1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc vs. Valygar

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Strider1229, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Strider1229 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. ayecapitan Guest

other than minsc can use armor better than studded leather and valygar can stealth himself there are not many differences
    though valygar gives ye a quest, and me thought's that he is much less annoying than minsc

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Minsc - He has much better dialogue, especially if you have jan as well.

4. ayecapitan Guest

most people just cannot let minsc go - he certainly has some charismatic aura, prolly based on his not-so-brightness =)
    I'd suggest using both rangers, valygar also has his advantages (backstab he can)
    minsc can be used to wield some of two-handers if ye lack others to do so and...
    minsc & lilarcor => perfect match, i bet me arse, this sword is chaotic good with intelligence around 8 =)

5. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

minsc, he's more interesting and fun, always has a clever remark, not to mention the all-might boo.

when i found valygar i let him join me, but after a while he got very annoying and dull, and that was his death sentence.

6. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

It's real hard to beat the dialouge that Minsc has. However, Valygar has a better Dex so he's better with bows, slightly better AC and he comes with unique armor and a unique Katana that only he can use.

If you dual wield that Katana with Celestial Fury Valygar can rock the bad guys big time.

Otherwise they are very comparable cept Minsc has "Beserker strength, Boo, and Minsc is Minsc is Minsc". I opt more for Valygar these days just due to the Sphere Quest and the Bounty Quest to go get him in the first place.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just a short thought.
    Minsc is useable in any party especially against admantites. Valygar is not - depends on your protagonist(s) class and can be a real pain in the ass in fights!

8. ayecapitan Guest

if ye lack a cleric and/or mage to use amulet of power, ye can use minsc to kill vampires (his racial enemy they are) with the mace of disruption... otherwise its a matter of preference, i see valygar a better warrior in academic sense, at least his dual-weapon skill is combined with katana specialization, and dagger proficiency (ever tried using pixie prick and c'fury? very interesting effect - pixie paralyzes and fury disintegrates =)). minsc's duality is... um... i usually make him use a two-hander, and jaheira was right to call him imbecile, while valygar has some bitter humour in his head

and one more - valygar's racial enemy is golem, and c'fury stuns those as well - so those iron/adamantite/clay ones become less dangerous, but its for straightforward fighters, me though's to avoid as many of those as i can =)

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited April 15, 2001).]

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Party organization can be somehow difficult when playing a good melee character.

Minsc is a problem for me: He´s a good fighter (and good aligned too) so he´s perfect for my pallys party. But he has no quest. So my problem actually is having too many tanks: Donaldus/ Cavalier, Minsc, Keldorn, Anomen and, to some point, Jaheira. Nalia´s my mage at the moment (I´ve never been so short of thieving abilities - shudder).

Valygar will join my party when Keldorn goes for his family life - that should be enough time to complete the planar spere quest.

I want to take Imoen and Mazzy too so I have to decide who to drop for both: Imoen will replace nalia - that´s sure, but who to drop for Mazzy?
    I´m almost sure that this will be SIR Anomen, so I can go for Umar Hills only when I got this part of the quest. The only thing worrying me is not to have a real cleric in my party - so dealing with bohdi could be tricky later ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 15, 2001).]

10. Hrast Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hard one. Most people likes Minsc`s dialogs and comments, but I just think he is annoying(but I am told to be veird).
    I have BOTH in my party. Minsc is dual wielding axes and Valygar katanas, they both have boots of speed, aproximatly same number of kills (30% each) and same AC (-4 at the moment).

11. ayecapitan Guest

they give 91k xp for killing Bodhi, but in me opinion she is more than harmless with amulet of power
    Twas Jan who killed her in me party, wiping out her sidekicks with daystar's sunray, then stoneskinning and hitting her with fire tooth dagger

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Ragusa, I think that if you send Keldorn off to his family and release him from your service, you'll never see him again. Unless you looked somewhere I didn't. So If you'd rather have Valygar, fine. But If you'd rather have Keldorn, just whack Valygar and use his body to enter, like I did. btw Amulet of Power, where was that? Can't remember getting it or not.

13. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

The Amulet of Power is given to you by Aran Linvail of the Shadow Thieves after you complete his first two tasks concerning the vampires.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :D Since I need someone to wield Carsomyr later (with the benefit of hindsight) I just gave Kheldorn 1 day off - in fact this will be 4 days but that´s acceptable.

I guess I found a solution for my cleric/ Anomen problem: I think the only time you really need a cleric is in the ruins/ shadow lord quest - you can deal with the Vamps & Mummies with brute force quite well. Maybe I´ll try to complete the lich quests with Anomen in my party, could be useful there too.

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

What about leading Viconia and control those undead?

16. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Also - Have Minsc dual-wield crom faer and Celestial fury. Then, if you make him wear that helmet which enables the wearer to cast simulcrum.... :D

17. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like Minsc better myself, although I really have nothing against Valygar. I think Minsc and my character just have more history together and I can't imagine having a party without him.

18. ayecapitan Guest

i can imagine having a party without him
    Me party is chaotic evil elf, chaotic evil dwarf (korgan), a drow priestess (!viconia) and an self-concerned mage (edwin)
    all we do is work for reward, steal, kill, kill, kill once again... minsc would go nuts

19. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] There is no way I'm giving up Minsc. The options just aren't better. He stays and so does Korgan. Me with those two compose the fron line (me-Ranger/Cleric). I have Keldorn too, but he's actually not as good as the others, his sword isn't all that. He does have that awesome dispel magic, though. I didn't take Valygar. I may miss out on the Planar Sphere. You know, one of the problems with taking new NPCs is you often have to dump the inventory of the person you're booting. I didn't get the chance when Valygar showed up, so I didn't take him. I don't think I'll get another chance to take him on either. Oh well.

20. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I used Valygar to open that planar sphere. When I finished it I left him. I had Valygar instead of Yoshimo and that's a better choise. But I also had him at the same time as Minsc and I would have to say Minsc is far more better. He can have far better armor class (Armor of the Hart, Reddragon scale) and even if you give Valygar celestial fury, you can give minsc Lilarcor, although I prefered to give him the flail of ages along with the skull crusher (mace+3, +6 against humanoid sized creatures, I thought)
    So get Minsc if you want to get one of 'em. But If you can, I'd say use both of 'em, because Valygar has one hell of a backstabb!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.