1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mixed signals

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been single for about a year and a half now. Although I'm not really looking for a new man I have found myself appreciating some aspects of the opposite sex again. I enjoy flirting but I hate the frustration of trying to figure out what is going on in the other persons mind.

I started a new job two months ago. Since working there I've found the bulk of my co-workers to be friendly and have I no problem making casual conversation and joking with them. I've also gotten some "interested" signals from a number of male co-workers. But there is one co-worker that I find myself very attracted to and I can't tell if he's interested or scared of me. The few conversations I've had with him have been awkward and whenever he's around my vicinity he seems to look away quickly when I catch him looking at me.

My gut tells me that there is a mutual attraction but I'm getting mixed signals. I'm not really sure what to do about it so I thought I'd put it here and see what your opinions are :p.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mixed signals?! I thought I had finally gotten you into electronics and here it's about dating.... Hmph! :)

Sounds like the guy is shy. Maybe he just needs to warm up to you :)

Dice likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ask him out. The worst thing he'll say is no. It's not like he'll bite your head off or turn you in to HR for asking him if he wants to get a cup of coffee after work.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Does he have an interest or hobby? If so, starting a conversation about a topic he is passionate about can help him loosen up a bit, especially if he is a bit shy. Try something like "wow, this windy weather must be tough on your racing pigeons. How do you train them to not get blown off course?"

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Huh, seems the opposition suffers such trivial gender things too.

Quite funny. :)

But on a more serious note, if he doesn't get more at ease around you anytime soon so you guys can feel less awkward around each other, then I suggest you corner him.

-As in 'You dig me?'

( ) yes / ( ) No

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks Darion.... ;) Now I got Paradise by the Dashboard light stuck in my head! "What's it gonna be, boy?!"

Wait... Where did you get the idea that I'm your co-worker? :confused: :p

What kind of mixed signals do you get. Dice?

Btw, it's the other female co-worker he's scared of. The elderly woman with the Dutch lineage. He's either impressed, charmed or self-consciously attracted to you. (I wanted to say that no man would be scared of a person with your height ;) , but that would be grossly underestimating you; I hear you made purses out of gators when you were really young. :p)

You could ask him out, but because the conversations have been awkward, I'd say you wait until Harbs suggestion bears some fruit.
    And try to smile at him before he looks away.

Dice likes this.
  7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    As a rule, I've always stayed really far away from workplace romance. That could be a part of the mixed signal you are getting.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmph! Take it where you can get it I say. I mean romance, get your mind out of the gutter...:p

Bladezuez likes this.
  9. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Exactly Blades, a good shag in the back room is always the way to go! :thumb:

Then pretend to be interested in the answer. ;)

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mrs. Snook probably appreciates that fact. (Or at least you better hope she does!) :p

But yeah, those situations can have anwkward results, particularly if the relationship ends badly.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That was always my thought. When I was in high school and college I didn't care as they were all part time jobs (and everyone was screwing anyway).

As an adult with a real job I equate it with *****ing where you sleep. Even animals don't do that.

12. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Maybe this whole dilemma isn't that deep or philosophical as we automatically assume.
    Over-analyzing won't get us nowhere. :)

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Flash him.

If he stares (and possibly drools) he's interested -- go for it (if you can handle the whole office romance thing).

If he looks awkward or embarrassed he's just not wired that way (not saying anything is wrong with that) -- move on.

If you're approached by human resources and shown the door then realize it was not meant to be.

Darion and Blades of Vanatar like this.
  14. Darion

Media:
    Not to Rain on Bruno's optimistic Parade...but in a Workplace setting this could be considered 50 shades of sexual harassment.
    And Dice is risking being labeled something she may not approve of.

But I'm gonna Like his post simply because of its proactive nature and nice warm mental image it evokes.

:)

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Dice - I will generally agree with those above who indicate that workplace romance is a bad idea. That being said, if your employer does not have a policy against it and your job is such that it would not bother you tremendously to lose it, then I tend to think that the guy is, in fact, into you and either shy or otherwise not used to expressing those feelings.

The big tip-off is the bit about looking away quickly when you see him looking at you. That's usually a dead giveaway that a guy is interested. (The ultra-confident ones don't look away at all, and instead try to use that to move on in, but this guy is obviously not ultra-confident.)

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, the general problems with workplace romances aside, I think he's shy for the reason dmc points out. Plus the awkward conversations could mean that he wants to talk to you, but isn't sure how to break the ice. Harbs' idea is a good one.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What a bunch of weaners. What is wrong with workplace romances? At least half of the happily married people I know (including me) met and linked up with their spouses at work. It's got to be worth the risk. If it doesn't work out, there's always the option of being mature and grown up and professional about it.

Drew likes this.
  18. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    lol WOW ... I wasn't expecting this much feedback :p

@ dmc, and the rest of my friends here who mentioned the workplace thing. When I first started we had an orientation that included a 30 minute "movie" about the history and workings of the company I'm working for. Its a very large family owned business, and in one section of the film they discussed how a number of employees have met their significant others there :p There is even a married couple working in different departments and their 13 year old daughter is working in my dept for the summer. There are no policies against it.

I actually did sort of attempt to talk to him twice today. I was walking through the store and he was coming from the other direction so I said "Hey" to which he replied "Hey hows it going..."

Then near the end of my shift (I work in the warehouse section of a large sports store) he walked through the back. Most of my co-workers leave half an hour before me so I was alone there. He rapidly walked through scrutinizing the boxes and so when I asked him by name what what he was looking for, he said "Nothing, I'm just seeing what is here for my department" He sounded very formal and serious when he said it.

Also, I didn't mention that I'm a few years older than him. The age difference doesn't particularly bother me though :p.

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did you try that trick yet where you lick your finger, stroke his shirt with it and suggesting to get those wet clothes off?

If he sounds formal and looks away quickly, he's probably a crook thinking you're an undercover cop! :p Make sure you do something sneaky! :D

Gaear likes this.
  20. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    :lol:

I'm a fan of dropping an innocent f-bomb and seeing how the target responds to it. If they get all trembly, you're probably good. (This works best for women on men though ... it may sound creepy coming from a guy.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.