while creating the compressed file, you could use the split option (split to volumes) of your archiver (WinRAR is the best in my opinion, it can certainly make .zip). This will create files of a size specified by you. Disadvantage: to install and play with the mod, the user has to download all volumes.
    Download managers are good for big files, by the way, with their effective resume options.

[ February 11, 2004, 22:08: Message edited by: Baronius ]

9. NaeVa Banned

[​IMG] I am breaking it down into sections already. However, I do realize the complexity of this mod. That's why I need scripters!

Any help is appreciated.

10. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I'm a scripter, and i might help.

I still say you're taking a impossible task. (Me then, translating all BG2 to finnish... :p )

[ February 12, 2004, 17:18: Message edited by: Taza ]

11. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

How are you planning on doing that? Are you taking original monsters and re naming them/giving them new stats. Or creating new avatars? As far as I know making a new avatar for a monster is neigh on impossible.

12. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

^^ Making the avatars is quite difficult, but it's finding an open animation slot for them that's near impossible. There are a hardcoded number of slots, and each one is predefined to some degree. I had a very hard time getting my silver werewolf animation into the game.

13. Baronius

You can create quasi-new good-looking creatures by using the already existing avatars, as someone told in one of the posts above. Beside the renaming, you can also change their colors, I suppose you have already known this. Although color changes won't apply in case of certain creatures, where the .bam file already defines the colors (example: Fire Giant), thus Major, Minor, Hair etc. Color changes cannot be seen.

14. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

How many free slots for character animation are there left? It's not something I've looked into but if I was going to get a mod done (about 0.001% chance of this actually happening) it'd be handy knowing how many extra animations I could add.

15. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Wooohooo. What a task... It's extremely difficutl task Va and I wish ya good luck. From the impression I get, you're planning to make some sort of unofficial expansion of the Throne... Tough task and I wish you good luck to achieve it.

From the impression I get, that Black Isle put in the character of Sherinkal in Icewind Dale 2, your hald-dragon should be proud, near arrogant creature. A sibling of the mating of human and dragon, which is one of the most powerful races in Faerun. Although she should be tormented by her half-heritage and not-belonging in neither the two races. Recommend alignment I propose - Neutral Evil with a chance of alignment change like Viconia, but to go further. That's what I think... A arrogant, haughty and superior creature, whom would be shown the real meaning of life by our protagonist (if good) or continuing the hatred toward humanity of everything to Lawful Evil (if evil)...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.