1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mind Flayers are the hardest creatures in either game

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by aerilon, Aug 8, 2002.

1. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have to say, I think Mind Flayers are the toughest creatures in the game. Every single fight I have ever had with them where one of my party members closed to melee, that character has died. The mind eating thing where it lowers INT always kills me. Before I reach level 15 and am able to summon Skeletal Warriors, though, I don't see what else I can do. And even then, if I want to send a fighter to melee, I still have to worry about them dying by the Int drain.

Is there any way to prevent the Mind Flayers from draining your characters' INT?

2. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Not that I know of, but there are other things you can do:
    1) Get a good AC. Use any AC improving means at your disposal (spells, potions, alternate equipment). Illithids don't have much of a THACO so you should be able quite easily to lower their odds of hitting you to 5% ("natural 20 roll").
    2) Use potions of genius and mind-focussing to raise your intelligence so you can withstand a few more hits.

3. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just kill them really fast. :shake:

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    There are also Brine potions (Ilithid lair in the Underdark), a Greenstone amulet (I think it is found in beholder lair in the Underdark), and the Psion's blade (the place where you find the hearts to kill Yaga Shura). There are propably more items that will protect you from mind flayers.

5. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Kenneth, I used the Brine Potions, and, while they protected me from the charms and things like that, the Illithids were still able to drain my characters' Int, and kill them quickly. I haven't used the Greenstone Amulet I found, so I don't know if it just protects from the same things as the potions or also the int drain. And as for the Psion's Blade, well, that's in the TOB areas, and I'm playing through the regular SOA game with TOB installed.

By the time I go to fight the Illithid, my front line fighters that I send in tend to have -10 or better AC. Maybe I've just been unlucky and they've managed to get quite a few criticals, but I still tend to die quickly.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I had allot of troubles with mind flayers to so I created a spell that protects me from their stupid effect like Int drain, charm,... ;)

The only tactic that succeeded with me was to grab as many ranged weapons as I could and attack with everything I've got. :flaming: :flaming:

7. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Aerilon, mind flayers don't detect invisible enemies, so if you make one character invisible you can block the doorway, that way they can't get near your fighters. All you have to do now is give someone with a ranged weapon chaotic commands and voila target practise.

Ohw, and when using the melee tactics be sure to lure them to a doorway, so you only have one of them jabbing at you. If they surround you, you're dead meat no matter the AC.

[ August 08, 2002, 11:05: Message edited by: StressedE ]

8. Timberwolf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well fri me i use the "i gonna kick your nuts" way
    so i put my cavalier and minsc in the front line with valygar too and they meele but before they go in meele i do some kill cloud on them and by closing doors so they are bllocked and weakened
    and after my meele start! and minzzy in in the back with is arrow!

9. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmmm... difficult one.

Those protection from Psionic things don't protect you from mind drain.

I've always found summoning alot and hiding round the corner works, especially at low levels like in the Temple District Sewers.

At higher levels Dragon's Breath (that fave spell of mine again) works well... does that spell not account for magic resistence?

At medium levels (say if you went to the underdark before going to Watcher's Keep) the Summoned Swords do well. The level 7 Cleric spell Bolt of Glory hit the mark too.

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My recipe is this:

1. Scout with your thief (or Valygar)
    2. When you spot them bring up a mage to fire cloudkill, if there are Umber Hulks.
    3. When the Cloudkill dissipates, use your thief (or Valygar) to backstab one.
    4. Lead the rest into a ranged weapons ambush. Web or Entangle are very helpful as well.

If you must melee them, use potions of Genius when your fighters get intelligence drained.

One backstab will usually make a mindflayer panic. If you have boots of speed on your thief, you can usually run out of the room and hide in shadows again. Just keep the rest of the party pretty far back. By the time the rest of the group of mindflayers can reach your group (and their ranged weapons) most of them are dead or in a panic.

[ August 08, 2002, 15:48: Message edited by: Jack Funk ]

11. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You can get Valygar to backstab? I can't seem to get him to do so. My thief does it just fine, so it isn't my technique and I've even stripped him down so he's wearing no equipment that should prevent him from doing so.

Also, what do you guys use to get your fighter's AC to -10 and lower? I've never been able to do so.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    If your equipment is good enough then so is your AC. My fighter/mage has -20 AC with only one custom item.

13. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31

Good gosh. What equipment are you wearing (and what is the custom item?)

14. Timberwolf Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] heh ring of -20 ac?

15. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

About AC, well, let's see...

base AC: -2 (there are a coupla such armors in ToB iirc) and that's not accounting for armor type bonuses vs certain wpn types
    Dex bonus: -4
    Ring of Gaxx: -2
    Ring of Earth control: -1
    Helm: -1
    Amulet: there's a great one for thieves, but nothing there for fighters on top of my mind
    Cloak of the sewers: -1
    shield: -5
    weapon: -1
    belt: you could get a -3/-4 bonus there vs one wpn type
    boots: you could get a further -5 vs missiles there but you'll be wearing boots of speed most probably
    Weapon style: you could get a further bonus vs missiles there

Now let's see:
    -2 -4 -2 -1 -1 -1 -5 -1 = -17

So you can get a base -17 AC, with further bonuses vs certain weapon types.

Then on top of that, you can use a variety of AC enhancing spells / potions (a potion of mind focusing will get your dex bonus to -5 for instance).

:)

16. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31

Ahhh, I see. I have both my main fighters dual weilding (with two slots in the dual wield style).

I also have my earth control and ring of Gaxx spread out between the two.

I didn't think that some of those items would work with your magical main armor (or is there non-magical AC -2 armor?)

17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The custom item I have is my armor. It has -3 AC and does not count as magical that is why I have my AC on -20.

18. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31

Ahhh, that would certainly help explain it. :)

19. Local_Yokel Gems: 1/31

*Priest spell Chaotic Commands
    *Use Mage spell Teleport Field and have everybody use ranged weapons (does not work against Ulitalis)

THE EASIEST WAY:
    Summon five Mordekien's(sp?) Swords and send them into whatever room you need to. You can do that whole illithid city in the underdark with five swords and some area-effect spells

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If you're going to play like that, why not just import the killsword? Of course, quite a few of you are suggesting cheesy tactics.

Basically, the only real tactic I can give you: Haste your fighters, concentrate on one flayer at a time, summon creatures into the melee as needed to provide distaction.

By the time you get to ToB, flayers should be like kobolds with the Psionic Blade.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.