1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc should equip what?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] I am at a dillemma. Should I let Minsc use two handed weapons or two weapon fighting? I think it is a common problem as he is a ranger and already has ++in two weapon fighting.

I want to equip him with FlaiOfAges(it is a devastating weapon) and upgrade it too, plus CromFaeyr for backhand weapon for massive str bonus. Will it be more poweful than a regular two-handed sword Minsc? What is the difference? What does your Minsc use to kick evil butts? (besides his boots :D )

O'course two handed weapons have NASTY abilities like..VORPAL hits and such. I am at a los here. What do you think?

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, i always give him 2-handed sword, that's IMO the real weapon for Minsc. "No effect? we need bigger swords." :D

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

ATM, in my game, Minsc has Sentinel shield, red dragon scale, and Crom Fayer. AC-11, THAC0-9. Does the job of a tank pretty well. Consider it at least. ;)

But if you have to choose between those two, I'd take two weapons instead of one simply because of the special abilities. CF for 25 STR (although one belt can do the same) and FoA for 'slow.'

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I've always given Minsc a two handed sword, until I could get ** in a one handed weapon I like (usually a Flail or Axe). Crom Faeyr is one of the best off-hand weapons in the game, and so is the Equalizer. I also like the Defender of Easthaven.

Anyway, don't worry about being proficient in the offhand weapon, just pick that one on the bonuses it gives you.

5. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Two-handed swords for the entire game. Minsc and Lilarcor were made for each other ;) Besides, if you equip him with a two-handed weapon, you can still make use of his proficiency with long bows.

In most of my parties, no one dual-wields.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It depends what your character is going to use, after all there is only one CF and one FoA.
    IMO they made a mess of his proficiency points, I would have put points in two handed weapons the way it is he can do both without being really specialized, so you should determine right from the start what you're going to do: either give him points in two handed weapons or get him a third point in two weapon fighting and choose a weapon (mace is the most likely choice though as it has been pointed out this doesn't make sense given his comments about swords)

7. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

In my last ToB game I had Minsc go two-weapon using Angurvadal and the Axe of the Unyielding. I almost felt sorry for Yaga-Shura's soldiers.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well my character uses StaffofMagi so no problem.

I still believe CromFaeyr+FoA is a bit more versatile, due to bonuses of both weapons. But proficiencies is a big problem, he now has + in warhammers and flails, ++ in two weapon. He has ++twohanded sword and ++two handed weaponstyle and is at a pretty good level(even gotten first HLA and I am still at the end of underdark! Good)

Can someone calculate the damage per round for me if he uses Cf and FoA or a twohanded sword(his str will be just 19 in this case) and THAC0S plus number of attacks? I want to see the difference!

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

If he's high enough level to have HLAs, THAC0 isn't going to be a problem. And thankfully, you can just assume a hit every time, as critical hits and misses should balance out (5% chance for miss, 5% chance for double).

STR 19 = +7 damage
    STR 25 = +14 damage

Two-handed sword: 2.5 attacks per round, 1d10 + 9 damage each
    2.5 * 13.5 = 33.75 damage per round (plus extra damage based on weapon * 2.5)

Crom Faeyr + FoA: 2 & 1 attacks per round, 2d4 +17 damage Crom Faeyr, 1d6 +21 damage FoA
    2 * 24.5 + 1 * 22 = 49 + 22 = 71 damage per round (assuming FoA in primary hand)

BIG difference.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that once you get ** in flails, you'll get another half attack per round with the FoA. This results in another 12.25 damage per round, for a total of 93.25 damage per round! :eek:

[ August 08, 2005, 01:52: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Felinoid, I love it when you can break it down like that. It's awesome!

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Keep in mind, though, that other characters like Viconia or Anomen can benefit a lot more from Crom Faeyr's 25 STR than Minsc. You can also dual-wield Crom Faeyr with a weapon that adds attacks, like Belm, for extra CF carnage. :evil:

Personally, I agree with Truper that Minsc and Liliacor seem made for each other. :grin:

12. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Minsc with Halberds does it for me :)

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Geez I believed FoA&CF combo is better, now I know it is! IMHO, the damage is greater, and FoA's slow effect and multiple elemental damage is just the icing on the cake. Thanks Felinoid! I will make the dual-wielding CRUSHER Minsc!

BTW I do not have Viccy(she is evil and a Nightcloak of Shar!) Anomen(too annoying plus he tried to ROMANCE with my MALE PC because some mode I have! NO NO NO definitely not my type! :D )

I have strong Jaheira(NO CF or FoA allowed,she uses good clubs and scimitars from Improved Item modes, plus the good old Sling of Seeking for ranged damage), fragile Aeire(I do not use her as a fighting power she just casts spells all day long), dear Imoen(She uses darts, daggers, bows, staves with good abilities, whatever at hand), plus MP created loyal kensai(Celestial Fury+5 and Sanchuudoku+4 makes him AWESOME to behold!) and big me, cleric dualled into mage, and I use Staff of Magi(and even thinking the past battle of Improved Rune still makes me shiver. I REALLY deserve it!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.