1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

missed a quest in Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by schwartr, Dec 1, 2008.

1. schwartr Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

When I walked near the merchant league in Baldurs gate, I was approached by someone (I forget his name) who wanted help finding out why his partners were acting odd. I first met him in the woods where I saved him from shadow druids. Anyway, he asked for help and asked for me to follow him. I followed him to the building but did not enter. I finished exploring the area then returned to the merchant league only to find it is locked with no way to unlock it.

Is there anyway to get the quest back or did I just miss it completely?

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Aldreth Sashenstar...

If you helped him in the Cloakwood (you always should even if your evil-the rewards are much better XP and items and future quest. The help the druids give you is useless and even hurts since you'll get less XP going throuhg the forest with their help).

My notes:

Merchant League Quest:

That's a big building near the center south of the City right?

I think you can get in and ask Brandilar for the quest if you meet Aldreth Sashenstar in the city and speak to him.

Try reloading if you can.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Not necessarily. If you like using crossbows then it would be most worthwhile to side with the druids...

4. Aces Gems: 19/31

Make sure you kill the druids before they leave.

Or doesn't that work?

What's the crossbow you get for helping them?

I've never use a crossbow character so I didn't keep that info in the notes.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Aldeth's brother attempts to exact revenge in Baldur's Gate if you side with the druids. It is his crossbow that TBA is talking about (IIRC).

6. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

It is indeed. The crossbow of accuracy is a good weapon to crack of a shot with before engaging in melee.

7. Aces Gems: 19/31

Hmm...

I was aware of this but never followed through that far.
    So he does have a good crossbow eh?

Somebody got some stats on it?
    Is there another in the game?

I'll have to consider that if I ever make a PC that uses X-bows.

Do any of the NPCs use X-bows?
    I haven't used one yet in three games.
    Two good one evil. It's been slings and bows so far but have only use about half the NPCs.

8. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I don't blame you for not using the crossbows. Besides the normal and +1 varieties, there are only two others. One being the already mentioned "Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy", and the second being the "Light Crossbow of Speed".

The "Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy" gives you +5 THAC0 and the +2 damage you'd normally get with a heavy crossbow. The "Light Crossbow of Speed" gives you +1 THAC0 and an extra attack per round. As for who'll be using them? Anybody who's not a Cleric, Druid, or Mage with proficiencies in Missile Weapons is a good candidate.

9. Aces Gems: 19/31

Wow, that's a really hard choice.
    Every other quest there is a way to get the "extra" item (pickpocket/kill somebody before they leave/etc...).

This one is a tough choice if you want a crossbow.

The other path gives you the +1/+4 sword that helps kill the doublegangers.
    That's a nice item too.

:book:

10. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

As I havent played BG1 for a little while now, my memory may be a little foggy but do you not get that sword when you kill Aldeth in the woods anyways?

11. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

This is true but then you can forget about the Merchant League altogether.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.