1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mod compatibility problem

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I wanted to play through SoA and ToB with all 3 official romances + 2 mod romances. All at the same time (poor char, really ;) )
    Also, i downloaded lots of mods, which turned out to be all WEIDU, which are normaly compatible with each other. There was one non-weidu, but there was only one file in it, so i suppose it might only include one item.

I installed them all as it's supposed to be AFAIK.
    1: Official patch

2:Baldurdash

3:non-WEIDU mod (i dont know the exact name but the file is soul.zip and inside is the readme with the following:"This file contains an override for
    baldur.bcs. If there is a file
    called baldur.bcs in your override
    folder already it will be replaced so
    make a backup copy if you wish to keep it.

Use the Infinity Engine Editor from
    www.teambg.com to import soul.iap

Then go in the crypt behind Sethle in
    the graveyard to start the quest."
    I didnt back the file up ( :( ) and didnt import soul.iap since i currently dont have IEEP and teambg site isnt operational. It might be awailable somewhere else, but i didnt make a search for it at the time.)

4: WEIDU mods
    Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.17.exe
    AzenMODv2.zip
    BanterPacksV5.zip
    battles-v6-part.exe
    bg2fmthla.zip (F/M/T HLA modification to be mage friendly by Taza :) )
    CespyAudioV1.zip
    DarkRitual_101.rar
    eeweiduv1.0.1.zip (unistalled it when i realised it's not upgrading SoA storyline, but rather changing it completely.)
    G3Tweaks-v4.exe
    gbthfkpv-2-8.zip (expanded thief stronghold)
    hell-214.zip (Hell test and rewards revised for Neutral characters)
    Kz14.zip (Kiara&Zaiya mod NPCs)
    NPCFlirtV101.exe
    PlanarSphere_Return_v2 Weidu.rar (added two teleportation spells, one to reach the Sphere other to return)
    PnPCelestials-v2.exe
    spitems.exe (Sorcerer's Place items, had to see what you came up with ;) )
    tashia205g.zip
    Virtue.exe
    Weimer-Ease-v28.exe
    Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v32.exe
    Weimer-TacticsMod-v21.exe

5: IIRC it makes Tashia romance run along with all the other ones
    thappy205.zip

6: Removes all romance limitations (i suppose HappyTashia isnt needed, so i unistalled it, doesnt change anything)
    BG2TOBConcurrentRomances.zip

Unfinished buisness is also installed, it might be in one of these mods already, dont know.

So, this is all i got installed now. AFAIK it "should" work along fine, but it doesnt want to start a new game. Before it even starts loading the game (doesnt even show the bar) it dumps me to desktop, BGII SoA minimized with big black screen on top-left corner. Program not responding when i close it.
    When i had all these mods installed along with Epic endaveurs i started a new game, worked fine. Then i unistalled EE and couldnt start again without it. I can still load the EE game but of course there are no dialogs&area is practicaly erased of what it should be in a normal game so i cant continue.
    I have some old save games made prior to any of the mods installed, but of course these dont work.

The ultimate solution is to unistall everything that has anything to do with BG and do a clean install and start a new game with every new mod installed to find out what is messing things up. But that's a lot of work and i'm lazy ( :p ), so i'll rather keep that as a last resort.
    In the meanwhile, there are plenty people here who play with mods, so i thought perhaps someone would know what's causing it all. If not, it's still useful for anyone who might have the same problem.

btw, where did Comprehensice ToB mod list go?

2. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Probably either the Epic Endeavour mod or the Concurrent Romances mod is the cause here, so uninstall them (or even better, reinstall the game and install everything else except them), that should solve the problem.

Though next time you should backup the unmodded override folder first, that way if you mess up thing, you can just delete your modded folder, copy the old one over, reinstall the patch, delete the Weidu.txt (?) file, that should restore the game to its unmodded state, without having to install it again. This can save a lot of time.

Hope this help

3. Gothmog

Aye, i'll know better when i mess around with the gazzilion mods out there ;)

I unistalled both EE and Concurrent romances, though, and it doesnt change anything.

I forgot to mention this before, it might be pretty important, but sometimes when i unistall a mod component it goes though ALL WEIDU mod components i have installed! First it unistalls everything and then it installs it back, except for the component i wanted removed. It doesnt happen with every mod though, only most of them.

Also, considering the loading time in which it crashes might be a hint as to what is wrong. I dont know when it's loading which things, but perhaps someone would know what's loading at the complete beggining?

4. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It loads the baldur.bcs, the first area's data (bcs, are, area map, etc), all system file (2DA, IDS, etc), I think that's all. Maybe the Azenguard mod caused it?

That's normal of WeiDU mod, though it may encounter problems sometimes (like not being able to remove all components of the uninstalled mod before installing the new one), so beware when you are using multiple mods.

5. Gothmog

Ah, this sheds more light to it all. Epic Endeavours changed the first area significantly, so there's one option to check. Baldur.bcs was also messed around with because of the soul.zip, the non-WEIDU mod. I'll also unistall Azenguard mod for good measure :)

Right. I didnt find anything to do with Epic Endeavours anymore, so dungeon area should be fine. Unistalled Azenguard, though it only showed the first component, no idea why, cause it says in the readme there are two of them. Didnt do anything with baldur.bcs couse i dont think i could do anything to it directly. Doesnt matter, tough... because it's working now!

Yay! :grin: :1eye:
    Must've been the Azenguard, like you said. Thanks much, much GI :thumb:

[ August 12, 2004, 11:29: Message edited by: Gothmog• ]

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I had the same problem and it was solved when I uninstalled the Azenguard mod.

7. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

@Gothmog
    For the WeiDU mods and re-installation, WeiDU keeps track of installation order and uses an onion layer approach.

For example, you install mods A, B, C, and D in that order. Later, you want to uninstall mod B. WeiDU will uninstall mod D, uninstall C, uninstall B, install C, and install D to preserve the installation order of your mods. That's why you're seeing mass installs/uninstalls when you change a component or two in your game.

8. Gothmog

hmm, very interesting... Why does it need layers though?
    I know just about nothing about it all, but i havent heard there should be a particiular order in which to install WeiDU mods, unless one upgrades the previous, but in this case it'd be included in the first mod anyway.
    It is nice to have such a map, though, i imagine WeiDU is like a spider web, linking pieces together.

9. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

The biggest reason why WeiDU handles install order and re-installs in this fashion is for compatibility.

For example, let's say you install a pair of NPCs, Bob and Fred, in that order. Fred is coded so that if Bob is present, it adds triggers for a banter with Bob and comments on a few items. If you later uninstall Bob without reinstalling Fred, then Fred has a whole bunch of broken dialogue and script files that point to Bob's content, which in turn can break your game.

If instead WeiDU reinstalls Fred while uninstalling Bob, then Fred no longer detects Bob and does not install Bob-specific content. You end up without a broken game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.