1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

MLB Playoffs

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, they start this week. While I do not think there is a clear cut favorite in the AL, I think the favorite in the NL (and to win the WS for that matter) are the Phillies. Pitching usually wins in the post-season, and there is no one besides the Phillies that can trot out three top-notch starting pitchers. Arguably, they have three pitchers that could be the ace of just about any team in the league. I don't think anyone in the NL matches up well with them, and in the AL, their eventual opponent doesn't have three quality starters to put out there. The Rays, Rangers, and Yankees have one very good pitcher in Price, Lee, and Sabbathia, respectively, but no one really impressive beyond that. The Twins have three good, but no great pitchers. It's the Phillies Championship to lose at this point.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    No love for this topic. Where the hell is Blades? That was a historic win by the Phillies last night! As I said, I thought they have the best pitching staff in the league, but it's not like you expect a no-hitter. From a pitching perspective, it was the second most impressive performance in postseason history. The only thing that comes ahaed of it is Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series. But most people alive today weren't born yet when that happened.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Errr, when you play against a triple-A team, you would expect a win. Admittedly, Halladay pitched really well, but the Reds are not a playoff team. They play in the worst division in baseball and have a losing record against every half-decent team out there.

They hit, what, four balls out of the infield? They did nothing to break up Halladay's rhythm and basically could be described as lambs led to the slaughter.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I completely agree that the Reds are the worst team in the playoffs, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them Triple A. That's a distinction reserved to teams like the Pirates, Royals, and Orioles - teams that perennially lose 100 games a year and haven't been competitive in a long time. You are also correct that the Reds have a losing record against all three of the other playoff teams, as well as the Padres and Cardinals - second place finishers in their respective divisions.

Still, it's the second no-hitter thrown in baseball history (the first is technically a perfect game, but all perfect games are necessarily no-hitters as well). So yes, you would definitely expect the Phillies to win. In fact, I'd be surprised if Reds win a single game in this series. But you wouldn't expect a no-hitter. I view the no-hitter as the historic part - not the Philles beating the Reds as historic.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Oh, I get it. I just think that the "specialness" of a post-season no hitter is significantly watered down since Larsen's. A - two extra levels of playoffs since then with the league championship series thing coming into existence in the '60's and then the more recent split into divisional series with the wild card. B - Add to that expansion and the watering down of talent (along with U.S. minorty flight into other sports) and you get a much greater likelihood that a post-season team can be bad.

In '56, the American League team with the most wins played the National League team with the most wins, and you knew that those teams were damned good. Here, not so much.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That part I can agree with. In '56, the post season was just the World Series, and yes, there were only about half as many teams then. So I agree that for it to match up with Larsen, it would have be in the WS - that's why I called it second best. Still, even with all the extra games and teams added, it still must count for something that a post-season no-hitter hasn't been seen in the last 54 years. If it's so much easier now, why didn't we see some when they added the LCS in '68? Or the Wild card teams in '92?

7. dmc

Media:
    Again, I think it's something special. I just don't think its going to be another 54 years before it happens again.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG]

Sorry dude, too busy watching BASEBALL BABY! How about my boy ROY! :cool:

9. dmc

Media:
    Seems the NL is either anemic, pitcher dominant or both. Lincecum pitched really well, but Lowe was no slouch either.

10. dmc

Media:
    Well now, the Reds are up 4-0 over Oswalt in the 5th. Maybe this series will be interesting after all . . .

11. dmc

Media:
    . . . seems that they really are a triple A team. Errors like that are just absurd. Bah.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I don't expect the Philles to be challenged before the WS. The Reds got swept - which is pretty much what I expected would happen. The Reds basically lost one game through self-inflicted wounds, but the Phillies were clearly the better team. I wouldn't think any less of the Phillies if the series had gone to a 4th game. I was greatly underwhelmed by that Cuban defector with the 100+ mph fastball as well. He got hammered.

I was impressed with Lincecum as well. I have not watched the Giants much this year, because they're a West Coast team, and they play a lot of their games when I'm asleep. But that's a nasty pitch he's got there. The batters look really silly trying to hit it. It looks like it's going to be a strike, and it drops so suddenly, it sometimes bounces before it reaches the catcher. Unfortunately, he cannot pitch every game, which is why I don't like their chances against the Phillies.

If there is one team that can beat the Phillies in the AL, I think it's the Yankees. Of the Rays, Rangers, and Yankees, they each have on pitcher on the staff that can compete with anyone in the Phillies rotation. Price, Lee, and Sabbathia are all legitimate aces, and all of them can hang with Halliday. But after that, there's nothing in any of the three rotations where the Phillies wouldn't have the better pitcher on the mound. That means I have to pick the team with the best lineup, which when you consider top to bottom, is the Yankees. I don't think the Yankees have the single best individual hitter on their team (they have no real MVP candidates) but their 1-9 is very solid. With the exception of Jeter and Gardener, everyone is a home run threat.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    So much for my prognistication skills. The Phillies are on the brink of elimination. I didn't expect them to lose 3 games all postseason - never mind in one series. I'd be catatonic at this point if I were a Phillies fan. I really thought this was their year. They certainly could come back, but they still have to beat Lincecum.

I find the Rangers beating the Yankees (currently 3-2) far less surprising. Both of those teams have one good pitcher, and both of those teams have high scoring offensives. So those teams aren't going to be playing games that end 3-2. The Yankees offense just hasn't showed up much this series. They won the two games when they scored 6 or more, and lost the three games when they scored 3 or less (including a shutout). Three runs is typically not going to cut it against the Rangers.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, Lincecum is out of the way, except for a possible releif spotting in game 7, if Oswalt can get them there. The Giants haven't been able to hit him this year in his starts, so here's to hoping !:beer:

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    How does that brewski taste with teardrops in it Blades? The only people more dissapointed than the fans of the Phillies and Yankees are the networks. You know the networks wanted those two teams for the ratings bonanza they got last year. The Giants aren't terrible for ratings, but the Rangers are absolutely the worst draw they could have received out of the AL.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Who would have thought that a game in which the starting pitchers were Lee and Lincecum that there would be 18 combined runs scored?

17. Blades of Vanatar

It sucks the big one. This really looked like the Phils year to win it all again. If they did, you would defintely start hearing the "Dynasty" term in Philly sportstalk radio. Oh well, here's to next year! :beer:

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    While this probably won't make you feel any better, the Giants have a better pitching staff than anyone predicted. The Rangers were the second highest scoring team in the league this year, and the Giants pitching rotation has shut them down. I predicted that the Phillies would win it all because they had the best pitching staff. But the Giants' staff has been crazy-good in the post season.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.